Any interest in a NE GUE/UTD social group or forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drydiver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A while back I opted into the SoCal DIR forum and think what they do over there is great for meeting other GUE/UTD divers for buddy hook ups, trips, training etc.

Any interest here in the North East for something similar?

I was thinking about an opt-in forum for those who are enrolled in or have taken GUE/UTD training

Although I am not aware of a UTD contingent here in the east, I recently saw an IDC in the MD/VA area :idk:

Suggestions welcome, feel free to pm me as well

Donna

There is always North East Underwater Explorers (http://www.ne-ue.info/) however, it has been dead the past few years. As far as a forum over here, I'd be interested. Although I'm not sure how much I'd use it personally as most of my local buddies aren't GUE/UTD/DIR trained nor have any interest.

Yup, I'm interested. YGPM.

I already sent this to you as a PM, Donna, but I will say the same here in the thread:

While I am not actually a GUE "graduate" :shakehead: I would certainly be interested in a forum dedicated to discussing that facet of the sport.

Would this be a closed, members only forum, where only the invited could see the forum, or a limited forum where only members could post, but leaving the forum visible, where it can be read by others who might have an interest, even though they could not post as non members?

I would personally prefer the latter, as it makes the discussion available for others, so they can read and learn. That way, a casual interest might lead to request to join in the discussion by other divers who have yet to get their feet wet using this system, or divers familiar with this type of diving, but who we have yet to meet.

There is always North East Underwater Explorers (http://www.ne-ue.info/) however, it has been dead the past few years. As far as a forum over here, I'd be interested. Although I'm not sure how much I'd use it personally as most of my local buddies aren't GUE/UTD/DIR trained nor have any interest.

I dont think relying on the NEUE to get organize everything and help provide a nice place for the curious to investigate is a good idea; I think a NE forum is a grand idea though.

BTW, Lewis, I def know a few GUE trained divers in your area; seems you need to get out more :wink:

Reactions: Tug
I've never heard of the NEUE, so thanks for the link, Lewis.

I like the idea if we can keep it from becoming another place to bash GUE/UTD and their system of diving. If the posters took some GUE/UTD training and dive the system then the forum will be a healthy place to connect GUE/UTD divers on dives, on trips and in discussions of the system.

If it’s another forum for posters to ask why this is clipped off to that, why this is worn on the right or left side and why this is done this way, then *no*, cause we already have a forum for it and it is titled with the dreaded “D” word.

You cannot understand a system in piecemeal or in fragments from internet postings and too often those are the threads or discussions I see and I have no interest in participating in those threads/forums.
If we can have a forum where divers who like the system and dive the system come together, hell yes, let's go for it.

Reactions: Tug
I dont think relying on the NEUE to get organize everything and help provide a nice place for the curious to investigate is a good idea; I think a NE forum is a grand idea though.

BTW, Lewis, I def know a few GUE trained divers in your area; seems you need to get out more :wink:

I wasn't suggesting relying on NEUE but just pointing it out...

Oh, I know a few myself. :wink: However up until a few months back I already had a buddy that I did most of my dives with. I'll give you a shout shortly...

I also think it's a good idea. While I no longer live in the northeast US, I still have family there and will visit/dive.

I would like to follow and participate too.

Excited to see how this goes. As I told drydiver via PM, I'd like to get some charters going regularly, just like the SoCal DIR and dir-explorers.com (UK) folks do. Should be a rockin' time.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom