Any other opinions on the Sea Doo Seascooter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yabaman

New
Reaction score
Well it seems like before i actually paid for a sea Doo seascooter (in which i shall be receiving in about a week)i seemed to come across reviews that made it great ,fantastic,a pleasure to own,swift,reliable etc etc etc.
Now i come across JONNYREDS review (somewhere on this site) which makes it seem like a piece of trash.
Have i really fallen into the review trap?is JONNYREDS review or opinion that true?:confused: :confused: :confused: .
Does anybody else own a sea doo?because i would really want a second and third and even fourth opinion.
I really hope JONNYREDS opinion is not true,but if it is.....i shall find out in about a week or so.
Bottom line .....i really do feel depressed and will be very UPSET:upset: if JONNYREDS opinion is correct.
It would make me want to throw a couple of :boom: : at the sea doo manufactures.

Yabaman once bubbled...
Well it seems like before i actually paid for a sea Doo seascooter (in which i shall be receiving in about a week)i seemed to come across reviews that made it great ,fantastic,a pleasure to own,swift,reliable etc etc etc.
Now i come across JONNYREDS review (somewhere on this site) which makes it seem like a piece of trash.
Have i really fallen into the review trap?is JONNYREDS review or opinion that true?:confused: :confused: :confused: .
Does anybody else own a sea doo?because i would really want a second and third and even fourth opinion.
I really hope JONNYREDS opinion is not true,but if it is.....i shall find out in about a week or so.
Bottom line .....i really do feel depressed and will be very UPSET:upset: if JONNYREDS opinion is correct.
It would make me want to throw a couple of :boom: : at the sea doo manufactures.

I forgot about this post until it came up again.

I recently read an article that said that in testing it was fairly slow and the battery life was about 40 minutes (maybe in warm water it would be a few minutes longer). That seems awfully short to me. My dives are usually an hour or more and I think I would get tired of toting it around with a dead battery for a significant part of every dive.

Worse yet, if you're not careful you'll be left hanging part way through a dive with a dead scooter and a long swim back.

If it had a 90 minute battery life then it would become a lot more interesting..... Just my 2c worth.

R..

I have used the sea-doo scooter and it did ok. It's not going to get you anywhere fast but it will get you there. As far as battery time, we got an hour before the battery signed off. It is easy to handle underwater if you make it neutral by adding weight. I demoed an apollo scooter and there is no comparison, the apollo is hands down better than the sea doo. The apollo is also four times more expensive than the sea doo also. It's like everythingelse, you get what you pay for. The sea doo can be used for the lesiurely dive and will carry you from point A to point B and back without any problems. Now if you want to do tricks or if speed is an issue then save your bucks and go for the apollo/dacor unit or some unit along that line. Just my 2 cents.

Ken

Without getting into the Latin, it basically means "as compared with".

The Kracken:
Without getting into the Latin, it basically means "as compared with".

Are you SURE that it doesn't mean Variable Speed?
I think they have at least one model that is variable.

btw.... what does VS mean in Latin?

There are now a few models avalible, the original which I own - Slow, 50mins battery life with the supplied 7ah bat 1hr 20 mins with a 12ah bat. one speed - and the newer models with two speeds, the supercharged version is twice as fast and has over the hour run time.
http://www.daka.com.hk/products/index.php?cat=PET

Follow this link for all the details

Its a toy, as mentioned, you get what you pay for.
That said, it does work and is good fun for the price. :wink:

My mistake. I thought there was a comparison between the Sea-Doo and the Apollo.
I recognize the error of my ways. I will go and sin no more.

I've had the VS Supercharged on about 16 dives over the past 3 months or so and it is a whole lot of fun. It's easy to use, can definitely move some water and the higher end models have a pretty good battery life (hour and a half or so on the low speed setting.) Once in the water if you weight the buoyancy chamber correctly it's pretty much neutral-slightly negative. It's a very nice design and for the price it can't be beat. Although I do have two complaints about it. The first one is that the handles feel VERY flimsy on land. You pick it up and you feel them move slightly. If dropped hard enough I would not be suprised to see one break off. My only other complaint is that it's difficult (but not impossible) to manuever with one hand. Even with it's drawbacks I am still very happy with my purchase.

A couple of the LDS's here have gotten several of the VS Supercharged models in. There are 4 sea doo models if you count the one they admit is a pool toy. Here is a description and pics of all of them:

http://www.yachtdiver.com/seadoo/index.shtml

You have to be carefull when talking about seascooters so as to be sure what model you're referencing ... they range from "WTF .... You must be kidding" to "almost a usefull scooter"

As for the VS Supercharged, divers who have never scootered before seem to like them a lot. They are light and easy to carry around, that seems to be a big plus to a lot of their following. The battery does seem to last about an hour to an hour and a quarter. Unless it's a really shallow dive, you can likely not have to worry about running out of battery before you run low on air. Except for a couple big porky guys, no one's yet had to swim one back with a dead battery.

Now you gotta figure that since it's a 12volt battery with a 12Ah rating, and it's lasting as long as 24V / 18Ah scooters like the Mako and shortbody Gavins and SS's, .... that there has to be a catch. .....There is .... It's in the speed rating. .... It's rated at up to 3 mph ...the only way this thing can make 3mph is straight down with cinder blocks tied to it. If I set my prop pitch almost all the way back (min speed) ... I still have to stop every 20 yards and wait till they catch up. You don't want to have to fight a current using one of these. The other irritating thing, besides the snaillike pace is the noise. It's a small high rpm motor with a gear reduction system ... it sounds like a cross between a Waring blender and a cheap electric razor. One of the things I like about diving is the tranquility, diving around a bunch of these things is about as "tranquil" as a stadium moto cross event.

All in all, though, for those not having any previous scooter experience, they make a decent entry level scooter for the money. Just don't harbor any unrealistic expectations based on what you know of the larger scooters available.

Darlene

Back
Top Bottom