Any reason for a newer diver not to go with a streamlined setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@No2rdame I stole it from James Mott of "The Great Dive Podcast" so I can't claim it as my own.

on the restriction, it's a non-issue, nothing to worry about. When you tuck your chin all the way, the mouthpiece is supposed to be right there at your mouth. No restriction whatsoever
Thanks. I didn't think it would be an issue, but just something I wanted to ask about to be sure.

@No2rdame I stole it from James Mott of "The Great Dive Podcast" so I can't claim it as my own.

on the restriction, it's a non-issue, nothing to worry about. When you tuck your chin all the way, the mouthpiece is supposed to be right there at your mouth. No restriction whatsoever
It’s the longgggg hose that'll kill ya :eek::D

Been running that for a decade. I don't have a swivel on the reg, but I do have a fixed elbow (the 110° works better for me than the 90°). Adds a single O-ring to the hose. I have a variety of hoses I tried over time to fine tune the feel. Get everything in just right, end hose tug with full range of motion of the head.

Thought of one more question... In getting my regs, should I get Yoke or DIN and just buy a DIN-to-Yoke adapter? I'll mainly be diving in the US, but for those rare times I may want to go elsewhere I don't want to be limited.

Thought of one more question... In getting my regs, should I get Yoke or DIN and just buy a DIN-to-Yoke adapter? I'll mainly be diving in the US, but for those rare times I may want to go elsewhere I don't want to be limited.

ironically pretty much everwhere except the US and the caribbean use din, and many are switching to pro valves that have inserts. DIN can become yoke much easier than the other way around, so I'd go DIN. Diving yoke only may be a bit less comfortable due to the extension, but it's the 90% rule of what you're going to use

All of my newest regs are DIN. Most places today will have at least some DIN valves. There is always the yoke adaptor that a DIN regulator screws into.

Thanks. I've seen good and bad on the DIN-to-Yoke connectors, but would probably get one from Dive Gear Express. I'd rather have the ability to use my gear everywhere I go.

I'm looking at going with a streamlined regulator setup where the primary is on a 40" hose routed under my arm with a swivel at the end and an octo on a 22" attached via a necklace holder. Are there any reasons not to go with this setup, apart from it's not the standard and you'd have to share your primary? Being that I did my OW dives and a few rentals with an integrated air source, the idea of sharing the primary is not that big of a concern and would just involve making sure any dive partner knows the setup first.

Main reasons I'd like to go with a streamlined is simplicity and, obviously, streamlining. While the integrated air idea is nice, I'm looking at Deep6 regs and would like to keep both my primary and my backup the same manufacturer for servicing purposes.
Streamlined? Is that some marketing thing? Why do you think you need it?

I do not swim much. I am not streamlined. Especially my fat belly...

Streamlined? Is that some marketing thing? Why do you think you need it?

I do not swim much. I am not streamlined. Especially my fat belly...
LOL. Streamlining is just a different way of setting your regs up with shorter hoses and routing. You donate your primary second stage and have the backup under your chin as opposed to further down on the body. Because you donate your primary, the hose is longer and the backup is on a shorter one.

There is plenty of reasoning behind it, but I just happen to prefer that setup based on my preferences.

Just remember to clip your primary to your BC before climbing aboard or you’ll drag and or walk all over it!

Back
Top Bottom