Any recent rescue divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to be AOW and have about 20 logged dives. I am really interested in doing the rescue diver course for a few reasons:

a) you get the added benefit of the CPR course which I think is beneficial for all. I took it once in high school but never mastered it. About a year ago I witnessed a huge car wreck and was unable to perform CPR; fortunately about 90 seconds later someone came to perform it. I felt kind of bad.

b) I think it will teach me tools that will make me a safer diver and a calmer diver when little issues come up under water.

I'm only 24 and although I'm not in awesome shape I'm in decent shape. What exactly is involved in the entire process. Do you who have it feel it was a beneficial course?

I really want my g/f to do it with me, but she doesn't really want to, she feels AOW is enough.

Finally, one of my co-workers who's a very experienced diver told me to be careful because if some dive operators see you're PADI rescue diver and something happens you could be somewhat liable for not helping. Those weren't his exact words, but it something about limited liability in emergencies. In addition, I don't want to sound selfish here, but there's only so much I'd personally risk for saving another. If someone falls down to 200', sorry nothing I can do since I'm not trained in deco. If someone is fighting with me too rough down there and I can't get it under control, at a certain point I'd have to protect myself and get away from the situation. Maybe I can be taught tactics to deal with these, but every situation is different. Please chime in with your thoughts on.

Thanks

The Stress and Rescue course is a very good course. I've recently taken it through my LDS, which is an SSI shop.

Stress and Rescue teaches you how to reconize the signs of stress in yourself as well as others and how to take steps to mitigate the stress and if the stress turns into a panic or some other sort of rescue scenario is needed, it teaches you how to take the proper steps to perform a rescue. It also teaches you how to prepare yourself before the dives for the potential of a rescue.

It's definitely a recommended course for any diver to take.

A recent thread from a couple of us who just did rescue is HERE.

Although I'm not an attorney, I don't believe there is any obligation of a non-professional to provide any service. In other words, just because you took Rescue, you aren't legally liable if you don't participate in rescuing someone. (This gets discussed periodically with respect to dive buddies and whether they have any duty of care, and I'm not sure anybody really knows.) And the class repeatedly stresses that you should never create two victims, especially by wading in to situations that are beyond your competence.

It was a good class, but the bottom line I took home from it was that it's worth doing whatever you need to do to make sure you never need to be rescued :)

Hi there,
The YMCA SLAM (Scuba Life-Saving and Accident Management) course is also very good, and gives ideas on how to avoid and deal with incidents.

One of the first things that any rescue course will tell you that is, as unfortunate as it sounds, it is better to have only one casualty than two. There are times when you may have a hard choice to make - between attempting to help someone, or possibly becoming another casualty.

For me, the course was a good one. It did teach rescue techniques (above and below surface) but the main emphasis was on avoiding an incident in the first place - by watching people, surroundings and their interaction. It has definitely helped me to become a better, more aware diver, and some of the benefits have also passed into everyday life and situations. I would recommend a rescue course to anyone.

I don't think you'd be held liable from what I remember from my lifeguard training is if you're a trained professional you can be held liable if you make a huge mistake like doing compressions on the guys leg instead of chest. As just a normal citizen who knows CPR you cannot be punished by law if you don't save someone. The rescue course I believe (haven't taken it just heard alot about it) teaches to think about your safety first. (on land, the old expression "no fire, no wire, no gas, no glass, no poisonous snakes or insects" I can add no overhead no deco obligation) Hope this helps

wow you guys are fast

I just finished my rescue course (PADI) and it was well worth it. My wife and I both took it and we both have a much greater appreciation of how difficult it would be to get someone else out of trouble -- therefore the BEST rescue is the one that is prevented. I'd continue to urge your GF to take the class -- it is worth it.

There is a lot of discussion about a person's "liability to rescue" in the various circumstances. The general rule is if you start something, continue to do it to the best of your ability and training -- and if you've had a rescue class your level of training would be greater than someone who had not.

As an attorney I really hate to say "This is the general rule" or "This is the law" because: a. I haven't studied the "law of rescue" in my jurisdiction let alone yours; and b. The law is different depending on where you are.

Can you be sued if you do something or if you don't do something? Yup. Can you be found liable? Yup. Is it likely that if you act within the "standards" you learned (regardless if in rescue, OW or AOW) that you will hear anything except Thank You, not likely. Sorry I can't answer your liability question better.

What's the answer? Keep your homeowners/renters/personal liability insurance current!

I know from reading my DiveCon material that it say's that professionals are held to a higher standard than non-professionals and that professionals are expected to put themselves at greater risk to help others. The professional can be held liable especially if the professional was expected to look after the group of divers.

I don't remember seeing anything like that in my rescue material.

Thanks for the posts and thanks for that great link. My girlfriend is only 105-110 LBS so I think she'd get exhaust and frustrated. I'm starting to think maybe this is something I should just do. That said, did any of you take the class alone without a buddy?

The rescue class is instructor dependant. I just took my second rescue class. The first time was PADI and the second time was NAUI. There was a huge difference between the two. I don't feel that the difference was as much agency, as it was instructor. My first was about 10 years ago. That class took a weekend(one day on class and one day at a lake). After not using any of my skills for 8 years, I decided to retake it. This class lasted 3 weeks(4 classroom sessions, two pool sessions, and a day at the lake). The pool sessions almost killed me and my instructor is a sadist, but I feel like I know what the hell I'm doing, now. I think the instructor can make or break a class. I have become a safer and more relaxed diver.
You are NOT required or responsible for a rescue or an assist unless you are serving in a professional capacity and that is a job expectation. And like the others said, "Do not become a second victim", is the most important rule
chris

Back
Top Bottom