Any recent rescue divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as being small, I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. One of the great things about going through the Rescue course was recognizing the limitations of what I can do to help my husband in the event of an emergency, and learning some better techniques (lifts, etc.) to help make up for the difference in our sizes and strengths. I also learned some pitfalls of managing his equipment -- like don't overinflate a back-inflate BC when you are trying to tow somebody, because they rock and roll if you do.

As far as convincing your GF to do Rescue . . . If she really doesn't want to, she won't. But if she is your frequent dive buddy, you can point out to her that taking the class together will help both of you learn the best and most effective techniques to help one another in the event of something going wrong.

I just have to say, if I am in need of oxygen and you are not certified to administer it (and it is on hand) give it to me anyway. I won't sue.

Good samaritan laws DO vary from location. Some good samaritan laws require help be given by layman. Once help is begun, (generally) you are now responsible to continue helping until emergency response can take over.

As already mentioned. STAY WITHIN THE SCOPE OF YOUR TRAINING! (except to give me oxygen when I need it) No tracheotomies just because you saw it performed on ER.

I completed my Rescue certification late last summer, and think it was probably the most useful course that Ive taken. I would would highly recommend it to all divers who dive on a regular basis. As we all know, diving can be a very dangerous sport, and accidents can and do happen. The difference between life and death of a good friend, spouse, son, daughter, etc., could be your ability to save them. I feel like I owe it to those I dive with on a regular basis, to be trained to save thier life in the event of a diving emergency. That was one of the main reasons I took the course.

The ability to save other fellow divers is also a huge asset. Many times when your on vacation, your diving with complete strangers. Many times those divers are novices and unsure about diving in the ocean. One of the vital things taught in Rescue class is that your no longer out there diving just for yourself. As a rescue diver, you should always keep your eyes open for problems with other divers. You learn to look for signs of stress in other divers (and yourself), which left unchecked can lead to dive emergencies. You learn how to calm nervous divers down and ease thier stress. You learn to sort of keep an eye on the other divers and quietly make sure thier equipment is connected correctly. You look for signs of hypothermia or heat exhaustion and advise divers what they should and shouldnt do. You learn skills that you will literally use on every dive trip, most of which help to PREVENT diver emergencies.

In the event you do have a diver emergency, being trained to deal with it is always...ALWAYS...better than not being trained. The training teaches you to work as a team with other divers who may be around you. Even as a certified rescue diver, you may be delegated to crowd control, assuming there are other rescue divers, instructors, divemasters, etc. on site.

As for liability, yes the big "L" word will always be with us. Soley as a rescue diver however, you are no more responsible than someone who performs CPR on a person in cardiac arrest. Entering the professional levels (divemaster, instructor) is when one truely becomes more susceptible to being sued. Depending on the state you live in, most states have the "Good Samaritan" act, which basically states an unconscious or unbreathing victim implies consent to be rescued. In other words, you dont need thier permission to help them or provide life safety functions. If they arent breathing....YOU CANT MAKE THEM WORSE by giving CPR. You may crack a few ribs, but at least thier alive. Most people will appreciate that.

Part of the Rescue class deals with properly recording everything that takes place during a dive emergency. All aspects of the accident (that are known) are recorded. Equipment is checked and quarintined for law enforcement. All life safety and first aid functions performed are recorded, as well as patient conditions (breathing-non breathing, pulse, skin conditions, nausea, dizziness, etc.) A report is always filed afterwards with law enforcement and medical personnel, as well as with DAN, and a certifying agency such as PADI. In the event a victim does decide to sue, there will be a wealth of supporting evidence they will have to overcome in order to prove that the standard of care was not met.

Hopefully a rescue certification is something one will never have to use. Chances are that if it is every used, it will more likely be used to assist a panicked diver on the surface....not an unconscious diver on the bottom. In that case, Rescue class teaches you several alternative ways to deal it. The victim will likely offer to buy you dinner afterwards...not sue you. If you attempt to rescue an unconsious diver on the bottom, a suit against you would be very unlikely. Without action on your part, they would most certainly die. If you saved them....they wont likely sue.

Lastly, if you think you may ever want to be a divemaster or instructor, Rescue is a pre-requisite, at least in the PADI system. I dont think you can go wrong taking the course. It will be the most challenging course you've taken yet, but it will also be the most rewarding.

BrianV:
My girlfriend is only 105-110 LBS so I think she'd get exhaust and frustrated. I'm starting to think maybe this is something I should just do.

When I took my rescue class, I was a 5'1" female, slightly overweight and WAY outta shape. I had a total of 16 dives when I started the class. Could barely put my rig together right.

Yes, I got exhausted and frustrated...to the point of tears. But you know what? By the end of the course, I had experienced success. I knew that in a real rescue scenario, I wouldn't have to stand by and think, "Wow, I wish I would have..."

Since then I have been in two real rescue scenarios. My training proved invaluable. You don't always get to control the outcome of the rescue, but you do get to control your actions during the situation.

I would STRONGLY encourage EVERY diver to take a rescue course. And then, help out at your LDS with a rescue course once a year to stay fresh. When you need the skills...they will be there.

Cheers!

Cindy

www.girldiver.com

I just have to say, if I am in need of oxygen and you are not certified to administer it (and it is on hand) give it to me anyway. I won't sue.
Oxygen is regulated by drug laws in the US, perhaps not in some other nations, but the way I did it was ask: "Do you want Oxygen?" "Yes!" "OK" I would never suggest it, as that's when the liability can increase. Odd, but there are complicated possibilities, always.

There is a lot more to the Rescue class, tho. Safe ways to prepare the O2 Kit and a lot more.
costumed-smiley-018.gif

I can't add much to what everyone else has said, so I'll just be redundant. If you want to be a better diver, take rescue. BrianV, your origianl post showed you had issues about when to rescut. In the class, you will learn when to rescue as well as how to rescue.

I just took and passed Rescue Diver, great course, would recommend it to all divers.

DandyDon:
Oxygen is regulated by drug laws in the US, perhaps not in some other nations, but the way I did it was ask: "Do you want Oxygen?" "Yes!" "OK" I would never suggest it, as that's when the liability can increase. Odd, but there are complicated possibilities, always.

There is a lot more to the Rescue class, tho. Safe ways to prepare the O2 Kit and a lot more.
costumed-smiley-018.gif
Amazing. You can pepper your buddy's face with birdshot, but you can't offer up oxygen. What a country.

MoonWrasse:
Amazing. You can pepper your buddy's face with birdshot, but you can't offer up oxygen. What a country.
:33: only in America :D

As to liability aspects of having rescue training, I posted some stuff on a thread about whether someone should take DM training. I'll summarize it here: At least in California, unless you put someone in harm's way or promise to get them out, you have no duty to act. Additionally, at least in California, the basic duty of a co-participant in a sport is not to cause intentional injury or to be reckless. The law recognizes that certain risks are inherent in sports and that to eliminate them changes the sport. Drowning is an inherent risk of swiming. To eliminate that risk changes the game and is not required. Collisions are a part of things like football, basketball, etc. However, while a ski resort has no duty to eliminate mogels (sp?) from a ski run, it does have a duty to maintain the tow rope used to pull a skier back up the slope. (A dangerous tow rope is not an inherent part of skiing.)

That being said, in California it only takes $320 to sue someone... and that covers the filing fee. Whether they can win is another thing entirely. However, even a meritless lawsuit needs to be defended and that could be expensive. Fortunately, in many instances, though not all, homeowners' insurance will pay for the defense.

The foregoing is not specific legal advice and the laws differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. All possible disclaimers are incorporated herein by reference as if set forth in full :)

For myself, I will take what training I want without fear of that training exposing me to liability. Other things I may do may expose me to liability, e.g. *acting* as a DM or instructor or giving advice about diving, but I'm not worried about having training or a designation.

Back
Top Bottom