Any recommendations for a lower price good beginner reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkPorter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Pretty much the title. I'm new to diving and want to get some of my own gear but it's all very expensive, especially for a new diver who is also a teenager on minimum wage.

Pretty much the title. I'm new to diving and want to get some of my own gear but it's all very expensive, especially for a new diver who is also a teenager on minimum wage.

What's your budget?

You can't beat these guys: I have to admit they are friends. I've known Chris for over 20 years now.

I did a good bit of research before I bought scuba gear for my son and I, and we ended up ordering this package a few years ago: Buy Scuba Gear Value System Package at Low Price | Divers Supply - this is a great economical option that is cheaper than many used sets (especially when you add $$ to have used gear serviced/inspected by a dive shop). Sea Elite is just Divers Supply's store brand on Edge/HOG gear, which is good gear. So, any Edge/HOG dealer can service them, though Divers Supply makes it easy and quick to send in for service (they'll send you a UPS lable), and for Sea Elite gear Divers Supply will provide any parts necessary during maintenance for free.

Check out the other reviews on there also. We did 2 upgrades from their options: (1) we upgraded the Regulator to the Covert regulator - which is balanced, so can breathe a bit easier at depth (deepest I've had it so far is 122 feet); (2) we went with the 3 gauge SPG - which adds a compass to your gauge console, so you always have one with you.

We also separately bought the Mares Puck Pro+ computer that they offer as an option on this package -- a basic one-button computer that performs all basic functions that a recreational diver might need (works fine with Nitrox also). One button can be annoying at times, but overall a nice simple computer that works fine.

Extra tip: If you create a Divers Supply account and then put the package in your shopping cart, and then leave without buying it -- they will usually send a 10% off coupon to you in a day or so, which is a nice chunk of change off.

If I were you, I'd make sure that a local dive shop will service what you buy. Sure, you could mail it somewhere for service, but if it's a minor tweak that's required you don't want to have to wait for shipping.

From my limited experience, ScubaPro and Mares are easy to find local shops to service.

Also, comparison shop a bit. Find a great price online, then ask the local shop if they'll match it. Odds are they will and you'll make friends with the local shop. That can come in handy if you dive a lot....

Back
Top Bottom