Any rumors on the Garmin descent mk3 display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amine000

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone hear any rumors on the display on the Garmin descent mk3? I'm praying for an AMOLED, and if it does have one, I'll hold out on getting a new computer until it comes out. If not, I'll probably skip it.

@amine000 There's someone on here who claimed to have seen a Mk3 on a Garmin rep in the wild, but they were pretty tight lipped past that. I've been a cyclist longer than I've been a diver, so I'm entrenched in the Garmin ecosystem and was about to get a Mk2i, but accidentally googled "Descent Mk3"... now I have a page with that search open that I refresh daily. There's not much out there, but the consensus seems to be that it would come in the fall, if at all.

I'm also waiting for more info on the mk3... my ideal would be air integration with an AMOLED display that has a case of 48mm or less...

I tweeted Garmin about a week ago begging for some info but received the "no info to share at this time" response.

Is anyone hearing anything about the mk3 release date? I am in the market for an upgrade and am wondering how much longer I should wait before pulling the trigger on a used mk2i.

Currently both the MK2 and MK2i have ruggedness issues:
The MK2 has Stainless Steel which rusts (truly unbelievable ! ).
The MK2i has a dark bezel coating which easily scratches showing a silver T metal underneath.
My wish list for the MK3 is simple: Build it tougher.

The MK2i has a dark bezel coating which easily scratches showing a silver T metal underneath.
I wear my Mk2i everyday, for almost 3 years now. the bezel is barely showing any wear. It isn't quite as tough as the sapphire covered display, but far from easily scratched.

I wear my Mk2i everyday, for almost 3 years now. the bezel is barely showing any wear. It isn't quite as tough as the sapphire covered display, but far from easily scratched.
That's good and I'm pleased for you that you got a unit from a good batch however both rust for SS and fragile coating on the MK2i are known problems discussed on Garmin's forum and a few dive reviews such as Divers Ready.

What would really be awesome is if they could coat it with sapphire some how. The screen looks as good as the day I bought it.

Garmin might have issues with different batches of stainless steel? I bought a Descent Mk2 when it was first launched. After wearing it every day and a bunch of ocean dives and open-water swims I haven't seen any rust.

Back
Top Bottom