Any special skills needed for bp/wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu:
I've dove without an STA and with one. I for one prefer to dive with one, and it provides about 1# of ballast as well. With a standard steel backplate and an STA the rig comes to about 7 lbs. With a DSS backplate and no option to use an STA the weight of the rig would be negative by about 5 lbs.

Thats where these little goodies come into play. No more need for a weighted STA and the tank sits right next to your back not to mention the wing is very quickly and easily removed for cleaning and storage.
http://deepseasupply.com/page8.html

I prefer a single tank adapter to not having one. This is my preference due to the fact that the added weight of the adapter can be helpful. It is possible to weight the plate, weight the adapter, or put weight on the cambands. I prefer this one method. The advantage of the adapter is that it holds the plate tightly and the tank has little oppurtunity to roll from one side to the other(which is common in some STA-less singles wings). I have a preference for metal on the straps, however the DSS rigs do not appear to be this way. I also happen to be madly in love with STA's in general.

There are several good companies around here for us to patronize. This all underlines the importance of a buyer to do research on the product... STA's, different wings and designs, and all these companies can be alot of overload for someone unfamiliar with the system.

As for Diverite, there is nothing wrong with some of their products. However, they make rigs meant to be used for both doubles and singles. They have some wings with bungee on them. I choose to support manufacturers that do not entertain such ideas and stick to what works and what is known to work. For me that means a big slab of steel, some washers and a bolt. For others this means DSS torus wings and their opinions should be noted as well.

Good luck! Lots of different opinions here, and that can only be a positive thing for the original poster and those looking to learn more.

Vayu:
I prefer a single tank adapter to not having one. This is my preference due to the fact that the added weight of the adapter can be helpful. It is possible to weight the plate, weight the adapter, or put weight on the cambands. I prefer this one method. The advantage of the adapter is that it holds the plate tightly and the tank has little oppurtunity to roll from one side to the other(which is common in some STA-less singles wings). I have a preference for metal on the straps, however the DSS rigs do not appear to be this way. I also happen to be madly in love with STA's in general.
...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...
As for Diverite, there is nothing wrong with some of their products. However, they make rigs meant to be used for both doubles and singles. They have some wings with bungee on them. I choose to support manufacturers that do not entertain such ideas and stick to what works and what is known to work. For me that means a big slab of steel, some washers and a bolt. For others this means DSS torus wings and their opinions should be noted as well.
QUOTE]
You're digging yourself into a hole...

What part of the DSS straps have metal in them? And as for the DSS STA-less system... have you tried it or are you going off another post?

I hate to bring up the "bungied wings of doom", but please tell me your experience about why they don't work... and please don't quote the DIR-F manual, I've read it also. As I said earlier, with several dives with the wing, not once did I have a problem with the bungies... just curious, what is your personal experience with the wings? As I said earlier, if I were to do it again, I would get a smaller wing, but keep the bungies. I have yet to find an incident in which bungied wings were to blame.

Don't think I'm trying to attack you, but to be honest, unless you have actual personal experience with a system, do you think you should be telling someone to avoid it?

Vayu:
The advantage of the adapter is that it holds the plate tightly and the tank has little oppurtunity to roll from one side to the other(which is common in some STA-less singles wings).

I have a hammerhead BP, and normally I don't use the STA. AS far as stability, I can't tell the difference. I have never felt my tank roll with my BP even when I don't use the STA. What rig were you diving when you noticed this rolling. I'm just curious because I'm going to be getting another BP/W soon, and I don't want to have one where the tank rolls.

Well I will comment once more to clear up some of my previous statements. I just want to say again that what I have seen of DSS has been positive. I do not have personal experience with the Torus wing and what NWgrateful diver noted about it has given me a better understanding of the system.

Still, the subject here is peoples experiences and I have had very positive experiences with the Golem Gear. I will continue to steer anyone I can towards wings with streamlined designs and ones that are tough and simple. The OMS's and Diverite products may not cause too many problems alone, but they complicate the system. Why add bungie when the wings are fine without them? Why make a wing that is good for doubles and singles but not optimal for either? I have dove with people who had these items and had the same opinion. That is why I prefer some of these companies over the others. If you have positive experiences of your own I encourage you to share them for the benefit of the thread.

Ok don,

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2060/2/40/75/18/85/0/85187540211_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2060/2/40/75/18/65/0/65187540211_0_ALB.jpg
If you could actually open your eyes you'll see 2 cam band weight pockets. 6# each, you'll get 24#. In the next photo, the straps don't touch the pocket. NO BRAINER!

My bs meter is going to be always on you cus this is a board where pp come for information and not misinformation.

Now, it's your turn to back up your words, HOW WILL YOU MAKE A BP/W COMPLICATED TO A REGULAR BCD?

SangP

Btw, thanks to an earlier posters of this photos whoever you guys are.

SangP:
Ok don,

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2060/2/40/75/18/85/0/85187540211_0_ALB.jpg
If you could actually open your eyes you'll see 2 cam band weight pockets. 6# each, you'll get 24#. NO BRAINER!

My bs meter is going to be always on you cus this is a board where pp come for information and not misinformation.

Now, it's your turn to back up your words, HOW WILL YOU MAKE A BP/W COMPLICATED TO A REGULAR BCD?

SangP

Btw, thanks to an earlier poster of this photo whoever you are.
Here's what I get when I click the link ...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photos2060/2/40/75/18/85/0/85187540211_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at upsa-im114.ofoto.com Port 80

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great...

Lemme find another free photo hosting site.

Sorry for the inconvenience NWGratefulDiver.

SangP

Vayu:
I also happen to be madly in love with STA's in general.
There are a lot of things about dive equipment that one might be so passionate about, but an STA? I don't get it.

BTW, I dive an OxyCheq rig which has an STA. Considering how many times I've cut myself on the $&*# razor sharp unfinished edges and the way the harness is shredding where it goes through the plate, I wish I had bought a DSS rig. The fact that DSS rigs don't use an STA wouldn't deter me for a minute.

Gripes aside, I cannot imagine going back to a jacket-syle BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom