Any suggestions for "can't miss" Komodo dive sites? +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d_aviddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We leave in a couple days, and our experienced group of five (average about 900 dives apiece) will be the only divers on the boat for ten days. So..... we should be able to go about anywhere we want.

We've been told to dive:
Rinca Island
Yellow Wall
Cannibal Rock.

We leave on Monday (9/13) & appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

For me it was Cannibal Rock and their Black Sand muck diving location. I found the water a little chilly at C Rock, 75 degrees, in my 3mm wish I had brought my 5mm, or a vest.

You will not be disappointed with Horseshoe bay, Rinca Island. Caniball Rock is still one of my favourite dive sites on the Planet, and the Yellow wall of Texas is just as good, although I haven´t dived there since 2004, so would like to hear about it if you do go.

Central Komodo area : Batu Bolong is a must, loads of fish, whitetips, giant trevallies, very good corals too.
I like Tatawa Besar for the flashing orange soft corals too.

I was on the Komodo Dancer last month taking 10 days to cruising from Labuan Bajo on the western edge of Flores back to Bali. We were lucky enough to be able to spend a couple of days in the south side of Komodo and Rinca islands to see the mantas, but most of the trip was in the warmer waters of the north.

In terms of specific sites, looking at my log-book, I would suggest Castle Rock and Crystal Rock (on the north side of Komodo, these two sites are close together), Wainilu Island near Rinca (particularly good at night), Manta Alley on the south side of Komodo (23 degree water), Cannibal Rock on the south of Rinca, Hot Rocks and Black Magic off of Sangeang Island and finally, Fuzzy Bottom in Bima Inlet. I realise that my list of recommended dive sites is a bit long...I guess that it was a good trip.

Enjoy!

Thanks for bringing back the memories Jason...

Probably too late but:

- Cannibal Rock
- Batu Balong
- Shotgun
- Manta Alley

The Sangeang island sites were good too.

Generally speaking, anywhere is going to be good. :)

Back
Top Bottom