• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Any updated timeline for the Deep 6 computer

Discussion in 'Deep 6 Gear' started by JohnN, Aug 17, 2016.

1. ls1dreams

ls1dreams Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Uses Z+ which is different from buhlman 16. Also, it's ugly as hell.

scubadada likes this.
  2. LandonL

LandonL ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I don't think I should discuss our intentions anymore..... :)

Thanks for the support so far, we really do appreciate it.

It was only recently that we killed the project, we still had hope we would be able to fix the issues on the device until it became apparent we could not, we did not delay sharing the news.

A) Projects get delayed, bugs pop up, engineering issues arise. These things cannot always be anticipated. Unfortunately we can't be clairvoyant and know the exact completion time of a project ahead of the start. I certainly wish we could, but Murphy's law and all seems to get in the way.

B) I think even when we call it a WIP or 'product in development', and then openly talk about projected release dates, possible prices, etc, people take that as a fact, even when we specify otherwise. My impression was that when something is classified as 'in development' there is never a guarantee it will be produced. Google, Apple, Facebook, etc all 'develop' products that never see the light of day. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own unfortunately.. some of these posts are posted on our private pages, then a friend/customer sees it, and it starts to spread and then we get a snowball effect.

C) Definitely being considered by us now.

Thanks for the input, just a few of my thoughts below,

1.) Estimated price is just that though. An estimate, for a possible product. I get that it feels real, but the product is still in development and not finalized so things can change.

2.) We had a computer tab, but that is unrelated to this specific product. It was just a general tab, and we never had a specific product under it. We always intended to release a computer, but what that product was was never set in stone, or specified anywhere on the website.

3.) True, those were final software layouts, the predominant problems with the device were hardware as discussed earlier. Final screen layouts are not a final product, just one piece in the puzzle. This pieces of this puzzle unfortunately did not fit together in the end.

4.) Projects have timelines, but those change unfortunately. You have unexpected bumps with development in multiple areas, all projects do. We did intend to finish things on our timeline, but issues arose that needed to be solved, and that kept adding time, until we had to re-evaluate the project all together.

We did use the word prototype several times in the postings though. So if we tell you we are scoping out a prototype to see if is feasible or not, and we ask for your input, you don't want to know the projected price and what it is going to look like? I think those are important components when asking customers if they would be interested. I could always just tell people I have a box... it has an item in it... you can't open it... but tell me if you are interested :)

So spend all the money developing it, finalize it, pay for certification testing, produce several hundred thousand dollars worth of product, stack it in a warehouse.... then say.... 'hey guys, do you think you would like to buy this, is it a viable product?'

That sounds like an awesome business plan! :wink:

Honestly we aren't being defensive, we are answering questions and trying to clear up misconceptions. This has been a learning experience for us and we will definitely consider it before we release any information in the future.

With regards to any other possible computer.....
    Thanks for the positive feedback and support guys, we will definitely take into consideration if we decide to release it at all :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Bierstadt, racanichou and DavidFL like this.
  3. ls1dreams

ls1dreams Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    @LandonL : Trust me, I totally get it. I'm a software product manager and know how projects change. I also know how potential customers crucify us when we don't deliver or cancel projects as well :) Just calling out ways to mitigate things.

4. Tournesol2000

Tournesol2000 Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    For me the interesting thing is when I was talking to someone at Deep6gear about an unrelated item, I brought up the computer and they were fine talking about their challenges. Point being, talk to them! You will get their honest update.

5. Bierstadt

Bierstadt Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If we are talking about an unmet need in the dive computer market, obviously there is still a blank space where the sub-$500 Buhlman DC ought to be.

scubadada likes this.
  6. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I would imagine that a relatively inexpensive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C would be successful, especially in the recreational market, increasingly being pursued by Shearwater, Ratio, Dive Soft and Garmin. A few well chosen GF presets would probably be sufficient though custom GF would be preferable.

I have been diving DSAT since 2002. I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q for $400 so that I could learn Buhlmann before my next primary computer purchase. Unfortunate that the Nitek Q is no longer available. My over 8 year old Oceanic VT3 will not last forever and I'm not fond of the current Oceanic lineup

7. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    market is too small to hit the economies of scale that other consumer electronics do to keep costs low enough and still leave profit for the manufacturer and retailer.

wouldn't bet on big changes to the UI, programmers cost a decent amount of coin.

8. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Folks, I would have loved to deliver the unit we thought we would be able to 2 years ago. We couldn't. I never took orders, never offered for sale and told people not to hold out for it. I am deeply sorry if people feel let down. We are as well.

This new unit is totally not the same type of unit, and is not something that we developed or designed. We were approached and offered the Canada and US distribution of it and tried it and found it was a solid unit.

Is it under $500? No we wish. Can't happen.

Is this the final say in Deep 6 computers? No, we are still messing around on our own stuff but the first project was an expensive learning curve and will remain so.

9. BenjaminF

BenjaminF ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thank you @cerich for clearing that up :)

10. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    I am glad my 21yrs old Aladin is still working perfectly. And I can now kick the idea of a $139.00 Deep 6 computer to touch.
    Aqualung i300 is just a wee bit expensive.