Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, I don't mean to get in the middle of all the fun, but I thought I saw that the SOL uses the same algorithm as the Aladin Tec 2G (which I have and love). Granted the Sol has the neat graphs, digital compass and all those cool features, but my understanding is that only looking at how it calculates your dive, using the heart monitor as an indicator of exertion is the only difference between it and the Tec 2G. Is this correct?

I think Galileo Sol uses bar graphs for both N2 and O2. Is this right? Tec 2G uses bar graph for N2 and numerical text for O2%.

It's definitely on my list of "if I win the lottery the first thing I'm going to buy is..." I just don't think it's in the cards right now because of the cost...

Hey guys, I don't mean to get in the middle of all the fun, but I thought I saw that the SOL uses the same algorithm as the Aladin Tec 2G (which I have and love). Granted the Sol has the neat graphs, digital compass and all those cool features, but my understanding is that only looking at how it calculates your dive, using the heart monitor as an indicator of exertion is the only difference between it and the Tec 2G. Is this correct?

I think Galileo Sol uses bar graphs for both N2 and O2. Is this right? Tec 2G uses bar graph for N2 and numerical text for O2%.

It's definitely on my list of "if I win the lottery the first thing I'm going to buy is..." I just don't think it's in the cards right now because of the cost...

Yes, in terms of decompression management, monitoring workload and including it in the calculation is the main difference between the Sol and the Aladin Tec 2G. However, the Sol's hoseless connection to the 1st stage HP port, enables you to see all dive data, including remaining air, in one location.

Another option for TEC divers is to put a wireless, hoseless tank monitor on up to 4 tanks and have the Sol automatically switch its deco calculation as the diver changes regulator during the dive. Of course, you need to tell the Sol the percentage of O2 in each tank before the dive. You can also use this multi-tank feature to monitor one or more buddys' tank.

Yes, the Sol displays N2 and O2 as bar graphs on the left and right side of the display. There is a user option to change one of the graphs to display the amount of air in the tank, supplementing the numeric display (in bar or PSI).

One feature that convinced me to pay such a large sum for a dive computer was the large display. As my eyes get older, I find it harder to read small displays in dim light. I tried the "bifocal" mask option but found it dizzying. With the Sol on my wrist, I can glance across from my video camera and quickly get an update on all my dive data, without even disturbing the filming.

The Sol may not be for all and the price will scare away some. But, for me, it has been a justifiable purchase.

Regards
Peter

Just got my Galileo a week ago.
I dived with it yesterday to 31m 59mins and today to 14m 90mins.
Used the FULL screen configuration the first day and today I used the CLASSIC WITH GRID.
Great piece of equipment, I strongly recommend it. I have used quite a few UWATEC/SCUBAPRO computers (Aladin, SmartCom, SmartTec) and some other brands as well. So far this is definitely the best computer I ever had.
The compass works perfect even when tilted.
As far as the bar graphs, the CNS O2 loading is displayed in % as well as in a bar graph.
Nobody mentioned its great PMG (predictive multi gas) calculations...
As far as buddy tracking, I think it can only track ONE buddy's transmitter and not more as someone wrote... but, none of my buddies has this computer so I couldn't test it.
Connects great with my PC via IR using SmartTrak and also to my PocketPC using TravelTrak (iMate JasJam).

The only thing i would love it to have is the option to display at the end of the dive in its logbook (which is very good and informative) the average gas consumption in Liters per minute for the dive. You can see that on the PC only... But then again that is just a personal wish and as far as I know there is no AI computer in the world that does that. On the other hand the Galileo's software is user upgradable via IR so maybe that option will be added in the future. I think that Trimix is in UWATEC's pipeline to be added to the Galileo...

If anyone has any questions regarding this great computer I'll gladly answer. Going diving with it tomorrow again.

By the way, anyone who owns this computer, in the box you get a clear piece of sticker to stick to the screen protector as added protection, where can I get another one? And, if we are talking about stickers, there is also a glow-in-the-dark GALILEO sticker in the box, what did you do with it?

well I hope everyone rushes out and gets one so the price will go down for us stragglers

I dived with it yesterday to 31m 59mins and today to 14m 90mins.
Used the FULL screen configuration the first day and today I used the CLASSIC WITH GRID.
Great piece of equipment, I strongly recommend it. I have used quite a few UWATEC/SCUBAPRO computers (Aladin, SmartCom, SmartTec) and some other brands as well. So far this is definitely the best computer I ever had.
The compass works perfect even when tilted.
As far as the bar graphs, the CNS O2 loading is displayed in % as well as in a bar graph.
Nobody mentioned its great PMG (predictive multi gas) calculations...
As far as buddy tracking, I think it can only track ONE buddy's transmitter and not more as someone wrote... but, none of my buddies has this computer so I couldn't test it.
Connects great with my PC via IR using SmartTrak and also to my PocketPC using TravelTrak (iMate JasJam).

The only thing i would love it to have is the option to display at the end of the dive in its logbook (which is very good and informative) the average gas consumption in Liters per minute for the dive. You can see that on the PC only... But then again that is just a personal wish and as far as I know there is no AI computer in the world that does that. On the other hand the Galileo's software is user upgradable via IR so maybe that option will be added in the future. I think that Trimix is in UWATEC's pipeline to be added to the Galileo...

If anyone has any questions regarding this great computer I'll gladly answer. Going diving with it tomorrow again.

By the way, anyone who owns this computer, in the box you get a clear piece of sticker to stick to the screen protector as added protection, where can I get another one? And, if we are talking about stickers, there is also a glow-in-the-dark GALILEO sticker in the box, what did you do with it?

hello there

congrats on your new galileo

the sticker is a normal 3m you can cut it your self

and the galileo sticker i didnt youse it yet im thinking on my BC or tank

In my case, both the stick-on screen protector and the sticker are still in the original box, hidden away in my junk room.

I don't like using stick-on screen protectors because, especially when they age, they do reduce readability of the screen. In any case, the Sol does have a plastic screen protector over the LCD display.

That plastic screen cover is also replaceable and clips out quite easily. I plan to just buy a couple of spare screen covers and replace it if the original ever gets scratched. But I have not yet found a place to buy the screen covers.

Regards
Peter

I don't like using stick-on screen protectors because, especially when they age, they do reduce readability of the screen. In any case, the Sol does have a plastic screen protector over the LCD display.

That plastic screen cover is also replaceable and clips out quite easily. I plan to just buy a couple of spare screen covers and replace it if the original ever gets scratched. But I have not yet found a place to buy the screen covers.

Yeah... that is a good idea. If you find them let me know, I'll buy one or two as well...

I am still diving with extreme care not to scratch this beautiful (and expensive) piece of equipment... Its metal case looks great now.. I know that the 1st scratch would hurt right in the middle of my heart... :) and then I'll get used to it.. ;-) I was thinking of covering it with a piece of an old wetsuit sleeve but... it'll be too bulky..

Yeah... that is a good idea. If you find them let me know, I'll buy one or two as well...

I am still diving with extreme care not to scratch this beautiful (and expensive) piece of equipment... Its metal case looks great now.. I know that the 1st scratch would hurt right in the middle of my heart... :) and then I'll get used to it.. ;-) I was thinking of covering it with a piece of an old wetsuit sleeve but... it'll be too bulky..

Next dive, I suggest that you find a nice chunk of dead coral or a hunk of ship wreck and gouge it across the face of the Sol. Then, you'll have it over and done with and can just get on with diving. :D

My SOL has a nice little scratch across the plastic protector and the top steel surround. Happened when scrambling up a diver ladder in a very rough sea. I felt bad about it for a couple of seconds but now that it is scarred, I don't need to worry so much about protecting it from the bumps and bruises of diving... :shakehead:

Regards
Peter

I am trying to justify myself to buy this new toy.

It isn't a trimix computer, but just three gas switches computer as same as its old model. OK.. there is 4th one for your buddy even though how many divers are willing to buy an additional transmitter for their buddies.

Heart monitor... OK it is a gimmick to me.

Digital compass.. It is worth compared to a gimmick D9 compass.

Other than that, it must be used in a gauge mode for a tech diving.... Am I right?

Heart monitor... OK it is a gimmick to me.

Digital compass.. It is worth compared to a gimmick D9 compass.

Other than that, it must be used in a gauge mode for a tech diving.... Am I right?

The heart monitor apparently lets it determine how hard you're working, although I have no idea how this effects the deco algorithm.

The compass is absolutely amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the compass on my smart-com and then had to play "tilt the computer" to get the needle to point the right way. The SOL's compass works in any position.

The display is easy to read even for those us with not-so-great close-up vision, and it says things in your native language (whatever that may be, since the language files are download-able). Instead of blinking obscure icons on the display and beeping, it can say things like "Warning: CNS O2=90%", or "1200PSI Reached".

It's a very cool computer.

Terry

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom