Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I guess losing the signal alters the deco information but the question is how much and does it have a serious affect on your dive?

In 50 dives, I have not once had the heart rate monitor lose contact with the Sol. It does say that the two pickups on the chest monitor needs to be placed flat on wet skin. In the tropics, skin sweat seems to be enough to activate it and keep it active.

One of the many user programmable options for the Sol is how it monitors "work effort" in the deco calculation.

You can set it to use:

1. heart rate monitor only
2. breathing rate only (same as previous Uwatec smart computers)
3. both - worse case
4. both - best case

You can also adjust your "normal" heart rate and you can adjust its sensitivity to breathing rate.

So, losing contact with the heart rate monitor should not be a significant issue.

However, if I was sulaiman, I would take the monitor back to Polar to have it looked at.

Regards
Peter

Please educate me.

What is the point to know your heart rate? What can you predict or prevent for your diving?

The flow of dissolved nitrogen in your blood moves to your tissues proportionally to the rate your heart pumps. With more pumping of your heart (e.g. under exertion), more nitrogen reaches the tissues and is absorbed into them.

Therefore, the higher the heart rate, more nitrogen absorption, therefore the more outgassing required to reach a safe level during ascent. So the Sol will reduce your bottom time and/or recommend longer safety / deco stops based on the amount of increased heart activity during the dive.

In some previous Uwatec computers, breathing rate was used as a proxy measure for this process. With the Sol, the more direct measure of heart rate has been used.

Regards
Peter

Correcting people about the awesome current detecting ability of this computer...

I give up.

Your prejudice against spending a dime of MY money (not yours) on fun gear (my definition is all that counts when it's my money, not yours) has convinced me of the error of my free-spending ways.

Feel free to continue warning people that they are ALWAYS wasting their money in considering purchases such as these, and that they're gonna die if they use all of the "features".

I give up.

Your prejudice against spending a dime of MY money (not yours) on fun gear (my definition is all that counts when it's my money, not yours) has convinced me of the error of my free-spending ways.

Feel free to continue warning people that they are ALWAYS wasting their money in considering purchases such as these, and that they're gonna die if they use all of the "features".

LOL. No one is suggesting you're going to die (probably) if you use such a computer. But you ARE likely to inhibit learning many good diving practices. If new divers come to only rely on such a device to calculate NDL, PSI, turn pressures, navigation decisions, etc, what are they going to do when the computer decides to take a dump? I couldn't care less what you do with $2000 of your money, but I'm still going to point out to those without your knowledge of what it's buying you that this might not be the wisest financial choice! And yes, I still find wireless AI computers worthless. I personally don't see the point at all. If you and others think they're fun, well, I just question your definition of fun, that's all.

No worries, just wanted to point this out, as I've heard it from many others as well. This "feature" could actually get you in a lot of trouble precisely because the computer does NOT know where you are in the water (due to your own swimming or due to currents). I find that very dangerous for those who will end up following the computer's suggestions without actually engaging the computer between their ears.

How could this feature get you into trouble?

At no place in the brochure or manual does anyone claim that the computer can know where you are (although I am sure that GPS-equipped dive computers will be able to do that in the not-so-distant future).

It is simply a digital compass that displays just like an analog compass. If you decide that you want to travel at 330 degrees, it lets you set that heading with the press of a button. If you then point the compass at 300 degrees, an arrow shows you which direction you need to turn to get back to 330 degrees. Very simple, very logical, quite useful if navigating on a long compass heading.

I don't see how anyone could get into trouble with that.

Regards
Peter

How could this feature get you into trouble?

At no place in the brochure or manual does anyone claim that the computer can know where you are (although I am sure that GPS-equipped dive computers will be able to do that in the not-so-distant future).

It is simply a digital compass that displays just like an analog compass. If you decide that you want to travel at 330 degrees, it lets you set that heading with the press of a button. If you then point the compass at 300 degrees, an arrow shows you which direction you need to turn to get back to 330 degrees. Very simple, very logical, quite useful if navigating on a long compass heading.

I don't see how anyone could get into trouble with that.

Regards
Peter

Then you clearly didn't follow this thread where at least ONE user apparently took this feature to be able to get him home even in currents. Listen, clearly the informed user is going to be fine. Seems lots of computer divers don't understand what their computer is telling them. The more your computer tells you, the more you have to understand what it means. That's all. Many divers will get this, some won't.

rainer hello

this is called technology

it should make your life easy

Then you clearly didn't follow this thread where at least ONE user apparently took this feature to be able to get him home even in currents. Listen, clearly the informed user is going to be fine. Seems lots of computer divers don't understand what their computer is telling them. The more your computer tells you, the more you have to understand what it means. That's all. Many divers will get this, some won't.

Sorry but I did follow this thread somewhat better than you have. If you read a bit more carefully, you will see that the person whose comment you tried to use to prove your point has not yet bought the Sol and therefore not yet read the instruction manual. He misquoted some marketing literature. When corrected by you he admitted his mistake and indicated that he did understand the capabilities and limitations of the digital compass feature. This is a long way from an existing "user" misunderstanding the information that the computer is displaying. I doubt if anyone will ever be confused about this feature in actual use. It is just a compass. It looks like a compass. It does not say, "The boat is that way --->"

In fact, for the very first time in dive computers, Uwatec have built this one where there is much less likelihood of a user misinterpreting the information displayed. Instead of using only small flashing icons, this computer actually tells you information in simple, clear language. These kind of advances significantly increase diving safety and should be applauded and encouraged by the diving community.

Of course, there always be people, like the Luddites, who'll automatically reject any new technology or change. But, fortunately, there'll also always be enough people who embrace change that we will move us forward.

Regards
Peter

GPS signals - at least using current frequencies, microwave if memory serves - are attenuated rapidly in water....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom