Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

y'all be careful, I'll be thinking of you guys. I will be heading back home tomorrow, my brother open heart surgery is going good for now but we will see how he heals since his big problem is scarring.

I just want to get back home, ride my harley, and dive. I need to clear my head and get out of this funk I am in.

Post some awesome pics will ya!?!

Lee, it,ll be a 3 tank day, if need be we,ll leave a tank and come back to the landing for them. See ya Saturday.

Dang Mike, sure glad to see a posting from you. I know what you must be going through having experienced tragedy with my brother. Was thinking about it but decided to leave it alone until the worst was over. I can relate to the motorcycle enjoyment. I bought, chopped, painted, and customized a large bike in the early 70's before it was acceptable. My best ride was down the Florida coastline. GOOD MEMORIES! The only adult that thought it was cool was my uncles old, Greek, cigar smoking dad. I hope your brother recovers and he should greatly appreciate you traveling on his behalf.

As all good fossilers know, the Peace river flows through a large area in Central Florida called Bone Valley. I requested some information from Canoe Outpost, an outfit that rents canoes on the Peace river. Here is their reply:

Hi there. With all of the rain we've had lately the water level is 2 feet above normal. The water is too high for wading and sifting, but you could give diving or snorkeling a shot. Keep in mind that visibility is bad, the water is silty, and there is a current. It is $40.00 plus tax per canoe for any of our day trips. We bring you up 12, 8, or 5 miles and you float back down to our dock.

Thank you for contacting Canoe Outpost-Peace River.

Hope to see you on the river!
Beth Alibro
Office Staff/Group Coordinator
Canoe Outpost-Peace River
2816 NW County Rd. 661, Arcadia, FL 34266
800-268-0083 - 863-494-4391 fax
www.canoeoutpost.com/peace
peacepaddler@canoeoutpost.com

Phill... I will have all my gear plus 3 tanks at Durham Creek landing at 8:30 Saturday morning.

Check out this really OLD video (Discovery-Channel-Shark-Week) by Patrick McCarthy. It has been months since I talked to Patrick but the good news is he is still diving, collecting, selling, buying, trading, etc. Patrick is famous for building Megalodon shark jaws that contain actual Meg teeth.

Last edited:
Man I wanna go tonight!! I love being on the bottom!! LOL Treasure .... intrigues us, and those teeth of any size just makes me love my hobby! WOW.... Awesome!

Okay, I am back home and settled back in. Added some goodies to my bike, went for a ride this morning and I also added some goodies that I purchased at a dive shop up north.

Hey Lee, we will not get our fins confused now, lol. I added the SS springs to them so I can get them on and off more easily. I also purchased two new goodie bags and a couple of SS clips I have been looking for.

Phill, I do not think I will be working this coming Saturday, where ya diving and is there any more room? I'll give ya a call today.

Hey Lee, I think we need to do a Peace River trip soon!!!!!

Welcome back Mike! The spring straps will definitely make for quicker identification. And if I want some newer fins, all I have to do it put the springs on mine when you are not looking. I am going to get some springs. My straps are WAY old and should be replaced. Things definitely deteriate. I put some of my old hoses under a bright light and bent them. LOTS of cracks became visible. My old BC is hanging in the closet like a dead soldier after a long productive life and multitudes of repairs.

Right now I have two paths to the Peace river fossils. One is the "Canoe Outpost" and the other is Debra Powell. The difference is that Debra is a helluva good guide. The Outpost only rents canoes. A Peace river trip will take at least 3 days. Two days traveling. It will be tempting to do some offshore Venice fossiling while there. Here are some good Peace river references.

Here is video I took two months ago of Debra's finds (offshore Venice). We used the BIG FLAT TOP boat. (great dive platform)

Last edited:
Found this photo on Facebook. Recent photo of produce from Fossil Ledge offshore Carolina Beach NC.

Attachments

• 267975_10150239301772689_129748852688_7444094_7538721_n.jpg
    267975_10150239301772689_129748852688_7444094_7538721_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 139
Just back from our first trip to the Cooper River with my two sons. We really enjoyed the black water diving. No really big megs, but a lot of fun. We would appreciate it if someone could help us identify what looks like a jaw bone in the first two pictures.

P7051070.jpgP7051071.jpgP7051084.jpg

P7051062.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom