Anybody else have this drysuit venting problem ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bare nexgen dry suit, I have currently 99 ( next one is naked ) dives. For all those dives, I have struggled with venting my drysuit. It was fully open every dive. I'd roll to the side, I'd get vertical, I'd be burping my arm trying to get all the air out. It was a struggle and very frustrating as I'd see other divers just roll to the side and air would release upon ascent, the way it was supposed to work. Why can't I do that ?

My LDS had a suggestion that I just tried . My Bare underwear was not the highest loft available, but the next one down. Point is, it was still fairly bulky. The LDS suggested " gently " wrapping some duct tape on my Bare underwear under the vent area . I did this and went one step futher. I wrapped ( lightly ) 2 duct tape bands ( 1 " wide ) around my underwear arm, joining onto the " patch " on my arm. Not so much to restrict any movement or air flow, just enough to keep the underwear from the drysuit vent.

Voila !! Works like a dam !! Apparently, my lofty underwear was restricting the airflow under the vent, causing restriction to the vent. Anybody else have this issue ??

I put a cuff dump on my drysuits and love it.
Never have the problem of the cuff dump dumping when I don't want it to -- so it works great for me.

Borrowed a drysuit (Whites Catalyst) for a trip I did early in the year (my bare compressed neoprene is to big/heavy to travel by plane). First dive out had to emergency vent from the neck seal as the suit would not vent at all. Took a look on the SI and found that the filter in the vent was completly clogged with fibers from the woolies, so something else to check if you are having venting problems. The vent should just screw off, and there is a filter material you should find inside.

Some suits have a material flap inside the arm that acts like your duck tape setup to help vent correctly.

I wonder if the placement of the Bare dump valve contributes to your venting issue.

My only experience with a Bare drysuit was a weekend of diving so about six dives because my DUI drysuit was being altered. I found the placement of the dump valve to be the most annoying aspect of the suit otherwise a very good suit.

The dump valve sits on the upper arm in the front rather than on the side of the arm. If you're horizontal in the water that means the dump valve is pointed down toward depth rather than on the side where it would vent better. During a dive, I had to use my right hand to move the dump valve to the side of my arm or twisted my upper body around to point the valve toward the side/surface and was able to properly vent the suit.

I've dove a DUI, Fusion and Santi drysuit, and Bare is the only one where the dump valve is in front of the arm rather than on the side. It may not be an issue for you but something to consider given it's a Bare.

Good luck with your lofty duct taped undies. :)

Voila !! Works like a dam !! Apparently, my lofty underwear was restricting the airflow under the vent, causing restriction to the vent. Anybody else have this issue ??

Valuable post.

I had a similar problem once but not with a nex-gen suit. In my case, I *think* the exhaust valve was positioned in such a way that the neoprene flap under the zipper got folded over my shoulder and may have interfered with the valve. In that case it was slower to vent than I was used to but it didn't block it entirely.

R..

I've dove a DUI, Fusion and Santi drysuit, and Bare is the only one where the dump valve is in front of the arm rather than on the side. It may not be an issue for you but something to consider given it's a Bare.

The newer suits are better in this respect. But I agree with you, Bare hasn't always chosen the best locations for their dump valves.

R..

I'm glad to hear that you solved the venting problem. Duct tape can be very useful to a drysuit diver. I keep a roll of that stuff handy in my save-a-dive kit.

For 8 years, I've been diving a Bare Nex-Gen with a Bare T-100 undergarment and a mid-weight fleece top underneath. I've never had any problems venting gas from the suit.

One of my dive buddies just purchased a new Nex-Gen (2010 version), and I was shocked to see the different placement of the exhaust valve (more on the bicep than the tricep). I have no idea why the Bare folks made that change to the suit. FWIW, my friend doesn't report any problems exhausting gas, per se. He does find it a little annoying that he has to rotate his shoulders more to dump, though. He wears a Pinnacle Merino Evo undergarment with it.

The LDS suggested " gently " wrapping some duct tape on my Bare underwear u

The outer shell on some underwear becomes nearly air-tight when damp from sweat and is also flexible enough to wrap around and cover the exhaust valve and prevent venting. Duct tape fixes this be removing "flexible" from the equation.

flots.

Last edited:
ScubaSam / Bubbletrubble; I think a combination of the underwear issue ( that is solved by the duct tape ) and what you mentioned is correct. I do believe that the valve is not positioned correctly on the suit, it's more on the bicep than back toward the tricep. I had talked to a previous buddy about my venting issues and that was his observation as well, my vent was pointing down while horizontal . I will have to roll to the right even more now that I'm aware of this issue. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom