Anybody know anything about the dive boat that sunk this morning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now it's his wedding ring and $500??? Again, unfortunate accident but so much of that article is BS media exaggeration.

I noticed that too, $400 became $500 somehow. I will give the benefit of the doubt on the ring being part of "personal items". Very typical of the media when doing the actual reporting. I'd like to know what the interviewee told them.

So, you're saying it was completely the captains fault for sinking his boat in calm water? What responsibility does the captain have in this case?

I'm not making any claims about what happened - I have no idea other than it was not a rogue wave and sea conditions for a 36' boat were not unsafe that day.

Somebody needs a break. I can seldom know, unless I had just counted it, whether I had 4 or $500 in my wallet.

In addition, I am doubtful about the cruise lines "vetting" dive shops. Invariably they find the cheapest vendor they can, then double or triple the cost to the cruiser. Quality is virtually never a concern, and I don't think safety rates very high up there either.

Dave

Somebody needs a break. I can seldom know, unless I had just counted it, whether I had 4 or $500 in my wallet.

In addition, I am doubtful about the cruise lines "vetting" dive shops. Invariably they find the cheapest vendor they can, then double or triple the cost to the cruiser. Quality is virtually never a concern, and I don't think safety rates very high up there either.

Dave
Well - claims that the crew sunk the boat on purpose are outrageous - that's the main point I was making.

I know for a fact the main dive shop in Grand Turk killed someone on a DSD and even PADI took away their certification. Yet since it was the op that the cruise line picked, not only for diving but ALL the water activies, guess who they use to this day? It's always the $$$.

If the cruisers looked into how little they can do (legal wise) if something bad happens they would have a heart attack. Ever try suing in Liberia anyone??

I find this all very helpful information because I have a young friend who is going on a cruise to Cozumel in June and will probably want to dive. I already told her not to use whoever the cruise ship suggests so it looks like I gave her good advice. :)

Oh, I get it, you are disparaging my profile information! Although you seem to be under the misimpression that total dives only include shore dives; what's up with that?

My profile information is correct, although I certainly don't need to prove it to you! I was certified in the 1980s and my husband and I have enjoyed many warm-water, diving vacations - including more than a dozen liveaboards. The years add up and so does the number of dives, but we have scaled back in more recent years. Nowadays we usually only do 1 dive trip per year and we typically get between 12 and 20 dives depending on the conditions.

In our early days we tried some cold-water quarry and lake dives but didn't care for it. Most of our dives have been done in Florida, the Bahamas, and areas throughout the Caribbean; but we have also ventured a bit further afield to places such as the Red Sea, Cabo, and Hawaii - but unfortunately not the Far East or Australia or Africa - yet!

Most of our dives have been boat dives, but we've been to Bonaire 6 times and we have also done shore dives from Curacao, Florida, Grand Cayman, Roatan, St. Croix, and Mexico.

I've never claimed to be anything other than a warm-water, recreational, vacation diver - and there are many SB members with far more experience and expertise than me - but we have dived in a number of popular locations and venues and I am happy to share my information with others that may be interested.

Just as I am also happy to learn from the experiences of others - just not from you, of course! You seem to think that every guy that drives a dive boat is a licensed Captain, and that shore diving is the only type of diving.

You really should get your facts straight before making inaccurate, snide comments about others.

Why are you even giving Mr. TurdThrower the satisfaction of answering him?

Christi I read it differently.
I don't think he meant the boat was sunk on purpose, but that he couldn't retrieve his gear himself.
Still a silly response on his part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom