Anyone Actually use a Sony HC7 Underwater Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice lens. It's listed as 1 pound negative on the Gates site.

ronrosa,

Thanks. I have a feeling I am going to need that float tube. The more I look at it, it seems to be in about the right place. I guess those guys at Gates know what they are doing :wink:

Finally got back in the water after 12 days of being high and dry. On my first dive I found an octopus that stayed out in the open for 10-15 min and took a lot of HD footage of it. I will be realy interested to see how it came out. Everything looked great in the viewfinder on both my dives so maybe the poor HC-7 just needed a little time to adjust to temperate water kelp forest diving!

drbill:
Finally got back in the water after 12 days of being high and dry. On my first dive I found an octopus that stayed out in the open for 10-15 min and took a lot of HD footage of it. I will be realy interested to see how it came out. Everything looked great in the viewfinder on both my dives so maybe the poor HC-7 just needed a little time to adjust to temperate water kelp forest diving!

Hmm, maybe I should throw mine in the tub with some ice cubes before I get it wet So Cal style... :D

drbill: I got my HC7 earlier this week along with the spare FP70 battery that is supposed to be longer lasting. It too is showing only3 or 3 1/2 hour duration although the packaging leads me to believe it is supposed to last longer.

I sure hope the Ocean Images housing and light system is buoyant. It sure is heavy :D.

ScubaMickey, sounds like we may have a class action suit against Sony on these "6.5 hour" batteries. After charging mine before today's dives, I had 165 minutes showing. Good thing we only did two dives today.

drbill:
ScubaMickey, sounds like we may have a class action suit against Sony on these "6.5 hour" batteries. After charging mine before today's dives, I had 165 minutes showing. Good thing we only did two dives today.

It kind of annoys me since I bought this battery specifically for use during liveaboard trips. I don't want to have to buy an additional charger.

I'm starting to wonder if we didn't misread the label. Now that I look at it again, it almost seems as if they are saying that the included battery is 3 hours and that the longer bar graph above it is like some sort of continuum???

But it definitely feels like a bait and switch to me.

Just got back from some shore diving. Got a chance to finally get the camera in the water but as we were holding various rescue drills for some of our club students, I didn't get a lot time with the camera. I'll see if I can salvage a couple clips of a puffer, anemone fish, anemone shrimps @ telemacro, and lots of crabs. Make sure you have you barf bags nearby as this was my first time with video camera u/w...!!!

As for the Gates housing + Fathoms WP-25 lens, is slightly negative so it will float slowly down if you let it go. Trim wise, its pretty good, just a slight tendency to nose to the left...

A little shakey there, Pakman? Look forward to seeing it.

My footage from yesterday was some of the best I've shot with the HC-7 so that was good. Sharpness isn't what I expected, but I think with the two HID lights that I'll be ordering that will improve by shutting down the iris a bit. I haven't been diving deep (max depth yesterday was 95') to see if the video of the nudies comes out the same as before, but hope to do so this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom