Anyone dive w/ Captain Don's Habitat but not stay there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really appreciate all the input guys. Hope my second trip to Bonaire is as fun as my first was. I only did shore dives last time I was there. I'm all ears for any other shore or boat dive recommendations you guys have. Remember I have a vehicle but I'm not an experienced shore diver.

Dave

Last edited:
. . .
Lorenzoid, how do they determine if you have actually paid for a tank if it's self service?

You don't pay for individual tanks. You pay for the number of days you will be diving. E.g., a 5-day package, a 6-day package, etc. Each day, you can dive as many times as you wish, and accordingly take as many tanks as you need throughout the day.

Lorenzoid, I know that much but how do they know you've paid for anything if it's all self serve? Is there an attendant that checks wristbands, ID's, etc? Do you know if they have DIN tanks also?

Dave

Are they usually dragging a SMB while they're doing these shore dives?
We never do but IDK what the official rules are. I don't see anything in the rules: STINAPA - Bonaire National Marine Park

At most sites the boats are required to stay to the outside of the dive marker/mooring ball. So you're already deep there. We also usually meandered down the reef then back up again and the boats won't come in that close since they don't want to get torn up on the coral. We did a week of morning boat dives and the crew watches for bubbles/divers in the few places they might encounter them like returning to a dive resort dock.

Lorenzoid, I know that much but how do they know you've paid for anything if it's all self serve? Is there an attendant that checks wristbands, ID's, etc? Do you know if they have DIN tanks also?

No wristbands or anything like that. There is an honor system aspect to it, though I suspect they have their ways of knowing whether someone doesn't belong there. If you're taking Nitrox tanks--as most divers do--then you will write your name in the log, along with the results of analyzing the tank, date, etc. I suppose they might look at the names. I don't really know.

Don't count on DIN tanks or tanks with removable yoke inserts unless something has changed since last year. They may have SOME, but the vast majority were yoke with no removable insert. If you have DIN regs, bring your adapter.

Thanks again guys. I found a very informative FAQ on their site w/ most the info. The only thing I cannot seem to find info on is gear storage. I'd much rather not trek our wet gear back to our room each night and I see they have "tank lockers" but do they have gear lockers? Do you provide your own lock? Is it a safe practice to do this? I would take my camera/computer/electronics with me nightly but I'd rather leave my plate and my wifes BCD and other related gear there. We do plan to do some night diving so we would have to drop this gear off sometimes after their business hours.

Dave

We're going to have a rental pickup for the week
Did you factor the additional cost of your rental into the comparison to a place like Buddy Dive, where you get a truck with the room>?

Because there are just two of you, the costs will be a bit escalated.....Buddy Dive, for example, has its best prices for 4 or 6 people sharing a condo and a vehicle.

Did you factor the additional cost of your rental into the comparison to a place like Buddy Dive, where you get a truck with the room>?

Because there are just two of you, the costs will be a bit escalated.....Buddy Dive, for example, has its best prices for 4 or 6 people sharing a condo and a vehicle.
Yes sir. With a quad cab truck @ budget w/ CDL insurance I'm at $299. The room for the week is 466 (including breakfast) and dive friends for both of us (10 boat/unlimited shore) 860 we're at $1625. All of the packages are well above this that include boat diving.

For comparison, the best package price I found (Dons) was 1680 for the room w/ 10 boat/unlmited shore, 405 for the quad cab truck @ budget w/ CDL insurance and $194 for breakfast for the two of us. So thats $2,279.
Dave

I would not assume that you'll have 24/7 access to the public gear storage area at DF Yellow Sub since it's standalone and downtown.
Store your equipment overnight
^ from the locations page.

For night dives I'd think you'd have to keep it all yourselves. FYI store it inside not in the truck or on the patio. Everything but tanks, no one steals tanks since they're only filled by the shop marked on them.

DF seems to have a few DIN tanks but for their tech program - IDK if they include those in general daily rental program. I doubt it because rental DIN tanks take a beating (if dropped or cross-threaded). Habitat and Buddy also have a tech program but I believe.

Search this forum for DIN - there's a pretty recent thread about it. I may've posted there once.

thanks. I do have adapters I always bring they just add an inch or so to the depth of the first stage. We never keep gear or anything of value in cars when we travel. Thanks for the tip though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom