Anyone dive w/ Captain Don's Habitat but not stay there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're staying at a non-waterfront, non-dive resort so you'll usually do better on pricing than any of the on-water dive resorts. Many of the dive resorts price per person, we've always found it substantially cheaper to rent a place then buy dives/truck separately.
'm all ears for any other shore or boat dive recommendations you guys have.
Bari Reef, Salt Pier, Angel City, Alice in Wonderland, Invisibles. Vista Blue was the best dive my buddy thought we did but the current was ripping in the afternoon.

For boat dives any of the better Klein sites, Ebo's, Jerry's, definitely Hands Off - most definitely Forest, and Rappel on Bonaire since it requires a boat. We also boat dove Witch's Hut but drove there a few days later. Didn't know much about Rappel except 1/2 the boat suggested it when asked - they were right.

Buddy is doing a 3 tank weekly boat dive up into Slagbaai Park regularly. For wrecks, the Hooker but I haven't done it. Also liked Cliff/La Machaca from Habitat's dock. They charge a small facilities usage fee - it was $5.

Last edited:
Tank deals at most ops are unlimited so they do not count numbers.
Go ahead and shore dive. You absolutely do not need a class. Nowhere easier. On west side of Bonaire, no currents, clear water and mini wall. Near impossible to get lost. There is easy entry at Bachelors Beach, Pink Beach, Salt Pier and many others. Make sure you have hard sole boots if you want to venture further as some of the entrys are rubble or iron shore. I've never seen divers using SMBs on Bonaire west side shore dives.

There are also lots of inexpensive restaurants on Bonaire listed on other threads.

Have a great trip.

Great thanks much guys, feeling a bit more comfortable. I suppose I'm just a bit over paranoid when it comes to guiding myself. While I'm diving I really do have no idea where I am as I'm with a guide when I come back up i'm generally shocked to see I've come full circle I spend so much time looking at things that I generally just trust the DM to keep me going the correct direction. W/O that safety net I'm a bit worried. If it's a wall I suppose I could just use the rule of 1/3rds and head back at ~2000 psi. but knowing me I'd want to see something different and not do that.

There is a lot of great info available on SB and BT to help you get all the info on Bon. Both were invaluable to me when I first started diving Bon. Get a book on shore diving. Read about the sites, study the map. There are two that I know of. Start easy. Shore dives mentioned already as easy are just that. Read about not leaving ANYTHING in your truck and other tips. House reefs are the easiest as you usually leave from an improved area, dock, ladder etc. Navigation is easy. Head out over the shallows and to a sloping wall and head one way or the other. We shore dive as a family. It really is simple.

Follow your own internal comfort level. If you are not comfortable, abort or get assistance or more info. On our last trip we drove up to a northern site in the afternoon only to not like the look of the entry and waves coming in. We decided to pass, drove all the way around the island and tried Windsock site just before sunset. It was wonderful. Bon is full of wonderful dive sites and full of surprises. This is way we all keep coming back.

BnBBonaire looks pretty good and is soooo new I didn't see any reviews yet on Trip Advisor. That would not stop me from booking it at $68. a nite. I saw they do not have safes in the room, but do at the front desk. I wonder about security, is there a guard at night?

If you plan to dive with Dive Friends Yellow Sub, consider the closer Dive Hut and maybe Tropicana. Probably not as nice as BnB though....The shore dive at Yellow Sub could not be easier--down steps off the dock, I suggest doing your required orientation and dive there. You will need $25. cash per diver for a park tag.

As to your original Q re Habitat--it depends. Depends on how busy they are on a particular week. We will be at Habitat for 2 weeks in August for the umpteenth time. They are very busy both weeks--all boats full, etc. We have a group of 40 or so divers and our pkg is 12 boat dives with nitrox on the boat dives, Unlimited shore diving, 4 people in a 2br/2ba bungalow full kitchen unit, all taxes, etc for $777.. each diver.

How strict is Captain Don's about charging $5 per diver to enjoy their house reef? When I was a guest there in the past I've always enjoyed that dive. Now I'm coming back to Bonaire with my family and would like to share that experience with them but we are staying at Sand Dollar. I'd hate to have to drop 20 bucks just for that.

How strict is Captain Don's about charging $5 per diver to enjoy their house reef? When I was a guest there in the past I've always enjoyed that dive. Now I'm coming back to Bonaire with my family and would like to share that experience with them but we are staying at Sand Dollar. I'd hate to have to drop 20 bucks just for that.

Hop in at Buddy's and turn right...Hop in at DF Hamlet (Cliff) and turn left. Either will work. :)

Last edited:
I think the answer will vary. If you ask by email--I am guessing you will get a no. If asking in person--a maybe answer is more likely. My favorite dive at Habitat is Cliff which is to the right off the dock. And it is accessible down some uneven stone steps without a handrail at Dive Friends shop just to the north. DF is a nice place with great staff and plenty of parking. Access to the water is not as easy as Habitat though.

Some years ago, we stayed other places and dove a little at Habitat and Buddy's, never paid at Buddy's but did pay at Habitat.

Go before the dive shop opens or after if $20 is a deal breaker. There will be no one there to check or ask. You would have to check the website but from memory they are closed in the am until about 8 AM and close at 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Thanks for the info guys. I opted to use dive friends for tank rental and also for some boat dives.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom