Anyone dive without a snorkel on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never use my snorkel. I don't even bring one with me on the boat or shore dives.

lamont:
sure but have you seen one with these? :)
2716633450061728695DJpAcQ_th.jpg

2535424560061728695IauBDR_th.jpg

all we do are shore dives and I haven't had a snorkel on since OW. On the run out I turn my back to the chop lean on the bladder and kick my way to the site. On the way in in choppy weather I just stay submerged and pick my way into waist deep making for a very leisurely safety stop. it's how our instructor taught us to take advantage of both shallow and deep water. By diving the shallow stuff I've reaped a veritable bounty of 2 cell phones, a pager, a dozen golf balls, $10 in various change, a gold class ring, and somebody's sneaker. All of which shouldn't have been in the water anyway and I could dispose of or keep as appropriate.

So my snorkel sits in my gear bin.

Law in this state says you have to have a snorkel (plus a few other things) when diving off a charter. It's a *****, but after the incidents that insipred the movie 'Open Water' occured here, they've bought in a heap of crap. Like someone else suggested before, we normally have the pocket snorkels foled up inside our bcds.

By the way, I really don't see what was wrong with leaving a few yanks out at sea :wink:

Honestly, like someone else x pages back in this thread, it never really ocurred to me that I could just leave my snorkel behind until I discovered SB, and read a few posts on the topic.

There are some dives I do on a regular basis where I wouldn't leave shore without it (Pt. Dume's pinnacles comes to mind). Mostly beach dives with long surface swims. Rough water dives are also great snorkel candidates.

But for the majority of my dives (my avatar notwithstanding) it stays in my gear bag.

I agree with a previous poster. I wear one when teaching PADI courses (as its a requirement), but not when teaching Technical courses or doing my own diving, as it gets in the way.

lamont:

I really tried to avoid opening this thread, I really did....
But there must be something addictive about reading snorkel vs no snorkel or MOF vs no MOF threads. So I ended up opening it.

It seems to me that this thread differs a little from the previous ones in that the no-snorkel proponents are getting more vociferous and very few posters are defending the use of the tube.

Which seems a little strange given that I very rarely come across divers that don't use a snorkel and I dive regularly on a variety of boats with divers from all the major agencies with a wide range of experience.

Personally I regularly use my snorkel and I don't really see the point of having a piece of safety equipment stored where it isn't ready for immediate use.
I agree that there are situations where I wouldn't use a snorkel, eg diving in a situation which requires a long hose or diving in kelp, but otherwise I'd rather have it ready for use.

After my OW certification back in the early 90's my two buddies and I took a trip to Egypt. It was in January so the water was quite choppy.
Our third dive was to a somewhat rough spot because of this reef only 10 ft from the surface. Current was high. We should have not done that dive, especially since the boat was full of newbies. we did nevertheless.
Long story short ... we drifted far from the line and had to swim back as most of us ran out of air ... believe me, since, I have managed to learn quite a few things that are necessary in the real world so not to run out of air.
We all surfaced and began to swim. As instructed, we all used our snorkels for the swim back but the waves kept on crashing over the tubes. Some folks panicked until the DM started screaming "Get on your backs and ditch the snorkels" ...
since then, I have not used one.
Besides that little incident, it always gets in the way, no matter how you adjust the darned thing.

My 2 cents ...

Tanker299

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom