Anyone dived with the new AL-Zuma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Zuma as my first BCD 3 weeks ago. Then I went on my first dive trip.
The tank strap cut into the bladder almost immediately, I had experienced air moving in a normal bcd so I thought the "blub blub" was just that. I really thought I was having bouancy problems because of my inexperience. When it got bad enough (on my 4th dive ) that air would just escape as I put it in and it would hold no air unless I was vertical (head up) in the water I finally examined it thinking it was a valve problem. No, there was a 1/2" slice in the bladder where the tank strap was rubbing.
There are 4 enlongated holes where the tank strap goes through that were just glued. The glue got on the tank strap and made it sharp.
The new model has a plastic holder for the tank.

My LDS gave me a full credit and $100 (rental fee reembursment) toward a new Pro QD.

My impression of it was that it was cheap and low quality sold as "travel friendy" and low weight.

It was very comforable to wear but it held me face down at the surface. The tank strap was in a different location than the other BCD's on the boat, it seemed to line up with the tank brackets on the boat, which made it so it had to be adjusted after leaving the bracket while gearing up. A pain to say the least.

For some reason my reply on 1st January has not been strung on this list - i have had a Zuma some some time and although it does what it says on the tin there are some things that really should be addressed - there are no quick release buckles on the shoulder straps making removal to get into a rib very diffiult - the chest strap is flimsy and the clips have broken twice - there are no D rings on the shoulder straps and the rings that are provided are very small and the pocet o the right hand side is not big enough - the Zuma is fine for the odd dive on holiday but not for a week on a liveaboard - am selling mine after only two trips and have bought a Travelight which is only slightly heavier but does have all the things i require - hope that helps - Trevor

Okay, this is the first time I've posted on this (or any) forum, but I have to let everyone know how much I love my Zuma BC. I am a 60 year old female, weight 115, 5' tall. Bought the XS/S for a trip to Raja Ampat in January based on the recommendation of a friend who owns one. I purchased the AirSource as an option. It packs into a very small roll and allowed me extra room and extra weight in my luggage. My husband also bought a ScubaPro GEO and we actually were able to reduce our checked bags by one!

As to the features, comfort, etc., this is by far the most comfortable, well designed BC I have owned. The integrated weight system is easy to use and the tank straps and counterweight pockets (accessory) enabled perfect stabilization and buoancy. The BC is very adjustable and easy to don and remove. I have a neck problem and was worried about getting out of the harness in the water; easy as could possibly be.

I plan to buy the optional knife and will probably invest in extra weight pockets. I wanted to test it out before spending more money, but I expect to use this BC for many trips to come.

I've read that the Zuma wing material tears. I m also in the market for my bf whom I'd like to get more into diving. I myself have the DiveRite Travel wing which is great and the material is good and durable. I've had it for 3 years and the material is still going strong. The wing folds up and is easy to carry. There is a deal here in Thailand for the Zuma though and he doesn't dive as much as I do soooo...? Decisions Decisions!

I bought my wife a Zuma and it has been, thus far, a fine little BC. This is not a BC intended for anything other than warm water and travel. If you need heavy exposure and wights to compensate and attempt to use a Zuma, you will be sad. The Zuma is quite simply the lightest and smallest BC I could find. I want to be able to pack both of out gear into one bag and have slowly been working our travel kit to this end. My Oxy 18 on the fabric Ultralight plate is still much heavier than a Zuma, though still very light got a BC.

My wife has two other BCs for other use or more general use, the Zuma was bought for travel and it has done fine. I did find that the primary hose for her regulator rubbed on the dump valve causing some fraying of the fabric. I painted this area with aqua seal clear urethane sealant ot make a wear guard. Works fine, may last a thousand years or at least until the rest of the thing go TU. I am sure she will get many years of use from it.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

She is YMCA certified 1980.

N

I've read that the Zuma wing material tears. I m also in the market for my bf whom I'd like to get more into diving. I myself have the DiveRite Travel wing which is great and the material is good and durable. I've had it for 3 years and the material is still going strong. The wing folds up and is easy to carry. There is a deal here in Thailand for the Zuma though and he doesn't dive as much as I do soooo...? Decisions Decisions!

The thing is as light and travel worthy the zuma is, the wing is so fragile that I doubt it will hold up for long. If I was in the market for a travel bcd I would get the zeagle express tech or a simple bp/w.

Reading some of the comments on the Aqualung Zuma and I must say a bit surprised. I am an underwater photographer and I dive with the Zuma a lot...several hundred dives in all kinds of conditions with the Zuma and I really like this BC. I use it in the colder waters off the of California, in the warm waters of the Caribbean and Asia Pacific (which is where this BC really excels). I have taken it all around the world literally and never any issues at all. My local dive shop, where I buy a ton of gear, had recommended I give it a try and offered for me to use it for a month and if I liked it I could buy or if not give it back. Well who can pass up a deal like that.....

I do not dive with a lot of weight so you should remember on any BC that the lift capacity has to be at least equal to or less than the weight you are going to wear. If you are in a heavy wetsuit with lots of weight then this might not be a good choice for you. You also have to think about care of equipment. I still have the first BC I used 25 years ago and it still functions very well. However, after every dive I rinse my BC, I do not set it in sunlight (which is a killer on BCD materials), I roll and store it carefully in my bags and when I return from the dive I hook it up to a water hose and thoroughly rinse the inside of the jacket. If you care for your equipment properly and assuming this has plenty of lift for you then you can consider it as a great choice to consider.

I love the quick release weight pockets, the BC rides great on the surface and is extremely comfortable in the water. I look to get 500+ plus dives from any of my equipment and this BC has delivered in spades.

Feel free to stop by my website if you have some time, the pool is open...

Last edited:
I purchased the Zuma as my first BCD, my first dive using it I was unable to weight it enough to compensate for my 3.5mm wetsuit, and had to use a weight belt (which is a pain with this BCD). In the water and weighted, the BCD was great, and I loved it. I purchased two trim weight pockets for the tank strap which hopefully solve the problem with weight.

Packs easily, dries quick, and comfortable.

i also got the BCD integrated 2nd air source, which is the main reason I did not buy the Cressi rig.

Note: I am 250lbs, and a newbie, so I carry weights (I am told I will lessen my needs as I gain experience).

---------- Post added March 30th, 2013 at 05:13 PM ----------

Also, easier to put on the BCD, then load the weights....

I picked up a old-model Zuma from my LDS on clearance and just got back from a quick trip to Cozumel with it. My impressions:

1. I'm not happy with the stock options to secure the Octo. I really would prefer to have a right shoulder d-ring to clip off a mouthpiece octo holder. For the trip I tried several different methods and finally compromised on clipping that mouthpiece holder to the chest strap, which is dodgy when you consider the chest strap issues...
2. The plastic clips that hold the chest strap and allow adjustment up and down the shoulder straps are terrible. Mine popped off several times with just a little bit of pressure. Luckily the clips didn't break and they're easy enough to reattach.
3. I don't carry much gear, just a small light and now a GoPro on a floaty GoPole hand grip. Both of those items fit in the pocket well enough, but there's little room for anything else. I don't carry a SMB or reel or anything yet, and I have no idea where those items will go.
4. I'm a new diver (24 logged), so I still ride with a lot of weight (18lbs). I had 8lbs in each pocket and 2lbs on my tank strap and I was real happy with the ride. Except...
5. I think I want/need a crotch strap. I think the Zuma felt best when the shoulder straps had a little play but then the BC would sometimes ride up. A crotch strap would probably fix that.

I think next trip I'm going to try a neck lanyard holder for the octo and if somebody can advise me the best way to implement a crotch strap for the Zuma, I'd be happy enough with it until it wears out.

However, now that I've done more research for the wifey's Xmas present, I'll be buying her a Zeagle Express Tech, which looks like the perfect travel system to me.

Finally - My LDS tends to push the new divers into bulky jacket BCDs with the fancy frills (i3 and "air sources") and I've tried several of those out (AL Axiom and Dimension, specifically) and I never liked the idea of being so laden with bulky equipment. Those big BCs made me feel like I was driving a truck around. With this tiny Zuma down in Cozumel, I finally feel like a diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom