Anyone dived with the new AL-Zuma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your post makes no sense to me at all. When a discussion tread is listed as "The Equipment of Scuba Diving/Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems", I think it's the perfect place to ask a question about a BC and users experience with it. I guess I'll go elsewhere for answers...

You're in the right place, a BC is a BC, no matter if it's a jacket, BI, or BP/W....they ALL do the same thing---ie allow air in & out of a bag on your back....

Don't you just love it when a person starts a perfectly legit thread, then someone tells him he basically does not belong here and then later in the thread, the same guy throws in additional stupid comments..........

a jacket is..... a vest is.... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :dork2:

No, this site is not all BackPlate and Wing users.......... are there lots of folks using them yes of course.

I, in addition to hundreds of others, don't use them. Over the past 10 days of diving in the Carib , I did not see one BP/W user.

Get off your high horse, keep threads to their subject and if you want to be a comedian go to one of the Jokers Forums.

So sick of that crap.

Saw one of the ZUMAs at my LDS, looked interesting but believe they're still pretty new on the market for lots of users to help with their comments.

Thanks everyone (yes halemano as well. I do understand where you were coming from with your comment).
Well I went out and bought a Zuma thinking it would fit the bill, but as it turns out, it didn't. I got the BC home and tried it on. The chest strap was a little too high for my liking and so I took off the BC to adjust it. Both sides of the chest strap harness ride on plastic rails. The straps themselves are attached to the rail by special plastic clips. I went to adjust the height of the chest strap by sliding the clips along the rail and one of the plastic clips broke! So much for that. Not good at all.
AL needs to redesign this. It took very little to break the clip and although it wouldn't ruin a days diving (something could be improvised), it's a basic function of a BC that should never fail. Very disappointed, I phoned the store I bought it from and told them I'll be returning it. So it looks like a Scout or Express is what I'll be buying.
The Scout looks like a great BC, but it's slightly heavy for travel. And I'm not sure about the Express. It's really stripped down (just straps and a small plastic backplate). Maybe that's all I need or want in a travel BC.
In any case the Zuma never even got close to the water. Kind of disappointing really.

Last edited:
Don't you just love it when a person starts a perfectly legit thread, then someone tells him he basically does not belong here and then later in the thread, the same guy throws in additional stupid comments..........

a jacket is..... a vest is.... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :dork2:

Saw one of the ZUMAs at my LDS, looked interesting but believe they're still pretty new on the market for lots of users to help with their comments.

First off I never told the OP this thread didn't belong here; I basically told the OP the same thing you did in your last sentence.

Second, my silly comment followed and concerned another silly comment; a vest or stability BC is not a bag of air on your back, it's a bag of air in the vest. :idk:

I'm intrigued by the new AL zuma. Has anyone had direct experience with this BCD. If so what are your thoughts? Any opinions about durability, versatility, ect. Thanks everyone!'

Kind of seems like the only responder that is close to what the OP is looking for will get back to help the OP tomorrow. I will now post the question in Basic Scuba and see if more than one user with more than just a couple dives responds.

One of the instructors at the LDS I work P/T at got a Zuma and loves it. His primary concern was travel weight.
The bladder is quite thin so care must be taken as it is vulnerable to scrapes if you are not careful in wreck swim throughs.
There is no plastic piece like typical BC's have that the tank is secured to but it is very very comfortable with out it.
The tank strap is a couple of inches lower than a normal BC but it has an adjustable
strap that must go around the tank valve to keep the tank against your back , especially when standing out of the water. The tank sort of rests in the channel in your back formed by your spine.
I didn't notice if the chest strap was adjustable up or down but it was definitely to short for me with out even wearing a wetsuit. An extender would be necessary.
If I didn't have a back plate and wing already I might consider one for travel.
A plastic or aluminum back plate and a small Halcyon or competitive wing would weigh the same. As far as travel packing , the wing may well take less volume than the
Zuma , primarily in the area of the padded shoulder straps.
I know however on my BP/W I would have to unthread the tank straps to make it pack the smallest possible package.
However , you cant touch a BP/W for what the Zuma sells for.

a jacket has sleeves, doesn't it? a vest doesn't have sleeves, does it?

-----------------not really, but, you da man...............

I joined here looking for input on the Zuma. There was a lack of info that I am so glad for. I got the Zeagle Express Tech instead. I have only been floating in the pool out back, but man am I ready for the next trip this spring! The new LDS that I discovered has been an added bonus. Too bad for your experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom