Anyone dived with the new AL-Zuma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An epilogue to this Zuma extravaganza: I had no idea that my simple query about the Zuma would create such an entertaining response.
As mentioned earlier in this thread I did buy a Zuma which promptly broke when I got home. After checking out a few other BC's, I decided on the Zeagle Express Tech with the integrated Zip touch option and (after reading a few posts here) the 2" crotch strap. It'll be $100 more than the Zuma (with the options I purchased), but much more versatile and durable. I can use it for most of the diving I do and perhaps (with a larger bladder) all of the diving I do. I have done some cold water diving on the west coast of BC (Port Hardy) in a dry suit which may not be appropriate for the Express Tech. I'd be curious to know if anyone has dived cold water with the express tech (10C or below).

A Quick review of the Aqualung Zuma as promised.

First look it appears to be a very basic no frills platform for warm water diving. It definitely is light and rolls up small. Since I don't have time to slip out to the ocean for a quick dip, the pool is where my test will begin.

I had some concerns about tank stability and ride height adjustment when I first looked at the system, my next greatest concern is with the adjustable chest strap and shoulder adjustment straps. Both appear to be a failure waiting on the chance.

There is not a lot of places to clip off accessories 4 total, and only one pocket. The upper shoulder straps are heavily padded , the one I have seems to have a rolled area inside the left shoulder that can not be smoothed out. While the padding should make for a comfortable ride in the water it was the opposite under weight above. The narrow design allowed the padding to dig into the fold of the shoulder. The chest strap will tighten enough to draw the shoulder straps out of this area however it did not feel as comfortable then as I would have expected.

The material on the underside of the shoulder straps is very clingy, I found it wanting to grab the wetsuit. Donning and doffing was not a smooth slide. Without a wetsuit it was not much better, it wanted to stick to me. In the water, this made for a very stable ride. The concern about tank stability was a non issue. It rode well in all positions and I could adjust the cylinder ride height around 3 to 4 inches. The slimline dump valves all worked and no trapped air pockets were found. The power inflator functioned smoothly enough and was easily controlled if you are accustomed to the Sea-quest style.

Typically in a 3mm suit and fresh water I use no weight, in salt water 4 lbs works well for me. The Zuma carried the lighter weight without issue. I loaded the weight pockets with 20 lb and found at that weight the waistband needs to be very snug or the sure-lock system can disengage and dump the pouch. On the unit we have, the position of the weight landed just forward of my hip center line and rode comfortably even at the heavier weights. I found the single pocket easy to use and reach even with the fully loaded weight pockets.

The two lower D rings are hidden by the weight pouches when the heavier weight is used and locating them is hampered further by their smaller size. The upper D ring on the left side is placed further back then necessary and requires a bit of chicken wing rotation to use. That leaves the upper D on the right for the most practical use. Unfortunately, it is on the same side as the pocket.

While using this BC a lot of consideration and planning is necessary if you want to secure your gear and keep the danglies away. Use of the shoulder areas and straps are completely out.

If, I wanted a small basic platform to throw in a carry on and go someplace warm to dive I think this would do well. There are some longevity issues in the construction I will be watching, if it can stand up to consistent use I will be surprised. It may be the start of a travel BC with some future refinements, only time will tell. If you like all the accessories and safety items for an ocean dive I think a different platform is called for, otherwise, I would dive it.

Thanks Hallmac. Great, thorough, review. You're absolutely spot-on about the chest strap. It didn't last a day for me.

Thanks for the info...I just posted in another thread because I was looking for comments on this BC. Any updated info? I tried one on at my LDS tonight, told hubby not to buy yet because I wanted to do some research. Was thinking about getting one for my trip to Bonaire in March, but you raise some concerns. Have you used it again?

Hi Gaila,

I have not done anymore diving with one other than the one night in the pool, I can't keep them in stock. They are selling faster than I can get delivery. So far, we have not been notified of any issues with any that have sold.

I still have reservations about the durability, however, so far no problems.

My wife and I just acquired Zuma's as part of an ultralite kit for an upcoming trip to Bonaire. We just completed a checkout dive last night.

We found the fit to be pretty good (wife is using sm/md and I'm using md/lg). We were fortunate enough to be able to try all sizes at the LDS before we bought - it seems that since the tank is used as an integral part of the BC (that's your back plate) it's important to get the right size especially for height and waist.

We both dive cold water and compared to the ruggedness of our regular BCs the Zuma first appeared to flimsy to say the least, but I think they are a little tougher than what first meets the eye. Bottom line is that you can't cheat the laws of physics - if it's going to be that light the mass has to come off somewhere. Halmac is right is time will tell is the BC will stand up to repeated use.

Setting up on the tank was not like what I would normally do - your really need to read the instructions on positioning. Remember the tank becomes an integral part of the BC for fit.

So how did it go - well we liked it ! The fit was good and we spent hours trying out every possible thing we'd be faced with on a recreation warm water dive (shore or boat). No problem with the weight system, but we we're only using 12lb (I could see possible issues getting up to the 20 lb max weight) but there was no premature loss of weight, both of us we able to dump and replace both pockets in water (did find that it's easier to roll on your back to get the weight pockets to slip in place).

Boyancy control was pretty good - seemed typical for a back wing style - I could maintian any position in and no problems dumping air.

Neither of us had any problems with getting into or out of the BC both in or out of water. Didn’t notice the "sticky" issue on the shoulder straps mentioned. Both of use were able to easily roll into and out of the BC under water.

Based on the earlier posts that I read through - I hope this doesn’t set off another post storm, and as a gear reviewer I'm not even close to the level of experience of most of the members :)

General impressions as a consumer recreational diver is:

Zuma is as light as I could find. It seems to be perfectly adequate for warm tropical diving like Bonaire - and when paired up with an ultra-lite reg - we're coming in at 8 lbs that I can pack in a single carry on. Zuma doesn’t look to be a do it all BC ... it highly specialized for just what it is - ultra-light traveler. It took a bit of getting used to compared to a standard wing BC that we're used to, but once we got dialed in we both liked it.

In 4 weeks I post a follow-up on actual use - will see then if we LOVE it or HATE it :)

One of my dive buddy's just bought the Scout for a trip to Palau. He said it fits well in the dive caddy system. There are plenty of travel BCD's to choose from. If I remember correctly, there was a member that bought the the Zuma & took it on a trip, only to have it malfunction. You can put 'zuma' in the search box & most likely find what people have posted about it.

Here’s our follow-up report on the Zuma.

After a week of diving in Bonaire on the Zuma, both my wife and I found the BCD to be just what it’s advertised as … a light capable travel BC !

Neither of us had any trouble with the Zuma regarding control, weighting, or robustness. Both BCs held up well to travel and packing, rigors of both shore and boat diving, and performed well at shallow and deeper depths. They perform better than they look with regard to ruggedness.
As a UW photographer the only con I have is that the weight integration tends to put the weight low and in front around the waist, trending the diver to have a face up forward attitude when diving. We tried a few methods to compensate, but they just naturally wanted to move you back to that position. My wife liked it, as this is a natural attitude for her. I on the other hand had some trouble with those upside down on my side situations that photographers like to get into. The solution was just moving some weight from the pockets to the tank with trim weight.
I don’t think the Zuma is a do everything BC, but it certainly hit the mark for a BC that you can pack into your carry on and head to the tropics with. I suppose the next step is to see how long they last with repeated trips.

One point of interest was that a lot of people had a bad opinion of the BC. They hadn’t used or seen one, but seemed to not like them for some reason - One of the dive masters even gave us some negative comments. Everyone that we met, and asked about the BC, seemed to change their opinion by the end of the trip.

I was a little skeptical about its durability when I first saw it -- although that's not too huge an issue for strictly a travel BC -- but our First Mate has been using it daily for five months now (pool and ocean) without a problem. If it survives the type of abuse and neglect that we tend to heap on our gear, it should present no problem for the recreational user...

I have a Zuma, and we are on our 5th dive... Here is my thoughts!

It is a BCD for people who do not need much weight, I need to add extra weight pouches on the back, and it offsets the back inflate part kinda nicely.
The big thing to remember is that is sits low, and snug and should feel like a back pack... you can not give it much slack or it fits funny and floats up at the surface, and sags under water. I love the way it feels, it fits like a backpack, and opens up the range of motion. My last dive I finly got to know the Zuma, its a light open feeling kinda like hang gliding, it felt like it was just part of my suit! The Zuma is very pours and it takes a quick min for the water to get in the padding and to get out... But that also holds sand if your a beach diver...
It took me a few dives to get use to the lack of stuff, wile it floats like a Balance, it feels more attached and less binding under the water. On land it holds together well, and seems to be a great "backpack" like my Kelly(Sierra bag) soft pack, it did not pull or crush my but... this is a first for a BCD!
I liked it! I will let you know If I change my mind!

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom