Anyone dived with the new AL-Zuma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a Zuma for over a year and found it to be a basic wing which is all you need for warm water diving particularly bearing in ming weight restrictions on planes these days. I found only three problems with the Zuma - there are no quick release clips on the shoulder straps which i found a complete pain when i first used it - the pocket on the right hand side is not large enough for a reel and SMB and there are no D rings on the shoulder straps. I have cured the problem of the quick release clips by having two professionally fitted and am thinking of ways to have D rings fitted on the shoulder straps and i thinkl i will have to live with the small pocket. It has plenty of good points however - it is very lightweight compared to say the Balance - the weight pockets are a good size and clip in very securly and most inportant of all i feel confident using it even though it does look a bit flimzy. i will be using it next year on trips to the Red Sea and to PNG. hope this helps. Trevor

I had the same three issues plus the chest strap looks too flimsy to me.

I tried one on at my LDS two weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is. The chest strap is more substantial than I had thought but still looks easily breakable. I was impressed with the weight lock system. Easy to deal with and very secure.

In the end, I decided to go with the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe (I like my quick release buckles). It weighs a couple of pounds more, although still very light, but with Zeagle durability's never an issue. I just can't risk breaking my BC when I go on vacation.

I may still get one for the sake of redundancy, but I'd really like to see a revised version with a beefed up chest strap, quick release buckles on the shoulder straps, a couple of D-rings and an expandable pocket. These wouldn't add much to the weight or the price But my understanding is that the Zuma's selling like hot cakes so AL probably won't bother.

I don't mean to hijack here but...
How would this bc hold up off California, say near the channel islands? My wife has interest in this bc and wants to use it on our next trip there. She would be wearing 7mm with hood, no gloves, and booties. Do you think she would need additional weight belt/harness? Is the lift adequate? She is 5'0 and 125 lbs. Thoughts?

Funny thing is BC's don't care about how cold the water is....With that said, with the optional Trim Pockets you can hold 30 pounds of lead like most BC's, so if the buoyancy meets your personal opinion of what is adequate (For me diving California I only need about 20 pounds of buoyancy - just my opinion in 35 years of diving ;-) than the BC will do fine in coldwater! Zuma is what I have been using on all my So Cal dives! Holds a tank more securely and comfortably than most all other Bc's I have tried.

I have over 100 dives on my Zuma now and absolutely love it! It is like diving with nothing on but if you need lots of pockets and D rings it is not for you.

I’ve used my Zuma on three dive trips and definitely like it but it is not perfect. Great weight and size for travel. Simple to rinse and dry. My first BCD purchase, although I have been renting them for 20 years. I agree with LIVEABOARDDIVER that it is like diving with nothing on.

MY primary BCD requirements are light travel weight, integrated weights, and wings.

No D rings on straps. Weight pouches sit low and I adjust the tank high because it does want me to be vertical. With my Polar-tec suit I use 16 lbs of lead and 20 lbs with my 3 mil rubber. I have attached removable weight pockets on the shoulder straps above the chest strap and load them with 2 lbs of lead each and float perfectly on the horizontal. Dropped a weight pouch twice because it didn’t snap completely in. No place to attach light or knife.

Would prefer quick-release shoulder straps but no big deal. Although I like TREVOR11’s idea of adding quick-release buckles and D rings.

Diving with it again next week in Mexico.

------
Donald

One question I need to ask about Zuma. I've encountered people saying Zuma is not designed for everyday use. Because it worn out quickly. Advice please....

One question I need to ask about Zuma. I've encountered people saying Zuma is not designed for everyday use. Because it worn out quickly. Advice please....

They may be right....I have had to repair one leak in the bladder on my wife's Zuma. I think the hole was caused by some rubbing that took place during a rough boat ride. The bladder material is very flimsy so extra care needs to be taken when stowing.

Weight-wise it is a great BC but it could be better. Lose the padding, stronger bladder are two that come to mind.

My Zeagle Express, although slightly heavier, is much sturdier and packs smaller.

No D rings on straps. No place to attach light or knife. Would prefer quick-release shoulder straps but no big deal.

Good news on the above mentioned issues. The 2011 issues have D-rings added to the shoulders. There has always been a knife mount so I am not sure where that came from. We still have not had a single issue from any that we have sold so Durability appears acceptable. Still missing the quick release shoulder strap so it still has room for improvement.

The new Dimension and Lotus would be perfect if they came with standard power inflator instead of the i3 system.

Our Zumas have held up very well despite being packed and banged around for over a year now. I can see some scuffs on the bladder but so far so good. I agree with removing more of the padding, do not understand why the shoulder straps need QR buckles and VERY happy to hear about the D-Rings on the shoulders.

Two small adjustments I have found is that by taking an extra cam band with weight pouches I can trim out really well by simply slapping a couple pounds at the top of the tank. Also, the Dive Right Daisy Chain Sheath that comes with their shears clips to the bottom portion of the shoulder straps perfectly. I also use the knife mount to bungee mount my SMB.

Agree with the Dimension/Lotus comment. They looked great until I got to that strange connector.

Overall very happy!

Back
Top Bottom