Anyone else have a problem with a buddy grabbing your primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my question, "Is it too much to ask that a buddy, who starts to experience out-of-air problems, bangs on his/her tank or somehow gets my attention, and then requests my octopus?" Or, must we all learn to comply with this "new standard" which is starting to become well-known, that all technical divers donate their long primary and that it's "acceptable" to just grab it?

1) If I'm diving with you, then we've already gone over air sharing situations in the pre-dive briefing.

2) I monitor my gas supply closely, even more so as it diminishes. I always have a pretty good idea how much gas I have at any given moment without looking. I communicate this with my buddies as well.

3) I know where my alternate air sources are and am practiced in deploying them.

4) Taking all of that in mind, I don't expect you to run out/low on air.

But if you do, and you feel it's a matter of life or death for you to grab the reg I'm breathing without signaling, then by all means do so. My backup works and I'm not afraid to use it! We'll sort any other problems out once everyone has air again and we'll talk about what happened to cause you to have to just grab it without signalling once we get back to the surface.

Oh that's how the Tech Instructors are trained ? :) Nice

No that's how I, Bill, would react to a panicked diver trying to molest me underwater - or at least molesting me to grab my primary out of my mouth. :)

Kidding aside - go back to your rescue training - when I am underwater, I am number one (providing it is not a student and then I am already way ahead of them). Do you need two people in peril or just one?

No that's how I, Bill, would react to a panicked diver trying to molest me underwater - or at least molesting me to grab my primary out of my mouth. :)

Kidding aside - go back to your rescue training - when I am underwater, I am number one (providing it is not a student and then I am already way ahead of them). Do you need two people in peril or just one?

"And on the last remaining air in the lungs the panicking diver would take out his knife and with a scream "I will take everyone with me"" will cut the LP hose in return :D

Perfect.:wink:

1) If I'm diving with you, then we've already gone over air sharing situations in the pre-dive briefing.

2) I monitor my gas supply closely, even more so as it diminishes. I always have a pretty good idea how much gas I have at any given moment without looking. I communicate this with my buddies as well.

3) I know where my alternate air sources are and am practiced in deploying them.

4) Taking all of that in mind, I don't expect you to run out/low on air.

But if you do, and you feel it's a matter of life or death for you to grab the reg I'm breathing without signaling, then by all means do so. My backup works and I'm not afraid to use it! We'll sort any other problems out once everyone has air again and we'll talk about what happened to cause you to have to just grab it without signalling once we get back to the surface.

Anyone else have a problem with a buddy grabbing your primary?
I really don't want this to ever happen, but in the event it does, I really want it to be a non-issue. Training to make this the primary donation response and positioning the octo for it has for me always seemed to be the right thing to do, from my very first day in OW class (it was the first question I asked).

The alternative to them grabbing my primary--grabbing my backup and snapping off the bungee, really doesn't concern me either, as it doesn't interrupt my own gas supply.

For most people, I think this system also has the benefit of minimizing face punching, which IMO is a net plus for diving.

"And on the last remaining air in the lungs the panicking diver would take out his knife and with a scream "I will take everyone with me"" will cut the LP hose in return :D

Pushing you away gives room to maneuver and stops the molestation.

By the time you decided to get your knife out you would already have my long hose in your pie hole.....

Gotta love tec diving terms!.......... :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom