Anyone else hooked on Battlestar Galactica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been hooked since I tuned into the airing of the miniseries (expecting it to be completely garbage sci-fi).

I love the effects they use where they're actually using some of the ways that ships would move in zero gravity -- its not perfect, but its nice to see special effects physics evolving away from the standard set by Star Wars in 1978. I also like the jittery cameras that put you in the action. And the wide-shots of battles between cylon bases and battlestars are really amazing with the amount of gunfire, missiles, fighters, etc. It all looks a lot like the video game Homeworld...

And its so nice that it feels halfway grown up in the drama and character development and plot development. I loved the post-9/11 feeling of the miniseries, and the current insurgency plot thread is pretty brutal, and there's the all the underlying plot threads about religious fundamentalism as well... And they present all the issues without beating you over the head with it, without explaining absolutely everything, and without being overly preachy...

mikerault:
Yes, the new is better than the old. Maybe they will rescue them and get back to finding earth. Of course killing off the really interesting characters leaves me a bit concerned...or where they just dead weight (no pun intended).

Mike

We still don't know they've been killed off, we just heard gunfire... And I thought that Roslin was shown in upcoming clips, so she's either not dead, or she's a cylon...

My vote is that it's in the top 3 programs on TV these days. And unlike those other network shows, if you miss the regular show time, at least you have a few more chances to see the episode the rest of the week.

Best episode - 8 minutes. Or was it 9 minutes. I know it was the 1st or 2nd show after the 2 hr intro/movie.

So you say there's no scifi in BSG. At least is has more Scifi than ECW. Come on. Wrestling on SciFi!?!?!?! What's next, R rated movies on Nike at Nite?

It seems to be a pretty decent show. I'm having trouble figuring out who is "good" and who is "bad." Querry: If one can't tell a cylon from a human by blood, DNA, etc., isn't it a human, too? And vis-a-vis religiou: The cylons, who seem to be indistinguishable from humans, seem to have a closer religious belief system than the colonists.

I know what episode you're talking about. The one where the cylons jump in 10 minutes after every jump... The show is amazing. I'm just afraid the show is trying to turn a new corner, and it will fail miserably... kinda like the 2nd season of Buck Rogers (one of my fav sci-fi shows).

The first actual episode was "33". Most fans liked it, although the military science buffs thought it absurd that the pilots had undergone dozens of combat sortees without any sleep.

Or that Galactica could put up high volumes of defensive fire for protracted periods without having an ammunition ship handy for reloads.

A lot of people preferred the second season of Buck Rogers for its darker theme and stronger character development. Some fans view each season as two entirely different series.

Oh you're a tricky lady Lisa:11doh:

33. That's it. Thanks. And weren't the pilots taking speed!??!?! :pilot:

Good point about difference between humand and cylon. I guess someone needs to tell the dr. that instead of doing all the blood tests and such, just look for that fiber optica interface in the left wrist area. :cyborg:

I'm just glad that it appears the whole season won't be on New Caprica. They keep an even keel and the show should do well. Maybe these guys are scifi geeks too and have learned from the likes of Dark Angel and the original BSG.

I dig it.. and... you can't survive a nuclear blast by hiding behind a tall blond... he's gotta be a toaster and not know it...

Back
Top Bottom