Anyone from the greater Lansing area?? Need LDS info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BGF

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for LDS info from anyone from the greater Lansing area (Mason specifically). My brother is looking to get certified soon and is thinking about going to Aquatic Sports Ltd in Mason because they do their OW cert dives in a lake by the shop (compared to quarries in OH). I've checked out their website, a little unusual IMO, but looks pretty ok. I was really hoping to find someone on the board that has been to the shop, been certified by them, or knows anyone who has. My bro is a big boy and can make his own educated decisions but I just wanted to see if I can help with recommendations. I'm also a beginner DIR guy so am looking over the available gear configs at the shops he's going to. Any help/info would be appreciated

I have used that shop for a lot of my service work and air fills. The owners are great people. I can't provide you with any opinion on training, but they have a great indoor pool and as you are already aware they can do the open waters behind the shop. I drive from Jackson where there is a local LDS 5 minutes from where I work. I certified with that shop as the instructor was a friend of mine. I bought quite a bit of gear from them before leaving for the Mason store about 40 minutes away.

thanks MD. Have you done any dives behind the shop? From the website it seems like they have a decent amount of retail space. Any info on selection and $. Pretty average? I'm also assuming by the pics it's mostly or all rec gear, not tech? Thanks again.

They are a rec shop like most wetsuits, masks, fins, regs, drysuits and accessories. Retail space is average with a decent selection. Seaquest equipment for the most part. I have never dove behind the shop but it looks decent.

Hi. I'm the brother he speaks of. Just got registered and have been doing a lot of reading. I'll probably begin the certification process within another month or so, so I am looking for any helpful advice that I can get. My mind isn't 100% set on the place in Mason, I'm simply looking for the most efficient, and best place to get certified at around the local area.

Thanks for any advice/info that you can provide.

Hey are you guys twins or do you just have matching avitars?

Nothing against you boys in Lansing, but I tend to favor the Maize and Blue. You have ZZ Underworld or something similar in Lansing on Michigan Ave just East of Sparrow Hospital. I have only stopped in the store once so no real experience with them. I would encourage you to make a trip to Mason to speak with the owners and tour the facility. They have a first class indoor pool for training.

Well, we are both lifelong Spartans. I'm a 2001/2003 grad, and my bro is too. As for being a UM fan, hey, no one's perfect. I won't hold it against you. *grin* Maybe I should get a different MSU avatar.

I stopped into ZZ last fall, and they seem nice, but do all of their open water stuff down in Ohio. I'd rather not have to drive two hours to do my open water cert. I'll head down to Mason in a week or so to see what they have to say. It sounds like they do a lot of diving at the local lakes, as well as schedule longer trips up to the better dive sites around the Great Lakes.

At this point I'm open to soaking up all the knowledge I can from people who know the sport. My bro will tell you, I'm a sponge for knowledge, so I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions once I enter the cert process.

Where do you do most of your diving?

Hoping to do some more charters in the Great Lakes, some local lakes and of course Gilboa Quarry in Ohio. You may want to look at the Meet & Greet thread stickied above. If you are going to get certified this is a good time to meet other divers. You don't need to be certified to attend.

They say being a Spartan fan is a birth defect, you may want to check as you may be due some government cheese.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Don't worry though I wouldn't hold that against you. There was a guy up there who did some diving with us named John something or other. He went by Joe Delt on the board. His wife was some type of house supervisor? for a sorority or something

interesting, Dantonio comes back to MSU and the recruiting jumps up a notch or 2, Rodriguez moves to UM and the scholarship players start jumping ship :D. I'll hold my tongue for now, but am looking forward to a great season for Spartan football!! I'll proudly keep my avatar!

I bought a couple tanks from ZZ in Lansing but have done the rest of my training and purchases out east where I now live. Thanks again for the insight. Maybe we'll have to hook up for a dive or two the next time I'm in MI.

At least I know I won't run into too many other scUM fans when I'm diving, most of them are either waiting in line at Walmart to buy more clothing, or have their heads shoved so far up their butt that they have no need for a regulator! This is going to be fun! :)

What is the Great Lakes wreck diving/charter diving like for novices like me once I get certified? Are there many places that are relatively shallow, and good for rookies, are are the majority of them deep with strong current?

Back
Top Bottom