Anyone have a supplier for 'generic' VIS stickers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't post a picture because I really am a jerk to idiots on this forum, and i'd not want my piss poor attitude to affect our dive shop. But I will find out all there is to know about this log book and the DOT number.
The shop owner is already deceiving you (and the public), why do you think he'll suddenly straighten up and fly right?:shakehead:

the level of detail and record-keeping described by Superlyte27 would be appropriate for hydro testing.... God help us if that level of paper trail ever comes required of all shops. The OP thinks the price of VIP is onerous now?? just imagine how costly it could become if joe schmoe undermines the trust inherent in the current system by plastering homemade stickers onto untested tanks thus pushing the industry to adopt more stringent traceability of VIP evidence of Inspection...

The shop owner is already deceiving you (and the public), why do you think he'll suddenly straighten up and fly right?:shakehead:

Try not to be an idiot... Okay?

the level of detail and record-keeping described by Superlyte27 would be appropriate for hydro testing.... God help us if that level of paper trail ever comes required of all shops. The OP thinks the price of VIP is onerous now?? just imagine how costly it could become if joe schmoe undermines the trust inherent in the current system by plastering homemade stickers onto untested tanks thus pushing the industry to adopt more stringent traceability of VIP evidence of Inspection...

Given the lawsuit happy state of mind in the USA a shop doing VIP should record their inspections as a CYA lest there ever be an accident and some how the cylinder was involved. When I did inspections even for friends I would record my inspections. Ditto on regulators.

At least the shop owner just mentioned makes it clear that he is only person to do visuals which is a better than some shops. That said I do find it amusing that he performs visual eddies but does not fill those cylinders. (i.e. there is no need for a visual eddy test on AL made from 6061).

BTW - I recently learn that the in CGA P5, para 6.1 it notes "Annually, each
SCUBA cylinder should be visually inspected ...both externally and
internally ..." and while CGA is not DOT some CGA guidelines are directly referenced by DOT so in affect are "law". Not saying the above is referenced by DOT but just and FYI.

That said I do find it amusing that he performs visual eddies but does not fill those cylinders. (i.e. there is no need for a visual eddy test on AL made from 6351)..

Of course there is a "need" - you are just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Granted, there is no "official" requirement. But the shop has gone off and purchased an eddy devise that may or may not be suitable for use on 6351 cylinders and now the "NEED" to make a profit on it. QED

Last edited by a moderator:
We eddy every aluminum tank we VIP. That's why the EDDY tester was purchased. You don't really think we are getting rich off the $15 bucks we charge to VIP the occasional tank do you? The EDDY machine costs over 1k.

but does every aluminum tank really require and EDDY?

No as per Catalina, now I don't know about the other guys (tank comps.)
If you own a shop you can make up any rule you want. Some are going to call you on the BS that is pushed and some are going to go along with it. Know how and what, is a nice thing to have under your belt!
The shop I use banks 40; 36; and 32 and you can get an o2 bottle filled. They use a stick, great invention!:wink:
See you topside! John

Wow . . . I'm feeling really fortunate with our one-man shop here. I have watched him do the inspections, and yes, the five+ minutes he takes is worth it. Sounds really tough to be just a number in a big op.

We eddy every aluminum tank we VIP. That's why the EDDY tester was purchased. You don't really think we are getting rich off the $15 bucks we charge to VIP the occasional tank do you? The EDDY machine costs over 1k.

What does a dive shop get rich off of?

So the shop spent $1K+ for a device that is only really useful or appropriate for inspecting 6351 Al tanks but refuses to fill those 6351 tanks. And then it requires customers to help pay for the unnecessary investment. :shakehead:

Just another example of why divers get frustrated with LDS's.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom