Anyone have an updated Catalina dive condition report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RENT a hood and gloves? :confused:

These items are available cheap at most online dive shops. Even local merchants have prices that don't break the bank. Renting them is rather pointless for them (and you), and so likely not going to happen. Some suits come with hoods attached. You can certainly call a few shops and ask about renting.

OTOH, I dove out there a couple weeks back, and while I do dive dry, I did not bother with a hood or glove at Cataline, the water temps are nice (64~66f).

FYI, LP sells 7mm hoods for under $30, and 5mm gloves for under $20, but kinda late to be ordering something up for this weekend. I suppose you could do 1~2 day air, but that may cost as much as you would save buying online.

I'd look local. I did buy some thin gloves before my trip at an LDS, and they ran me $22, so about the same price as mailorder + ship costs.

I would think your 3mm gloves, boots, and hood would be sufficient. I used to dive wet with 3mm gloves (still use my 3mm wet gloves) and boots -- I think my hood was 5mm, but there are people who are fine without hoods right now, so I think the 3mm should be fine.

Personally, I think socal is too cold to dive wet if you want to do multiple dives in a day and/or dive somewhat deep....but there are many who do it with little issue. As long as you have a decent tolerance to cold, you should be fine....regardless, the 3mm hood, boots, and gloves should be fine.

Have fun!

Personally, I think socal is too cold to dive wet if you want to do multiple dives in a day and/or dive somewhat deep....but there are many who do it with little issue.
Have fun!

I, for instance, consider my forays into SoCal waters my warm water trips. :D

Don't get TOO worked up about it, but try to get some decent insulation. Owning your own hood and gloves will keep you warming than nasty, beatup rental gear and they're not THAT expensive.

Thanks for all the replies. I brought my 3 mm hood and boots to use. May buy a pair of thicker gloves since all I have is thin warm water 1 mm gloves. Hopefully I won't be noticed as the "wuss" warm water guy on the boat due to shivering in a corner somewhere!

Scott - those are some amazing photographs.
One looks like the USC preserve. Was there much post-production work on them? Can I use them in future promotions of dive trips here on ScubaBoard?

Again, amazing shots!

Dave, thanks alot for the nice compliments. 1st one was from arrow point, 2nd one from indian rock. very minor post-prod work on them. Let me create a watermarked version you can link to for dive trip promotions on scubaboard, I'll PM you when its ready.

Hopefully I won't be noticed as the "wuss" warm water guy on the boat due to shivering in a corner somewhere!

As long as you have a good 7mm suit on, you should be fine. the water very shallow is sometimes much warmer than the water a little deeper.

as soon as you finish your dive, take off your wetsuit above your waist, dry your hair off, put on a sweater and knit hat, stay out of the wind, and drink hot water. trust me, this will help *alot* in keeping your core temp up.

scott

Dave, thanks alot for the nice compliments. 1st one was from arrow point, 2nd one from indian rock. very minor post-prod work on them. Let me create a watermarked version you can link to for dive trip promotions on scubaboard, I'll PM you when its ready.

Thanks Scott!

BTW, conditions Saturday were amazing. We had 50 vis and 60-65 at depth temps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom