Anyone hear of getting kicked out of BOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in a small town with one LDS. The next nearest dive shop is about 175 miles away, and it just happens to be Scubatoys. I took all my certification classes with my LDS and bought a lot of my gear there. Since the market is so small here, the LDS does not carry a lot of gear. You might find a couple of reg sets, a few pairs of fins, three masks, and a few bc's and wetsuits to choose from. They are almost exclusively a ScubaPro dealer, which means they can only offer a discount of 10% off SRP. The cert classes are about the same price as any I have seen advertised in larger markets. They do not require you to buy their equipment when going to OW class, but they do push it, and you can expect to see 95% of the OW students wearing Twin Jets, Scubapro booties, ScubaPro masks, and ScubaPro wetsuits. If they choose to purchase regs and bc's, those are going to be ScubaPro as well. Some students go through the class with gear purchased elsewhere, or borrowed from a friend, and the shop does not have a problem with that. You might not get as good of service from them or information on gear, but hey, you get what you pay for.

The lady that runs the shop has been diving 24 years, is a PADI instructor, and knows nothing about dive equipment whatsoever. I wanted an Apeks reg, and when I asked her if she could order one, she said "Apeks, they are the ones that are going out of business, their regs suck, you don't want one". As soon as I heard that, I realized that I needed to be getting my information about equipment from somewhere else. I did get a killer deal on a Aeris Atmos ai computer in there, the price was way below what I have seen advertised on any of the internet sites. When I asked her if Aeris and Oceanic were the same computer, just cosmetically different, she said "NO, Aeris is way better than Oceanic. Oceanic tries to copy some things Aeris does, but their computers aren't nearly as good." So I don't know if she is just trying to sell what she has, or just really doesn't know that much about equipment.

They have a pool and do air fills, and if they go under, I will be hard pressed to get my tanks filled. However, I still buy a lot of stuff online. I give them a chance, and if they carry what I want at a reasonable price, I give them the business, if not, I buy online. Their instructors are ok at best. I felt no real effort on their part to go above and beyond in training. I kind of thought they were just trying to herd as many students through as quickly as possible. I have always felt very comfortable in the water, even doing things I had never done before. I always feel confident and know I can think my way out of any problem I get into. I saw a lot of students going through OW class that weren't that way. They would have trouble with a very simple task and as long as they performed it, they went on to the next thing. No effort to help them build confidence and critical thinking skills, just perform the task and lets move on. I worry about those students. They really got short changed on their training.

In any other business, if your prices are too high or your service is too low, your customers go somewhere else. If this leads to a business going under, so be it. A lot of dive shops try to hold the arguments "You can't buy air on the internet", or "If we go under, where are you going to get your tank filled" over your head in an attempt to force you into doing business with them.

I have ordered a lot of gear from ScubaToys, and have been to their shop once. Their customer service is great, their prices are great, they have vast knowledge of diving and all the products they sell, they have a storefront and an internet site. THEY KNOW HOW TO OPERATE A BUSINESS SUCCESSFULLY. I am not trying to advertise for ScubaToys, just trying to say when you go into a shop to buy something, and come out feeling good about the information you got, the training you received, or the stuff you bought, they chances of you going back there are very high. I am sure there are a lot of other shops out there that are just as successful, but there are more shops out there operating under the other model that does not include good prices, good training, or good service. Anywhere there is a scuba shop, there is obviously some sort of market for their products and services. If the shop goes under because of their business practices, someone will eventually take their place.

mattboy:
$50 to "inspect" a mask, fins, and snorkle...bet the guy had a hard time keeping a straight face on that line. And, I must say, the "insurance" explanation is a beauty as well. These guys are goooood!

Well, I suppose if you think about the biohazard potential of a mask & snorkel, they could be impregnated with germs & bacteria & God knows what else. Yuck. So of course the employees will need suitable disposable protective clothing and you'll have to install an adequate air-conditioning and filtering system so the neighbours don't get contaminated.
Not to mention the risk of a fin strap snapping while having its integrity tested and a piece fly off and blind the tester.
High risk business all around.
$50 actually sounds like quite a bargain....

midwayman:
Anyone hear of someone getting kicked out of Basic Open Water after only 90min in the pool? This is after aceing the knowledge tests. Buddy was a little slow and the instructor booted the both of them instead of just one. Circumstances seem a little odd. Just wondering what has to be going wrong to boot someone after such a short in pool time.

The students need to talk to the LDS, and determine WHY they were kicked out.

If it was for any reason other than unsafe conduct, or something along those lines, then the certification agency needs to be contacted.

There is ZERO excuse for the LDS to boot a student because they purchase gear elsewhere, as no reason was provided, this is pure speculation.

There needs to be more detail provided to determine what exactly happened here. If none is forthcomming, then further discussion is pointless.

ghostdiver1957:
50% markup?... The LDS's in my area markup 100% - 300%.

Exactly.. 50% markup? I wish. Prices that I have seen locally are atleast 100% markup and in many cases MUCH more.
One reason I think people get angry over this more now is because of how easy it has become to exchange information, do research, check prices, and everything else online. So now people know what the markup is, and I think that there are very few industries I know of where they can markup items for 300%. I know that when we sell hardware where I work (not dive related), we are lucky to be able to mark up 3-5%, because we can't compete with a large internet market. We never treat anyone differently or badly because they decided to buy online. Everyone in almost all industries has to adapt to the fact that internet sales are here to stay, and figure out a way to stay viable. Many other industries have done it, the scuba industry just seems to be slower than most to come to that conclusion.

I'd like to know Midwayman's relationship to the student kicked out - does she have a motivation to misrepresent to him what happened in the class?

As far as LDS vs. other sources, it's a free market. The LDS has to find a way to compete by leveraging their strengths. If I save several hundred dollars on gear, maybe I won't mind paying $10 to fill an AL80 with air. Maybe training should cost more. Maybe the dive shop should set up a website selling gear at a discount, and compete directly. Maybe they should drop their prices to internet rates, but charge fitting and set up fees - let people choose the level of service they need, and are willing to pay for.

Isn't that freedom? If I know what I'm doing, why should I have to pay for assistance I don't require? Do you see Ritz-Carlton whining about Motel 6? Do they demand that everybody pay to have a conscierge whether they need it or not?

I buy tires for my cars and motorcycles online, and sometimes mount them myself. I save hundreds of dollars that way. If you envy that savings, either learn to do what I do, or pay the tire store to do it for you. When I need my appendix out, I pay a doctor. Each consumer decide what level of service you need, and be willing to pay for it. MAking newbies buying gear subsidize air fills for experienced divers is like a pyramid club. Let everyone pay their own way according to what they use.

diptera:
If I save several hundred dollars on gear, maybe I won't mind paying $10 to fill an AL80 with air. Maybe training should cost more. Maybe the dive shop should set up a website selling gear at a discount, and compete directly. Maybe they should drop their prices to internet rates, but charge fitting and set up fees - let people choose the level of service they need, and are willing to pay for.

Isn't that freedom? If I know what I'm doing, why should I have to pay for assistance I don't require? Do you see Ritz-Carlton whining about Motel 6? Do they demand that everybody pay to have a conscierge whether they need it or not?

Excellent points! You should get what you pay for and expect to pay for what level of service you get!

Hmm... I have experience with a couple dive shops.

The first is where I got certified and got my AOW. When I started, I wanted to start with inexpensive gear to see what I liked rather than buying thousands of dollars I couldn't afford to change out.

I got nothing but grief from the owner, who puts little back into his dive shop, and does nothing but whine and moan about how he's being run out of business, he demands loyalty, is verbally abusive to those who buy ANYTHING that isn't from him, even if it isn't a brand he carries, and badmouths the brands that aren't his.

Despite a desire to remain loyal to my "original" dive shop, after strike three, he ran me out, and I haven't so much bought a tube of aquaseal from him since.

I was introduced to dive shop 2 when shopping for fins with a friend who wanted to snorkel in Hawaii. After showing us the expensive scuba fins, upon learning the friend only wanted to snorkel, the knowledgable employee said "Oh, then you don't want these!" and took her to the far more inexpensive fins. Upon seeing my internet-purchased regulator, she exclaimed about how small it was and began playing with it.

The owner is a photo junkie and despite the fact that NONE of my photo gear was bought from them, he has spent a lot of time with me explaining settings and gear configurations.

Shop 1 has probably gotten about 500$ out of me personally at which point I was so disgusted and going there was ruining my diving experience, so I stopped going.

Shop 2, between family and myself, probably has about 5 grand of mine in its tills. I now will do training there; order most of my gear from them, and I've completed my second trip (first international trip) with them... despite the fact that when I came to them, I'd bought NOTHING from them, even an OW class, and had gear I'd bought on the internet.

I have NO sympathy for the sworn loyalty shops, NONE. If they go out of business, good. They deserve it. If they'd offer decent prices or treat their customers decently, they might not be in such a pickle. Plenty of good dive shops are struggling and I do feel bad for them, but if I'm going to get abused for buying a piece of gear elsewhere, guess what? I'll solve the problem by buying ALL my gear elsewhere and take all business elsewhere.

Certainly, some jerks will take advantage of the good ones. They'll go in for all the information, waste time, and then go buy it off leisure pro. That sucks. They do it in all walks of life. I know athletic shoe stores have the same problem, as do countless others. But particularly to forward someone buys thousands, or even hundreds, as part of their "BOW" package before someone even knows if they're going to like the sport or what their eventual gear configuration will be, uh uh. If someone shows up with inexpensive but functional, safe gear, good. It shows they have some knowledge and research abilities, and that may make them a better OW student.

If someone is kicked out of an OW class for buying equipment elsewhere, I'd demand a full refund and report the Dive shop owner to the BBB.

I feel strongly about this because I just finished a trip with dive shop 2, and it was the most wonderful experience, and I've heard some of the stuff about trips with 1. It just reinforced how much I love my second LDS and how much they actually deserve my business.

Ishie, there's nothing in your post to disagree with - you're the customer and where you spend your money is your business. I would like to ask if you (and anyone else) can help me understand why you and so many other divers seem to be, in general, so angry at the local dive shops. You've found one shop that you don't like and another that you do, which seems like a pretty good batting average, so how come you're still so close to the boiling point?

These seem like pretty simple vendor/customer relationship decisions, to me. Any time you can find a vendor that better meets your requirements, whatever those requirements are, common sense would dictate a change. That doesn't seem like a big deal. Certainly not worth getting (or staying) upset about.

Like many of us, I've got local dive shops that I don't do business with unless I have to, others that I enjoy visiting as much for the bull sessions as purchasing whatever. What's wrong with me that I just don't care enough about the shops that aren't on my approved vendor list to give them a second thought?

reefraff:
Ishie, there's nothing in your post to disagree with - you're the customer and where you spend your money is your business. I would like to ask if you (and anyone else) can help me understand why you and so many other divers seem to be, in general, so angry at the local dive shops. You've found one shop that you don't like and another that you do, which seems like a pretty good batting average, so how come you're still so close to the boiling point?

Not "at the local dive shops" since many are wonderful, but at the LDS's that do nothing but parasitize the diving industry and run people out of diving. I love seeing new divers, and when their introduction is by someone insisting that you pretty much can't enter the water without buying 4 grand from the jerk giving you a hard time, it's not surprising when some decide it's not for them.

This last trip was so wonderful that it kind of reinforced my anger at the first shop. For one thing, when at the first shop, all I heard was nasty trash talk about the shop I'm with now, and yet when I talked to the owner of the shop I went with about WHY I went with them, I noticed he was VERY careful not to badmouth the other shop at all, but was still very nice and compassionate as he listened. Far more professional.

It also burns me, I suppose, because there is a lot of dissing people for buying internet and for not utilizing the LDS, but it seems like a lot of the LDS's don't deserve to be in business, and not everyone has the option of going to the wonderful shop. When I especially hear that it should be expected for an LDS to demand loyalty, and why should they help you if you ONLY spend the money for the OW course with them, I get the same emotions.

I love the current relationship with my LDS, but in the dive community itself, it seems like when people are researching and getting the best value for their money while buying safe equipment, they are being good consumers and shouldn't be treated as if they're "screwing the LDS" by seeking better treatment and better service.

RonFrank:
There needs to be more detail provided to determine what exactly happened here. If none is forthcomming, then further discussion is pointless.

I would whole heartedly agree with this at this point. Its a dead horse by now.

Back
Top Bottom