Anyone made a tube weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made an ingot weight to fit between my doubles. A piece of pipe cut in half, blocked at the end with molten lead poured in. Next time, I would probably go for something like the dive rite one, make a tube of cordura, fill it with lead shot, easier, safer, and more flexible..

cancun mark:
I made an ingot weight to fit between my doubles. A piece of pipe cut in half, blocked at the end with molten lead poured in. Next time, I would probably go for something like the dive rite one, make a tube of cordura, fill it with lead shot.

I'm still pretty new to this stuff, where would one find lengths of cordura?

Thanks for the reply btw.

My dive buddy and I had the same thought-heck these look simple we can make our own. With lots of lead shot laying around form other projects we decided to give a try. We tried many designs (8-10) and finally just gave up. We resolved to pouring our own channel weights (rigid, molded lead) instead of using material and shot. Since then I have given up on the weight altogether and gone back to the weight belt!! The only real advice I've got is all the material (tried 3 different ones) we were using were too thin. You'll need something fairly rigid to avoid settling at the bottom and making a funky bulge). Oh well it was fun anyway...

Good luck-post a picture of the final product (assuming you go ahead w/ the project).
Christopher

I haven't made them yet but was going to make a couple of these. I'm going to use some tubular nylon webbing, sew it at one end, fill with shot, sew the other end, and finish by placing a grommet at each end. The webbing is the hardest part to find. You can get it in a bunch of sizes at places that sell rock climbing or camping gear. Sometimes, Lowe's or Home Depot will have a small selection too. When you sew it, double stitch it and make the stitches in an X pattern with a box around it.

Heavy D:
I haven't made them yet but was going to make a couple of these. I'm going to use some tubular nylon webbing, sew it at one end, fill with shot, sew the other end, and finish by placing a grommet at each end. The webbing is the hardest part to find. You can get it in a bunch of sizes at places that sell rock climbing or camping gear. Sometimes, Lowe's or Home Depot will have a small selection too. When you sew it, double stitch it and make the stitches in an X pattern with a box around it.

Thanks for the tip. I've been hunting around for materials as well. I can find some decent prices on nylon/cordura online, but I've never seen any that is already shaped as a tube. If you find some let me know.

Also, where's a good place to get cheap lead split-shot or the like?....other than finding it during a dive :)

Heavy D:
The webbing is the hardest part to find. You can get it in a bunch of sizes at places that sell rock climbing or camping gear. Sometimes, Lowe's or Home Depot will have a small selection too.

You might want to try army surplus stores, as well.

Tube: You _have_ to have a local source for bicycle inner tube.
Lead: Local firearms reloading shop. Go for the largest lead you can find. Smaller # = larger chunks. The ban on lead in duck hunting has thinned out the larger sizes in the US.
Assembly: Camel patch kit rubber cement. Place a patch on each side before installing the grommets. Overlap and bond closures with rubber cement.

FT

Easy

1 inch Aluminum pipe, couple old weights. Melt the lead on your stove ro camp stove in a OLD pan. Pour it in the pipe. Block the other end first! Measure and drill holes for your double bolts. Do not mix hot milted lead and liquid anything!

Go diving

FredT:
Tube: You _have_ to have a local source for bicycle inner tube.
Lead: Local firearms reloading shop. Go for the largest lead you can find. Smaller # = larger chunks. The ban on lead in duck hunting has thinned out the larger sizes in the US.
Assembly: Camel patch kit rubber cement. Place a patch on each side before installing the grommets. Overlap and bond closures with rubber cement.

FT

Ahh, good idea Fred - much easier than sewing, and inherently waterproof.

Curt, although it's a good idea, I just don't want to mess with melting lead. With my luck I'll really screw something up.

Thanks for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom