Anyone opened their eyes in a cold water dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamanny:
I have adjusted and do the skill with eyes closed.

I've also kept my eyes closed during this full mask removal routine. I guess I figure stuff is so blurry without the mask, what the use in opening them anyway? So with the eyes closed that may help with the shock. Worth a try right?

well, that does put it into perspective. there can be COLDER water... now, i don't like cold, but i chose to schedule a dive trip to Belize in 2 weeks and wasn't yet certified so my choices became limited.
i think i can
i think i can
i think i can
LOL

what would one do ice diving for????? sounds amazing and kinda insane LOL. remember, i'm a cold chicken! but, i'm really curious about it . does it slow down your body responses a lot?

Scuba Jerm:
So with the eyes closed that may help with the shock. Worth a try right?

Just to give a different perspective my solution was the exact opposite. I wear contacts so everyone told me "It's OK, just keep your eyes closed." When i tried and didn't like the feeling, i figured out that closing my eyes made me feel not in control of the situation creating some anxiety. I squint and it works much better for me.

that's how i feel. being cold is bad enough, see there i go again :), i think adding my sense of sight back into the equation would calm me down. i did fine in the pool. i just got all squirrely in the colder water.

NCSCUBADOOBA:
what would one do ice diving for????? sounds amazing and kinda insane LOL. remember, i'm a cold chicken! but, i'm really curious about it . does it slow down your body responses a lot?

It's fun! Besides it gives you a perspective of what diving can be all about. My places of dreams for diving is... Spitzbergen! :D
-And I'm going to dive there... One day...

My own little ice diving video: Ice Ice Baby! (30 mb)​

NCSCUBADOOBA:
By the way... what are you guys wearing on your cold dives?
Angela
I recently dove in 52 degree water. I wore a 7mm + a .5mmneoprene underneath + gloves (5mm) and a hood (6mm). As long as I was moving, I was fine. But if I had to stop for my buddy or for the class I was interpreting for so they could do their OW checkout skills, I would begin to freeze.

Just make sure you warm up well in between dives or you may not be able to complete all your dives. On a 3-dive day, I had to abort my 3rd dive as I couldn't warm up between the 2nd and 3rd dives and was shivering as I put back on my wetsuit as I was prepping for the 3rd dive...it wasn't worth hypothermia.

Angela
Jodi has a very good point, 3 dives in cold water, you are going to need something to warm you up between dives.
I am sure someone more tech than me could tell you how many calories you are going to burn to keep warm, from experience I just know it is a lot.
Eat like an athelete the night before your dive day.
Eat porridge or the equivalent for breakfast.
Warm soup, chocolate and bananas to keep you going during the day.

Personally I would not take my wetsuit off between dives, only the gloves and hood. I would take a balaclava or warm woolly hat and warm gloves to put on between dives.
Putting on a cold, and damp, wetsuit is on of the more unpleasant things in life. :icon10: Also the wetsuit stops evaporation from your skin keeping you that bit warmer.
Walk about to keep warm and the blood flowing through your feet, cold feet would be a nightmare to warm up.

If you get to cold. Stop, you can always get a referral to your dive destination in Belize and do your last dive there. It might cost a few dollars but it is better than having hypothermia 30ft down.

It will be worth it in the long run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom