Anyone read Shadow Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chatterton's a fascinating guy and the book gave me a better understanding of just how good he (and the hard core NE wreck divers) really are. Imagine getting to the point where you an 'feel' things with your knees and elbows. I didn't know anything about the wreck diving group that Richie Kohler was a part of ... can't remember the name, but the same mentality as the fat Italian traders in "Liar's poker." It was interesting to read how the account of the deaths of the Rouses was different from "The Last Dive." My bet is that this one is more accurate.

The endings to the stories of the hard-core divers always seem to end up the same way: They either end up dead or divorced. Sad.

My wife bought me a copy a few days ago and I have just started getting into it. It's very difficult to put down. As a brand new diver I find this story very enlightening.

I just read a passage about wreck divers losing track of how to get out of the wreck. When I picture myself in such a situation, I get these chills up and down my spine. I can almost feel the sheer terror.

And I wonder about this. When the realization sets in that a diver is lost and can't find the way out and that there is no hope, the terror and fear must be incredible.

But does there come a time when he/she realize their fate is sealed that they become resigned to that fate and find peace right before it all ends? I would hope.

MyDiveLog:
The endings to the stories of the hard-core divers always seem to end up the same way: They either end up dead or divorced. Sad.

That's why one should view diving as a hobby and not as a way of life.

PeaceDog:
If any of you did, Robert Kurson will be doing a talk and signing at Porter Square Books tonight in Cambridge. It would be great to meet some fellow NELD folk.

I've read all the major books out there regarding related topics and I have to say that far and away, Shadow Divers is easily the best diving book I've ever read. Although the story itself is just asking to written about anyway, Robert Kurson had me turning pages furiously. It's meticulously researched and very well-written, and I'd recommend all of you pick up a copy and digest it before the movie comes out via Fox Pictures.

If anyone's going, let me know.

i know its a little off topic, but other good diving books ive read are

the last dive
deep descent
fatal depths
neutral buoyancy
the helldiver's rodeo- reading this one now its about spearfishing in the oil rigs off louisiana in the gulf

Read 'em all and agree.

The only one I'd add is a little known book entitled "More than nine lives." It's the life story of a guy named Al Hansen, who was one of the first commercial divers in California. He and his wife Norma did the "presentations" while on commercial gear to the people @ Catalina doing the glass bottom boat tour.

He died a few years back, and his wife Norma sells the book at the LB scuba show. If you ever get the chance, you really gotta read it. He tells first-hand accounts of being trapped by a 20' octopus while harvesting aballone, of almost dying several times, of rogue waves, of a guy dying while showing off an 'octopus necktie' on board (the octopus bit him and injected poison into his jugular), and stories and pictures of boats being absolutely wrecked (with people dying) while anchored in Avalon harbor. It's a thick book and worth a read!

Chebby:
That's why one should view diving as a hobby and not as a way of life.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

-- Dave Barry

I may be the only one here who did not like "Shadow Divers". In fact, I gave up about halfway through -- and felt much the same about "The Last Dive" and "Lousitania Controversies" by Gary Gentile. The reason I disliked these books is simple -- there is tremendous rivalry between some divers (and some dive charter captains) involved, and once the author takes someone's side, I can not stand the obvious bias. OTOH, I really like "Deep Descent" -- exactly because Kevin McMurray does not take sides.

mello-yellow:
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

-- Dave Barry

I may be the only one here who did not like "Shadow Divers". In fact, I gave up about halfway through -- and felt much the same about "The Last Dive" and "Lousitania Controversies" by Gary Gentile. The reason I disliked these books is simple -- there is tremendous rivalry between some divers (and some dive charter captains) involved, and once the author takes someone's side, I can not stand the obvious bias. OTOH, I really like "Deep Descent" -- exactly because Kevin McMurray does not take sides.

I am half way through the book and haven't picked up on the bias yet. All literature takes a point of view and dives books are hard pressed to be an exception. Think about what the story would sound like coming from a German Naval Officer, same facts but a whole new slant. I find him pretty fair; Seeker Captain is described as an alcoholic has been and Wahoo Captain as a Sober wanna be. Both of those life styles appeal to some sort of folk. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have read Shadow Divers, Deep Decent and Last Dive. Interesting perspectives on the same topic. I enjoyed all three.

I didn't enjoy helldivers rodeo. A bit over the top for me :)

I think you're really way off on the bias thing. In fact, I made it a point of telling Kurson the other night at his book signing that I really appreciated his neutrality, particularly with relation to the last days of the Rouses' lives. Kurson thinks all tech divers are idiots; he doesn't discriminate, and I think he gave both Chatterton and Kohler a real hard time in that book. WIth regard to choices they made in their personal lives and decisions they made regarding the U-869, I think he was more than fair. To say he may have wrote it in "favor" of them is a bit off, IMO.

But hey - that's just me. I did like McMurray's book a lot.

FYI - I just bought a signed copy of this for my husband via telephone - Porter Square Books was very excited that I had read about the signing online. Thanks again for posting about this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom