Anyone see this product before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I came across this product for storing your keys while you are away from your vehicle. I've seen pricing of about $70. Anyone own/use one previously?

THANKS...

Yeah, shoe laces work great as long as you don't have one of "those" keys you can't take underwater or if you lose it, costs $200 to replace...:D

Drewski:
I came across this product for storing your keys while you are away from your vehicle. I've seen pricing of about $70. Anyone own/use one previously?

THANKS...

Seems like a neat idea... but for $70 bucks, *ouch*.

Maybe if they sold them for $15 to $20, it'd be worth getting, but not $70

Drewski:
Yeah, shoe laces work great as long as you don't have one of "those" keys you can't take underwater or if you lose it, costs $200 to replace...:D

There is a simple solution for the keys you can't take underwater. Make a copy of it and take the copy. cost $1 buck at most key copy places.

The reason you can't take it underwater is because of the computer chip in it that is an "ID" for cranking the car (for security purposes). however, this typically doesn't affect the door locks. So you can use a copy on the door lock. Just hide your "cranking keys" under the seat and take the copy with you.

I'm not putting a trailer hitch on my Camry.

mike_s:
There is a simple solution for the keys you can't take underwater. Make a copy of it and take the copy. cost $1 buck at most key copy places.

BINGO! It won't run the car, but it will open the door.

Drewski:

THANKS...
I use this product to leave my keys at the car: http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/cgi-bin/class_search.pl?layer=layer1&displaynav=&parent_id=&sub_cat_id=B831&template=app.
Or, somtimes if I want to take my keys with me, I use one of these and put it in my BC pocket. This item is waterproof to 300ft: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d599/IK3001.html?Hit=1.
I've seen ads for the product you mention, and am still thinking about getting one. But both of the products that I mentioned above are about $20.

In the old days, when car keys were just a flat piece of metal, you could just put your key on a string around your neck.

As the others mentioned, just get a copy made. Even if it is a computer chip copy (if you can get any other made) just mark one key as your underwater key. Even if you ruin the chip, you can still open the door with it.

Just keep some fresh water handy to rinse the key off if you've been salt water diving. I wouldn't be worried about the salt deposits in the lock, but the salt transfer to the ignition might mess with some stuff.

If you do have fresh water to rinse the key, it tends to help to leave it outside the locked vehicle.

I know a guy that used to just put his keys on top of one of his tires in the wheel well...once his "friends" found out about it...his car got moved quite frequently until he realized he wasn't going nuts and that we figured out his trick....

That's a lot of $$ to hide a key...I like the make a "water copy" and stow it in the BC idea...I have a pocket JUST for that!

Walter:
BINGO! It won't run the car, but it will open the door.
My alarm system won't let me open the car with a plain metal copy. I thought of your idea, but that would mean leaving the car with the alarm turned off and the electronic key hidden somewhere inside the car where thieves can find it and use it to drive off in your car.

If you think this is just theoretical, I had a Ford Expedition stolen. It had keyless entry, so I was relying on leaving my key hidden inside the car and using the keyless entry to get into the car after diving. Unfortunately, thieves did find my key and drove off in my car.

My current car has an electronic key, also. I either hide the key in a device similar to what car dealers/realestate agents use or take them with me in an Ikelite case (see my other post.) But to protect my wallet and other valuables I also have a handgun case in my car that is locked to the front seat with a cable lock. I put my wallet and any other small valuables in in the handgun safe, then lock the car and put the keys in the ikelite case and slip it in my BC pocket.

Back
Top Bottom