Anyone use a Beanie instead of a hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlmuke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone used a beanie instead of a hood as I really hate hoods and was looking around and saw some beanies ranging from 1mm to 6/7mm, do they work well or not used for diving. pros cons, thanks.

They's a nice addition in warm water but no substiture for a good hood or hooded vest in cold water.

Pete

Since you hate hoods, you might find the ones made of fleece (e.g. Polartec) to be less of an issue. Fleece is a more forgiving fit.
I always wear a fleece cap in warm water and find I'm less tired at the end of the day. Something about heat equaling energy.
In colder water I've often worn a fleece cap covered by a fleece hood.
They even make hooded vests out of fleece - I use them, too.

I love my beanie but rarely dive waters colder than mid 70's.

I too hate hoods. For my cold water diving, I use a beanie. They are fairly inexpensive, give one a try. Our water ranges from 70s at the top to the 40s below the second thermocline.

I use one as soon as the water drops below 82. If it drops below 80, I'm afraid I must use a drysuit.

Where I am going diving soon is 75° surface and varies between 65°-60° what would most consider that? warm or cold??? LOL I posted this with out refreshing first it sound like its cold.

Last edited:
More people use beanies for sun protection than for warmth in the Pacific. They are cooler than hoods in the heat and save people having to slather sunblock on hair challenged heads

By the same token, many people here use hooded vests, or lycra hoods sewn into rash guards as a base layer, more for the back of the neck sun protection than for warmth.

In a lot of open ocean dives in Hawaii, worrying about drifting stinging things during hangs is an issue, so having a hood available to pull up is a pretty useful thing fort that, too.

It's amazing how different the same objects are used in different areas. In Micronesia (Chuuk/Truk, Palau, Yap, etc), full sleeved rash guards are standard wear for sun protection, because very few people have to worry about getting cold. In Hawaii, the same rash guard with a sewn in hood is there to make pulling on a suit easier, and as sting protection.

65 degrees is far too cold for diving. 65 is far to cold for an air temperature. How can you stand walking around when it is 65 degrees? Don't your feet and hands hurt from the cold?

LOL you should try it when its minus zero out without windchill !!!

I have a beanie, 75deg it is good to have. Anything more than that and it is too much for me. That is just me. I know plenty of people that wear them on every dive even in 82+ water. It's up to you and your cold tolerance.

@Beano Remember -40C=-40F. That is cold. 65 is T-shirt and shorts weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom