Anyone use a Beanie instead of a hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I look at full hoods as a necessary evil. I hate them, but need them for deep diving in temperate waters. I will wear a beanie when cave diving or the water is warmer than 75 degrees. If nothing else, it protects my ears from aggressive KY Piranha (aka... bluegills:D).

I use both depending on the temperature. I use a beanie in the tropics and for shallower dives here in Minnesota, sun and thermal protection. I am thermal protection disadvanteged on the top of my head, down to about 60 degrees. Most of my dive here get into the low to mid 40's at depth so a hood is almost a requirement and dry suit is really nice also.

I tried using a beanie for both warmth and sun protection, but I found some drawbacks. First, it tends not to stay put on my head. I have since switched to a Scuba Do Rag, but I find it too tends to slip off. Another drawback of the neoprene beanie is that unless you are meticulous about storing it, it can develop permanent creases/folds that make it look even dorkier on your head than it did when it was new.

71 degrees last week at 105' in the St. Lawrence.... neoprene "do-rag" (better "cool factor" than a beanie) . The week before it was 41 in Tobermory below 50'.... full hood (and a dry suit)!

Has anyone used a beanie instead of a hood as I really hate hoods and was looking around and saw some beanies ranging from 1mm to 6/7mm, do they work well or not used for diving. pros cons, thanks.
What temps do you dive in? I may use a beanie in warm water, down to about 74, maybe even 70. But, a hood is essential for less,and especially for deeper dives. Beanies are typically thin, which means they will compress to nothing as you dive deeper than 80 feet. They don't mix with deeper diving in cooler water.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 09:55 AM ----------

I tried using a beanie for both warmth and sun protection, but I found some drawbacks. First, it tends not to stay put on my head. I have since switched to a Scuba Do Rag, but I find it too tends to slip off. Another drawback of the neoprene beanie is that unless you are meticulous about storing it, it can develop permanent creases/folds that make it look even dorkier on your head than it did when it was new.
Love those do-rags! I'll have to get one of those for our next tropical trip!

More people use beanies for sun protection than for warmth in the Pacific. They are cooler than hoods in the heat and save people having to slather sunblock on hair challenged heads

That's exactly the reason I wear a beanie in warm water!

@Tracy, we are up by Detroit, MI, we recently discovered that there are two quarries South of us in OH that seem to be pretty popular, my wife is still fairly new to diving she got spoiled on her first dozen or so dives when we went on our honey moon in the tropics, but from what their website says the surface is 75° and at depth is 65°-60° if that helps.

I've lost a beanie and my second one also kept coming off. I've gone to the neoprene do-rag. mine has some kind of bumps on the forehead edge thst helps keep it in place. also poked a couple of small holes in the piece thst lays over the top of my head. have had no further problems with it floating up a bit.

There are beanies and there are beanies. I've never lost one, but I use the ones with chin straps. There are also those without straps. I don't use them because they are a loss risk (and so is a do-rag).

Beanies are filled with awesome sauce. I have two. The ones with the *double* velcro strap are gnarly. Body Glove makes great ones.
Body Glove | Shop Categories

Back
Top Bottom