Anyone use the Halcyon Surf Shuttle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm actually considering the Surf Shuttle as well (yes U Pug, I want to own a complete set of Halcyon gear!!! :p ) but their 6' SMB seems to offer more lift (56# I think) and it's also cheaper, and is CC as well... this may be a better option. Plus, it has that really cool SOLAS relfective tape across the top!!! So that NAVY boats can find you on their radar and think you're an enemy destroyer! :lol:

If I were diving 50 miles in the middle of the North Atlantic I would like to have the surf shuttle with me, along with a cased satelite cell phone. Otherwise the 50# orange lift bag is fine.

A 6 foot SMB that gives 52 pounds of lift, or a 4 foot Surf Shuttle that gives 30 pounds of life? They say it fits well in the MC pack... keep in mind that this isn't the giant Life Raft that gives 300 pounds of lift.

I was wondering abotu how it inflates
Looks to be a direct connection to your inflator hose. I have never inflated by this mechanism from underwater. I was wondering how it would work if someone were to use this as theri SMB, an dinflated from udnerwater...Would you have to disconnect your inflator hose and hook that up and squirt? I fear taht might be a task while holding your spool or reel at the same time...

But admittedly, maybe I don't fully understand the inflation method...

JAG

jagfish:
I was wondering abotu how it inflates
Looks to be a direct connection to your inflator hose. I have never inflated by this mechanism from underwater. I was wondering how it would work if someone were to use this as theri SMB, an dinflated from udnerwater...Would you have to disconnect your inflator hose and hook that up and squirt? I fear taht might be a task while holding your spool or reel at the same time...

But admittedly, maybe I don't fully understand the inflation method...

JAG
I looked it up on the Halcyon website. It connects to a low pressure hose, but doesn't lock onto the hose. It's kind of like a gas station air hose that fills the tire without clamping onto it.

Yeah
And from the picture, still looks like that filing takes two hands. If you have to deply it from underwater, I fear that I might not have enough hands to do that safely, while keeping the spool or reel secure and away from me.

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom