Anything and everything about Palau!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all!!

I've heard so much about Palau.Is it at Palawan Island, Philippines? I'm planning to go there end of this year, when is the best time to go?

*just a little clown fish*

anemone:
Hi all!!

I've heard so much about Palau.Is it at Palawan Island, Philippines? I'm planning to go there end of this year, when is the best time to go?

*just a little clown fish*

The Republic of Palau, located at E 134, N 07, 30', is in the most western group of islands in Micronesia and the Pacific Ocean.

About a time to visit, this is what I got of the FishNFins website:
Palau lays 400 miles north of the equator and is completely out of typhoon range. The weather is almost the same year round. Many years ago we had experienced the phenomenon of DRY and WET season, but due to global weather changes it no longer applies. The reefs around Palau and inside the lagoon allow us to dive and enjoy the water all year round.

Greetz,

Pauline.

billseamon:
Just got back from Palau and Yap. Went with seven friends. Had a great time, saw allot of mantas in YAP.

We're considering a trip to Palau. What shape is the hard coral in there? Has it begun to recover from the El Nino of 2000?

Thanks.

Ralph

From what I've read sofar, only the divesite "German Channel" is still in bad shape, the rest recovered nicely.

Dove Palau in March 2003. German Channel was ok but not as spectacular as the other sites, Blue Corner or Ngemelis Wall. The viz was hazy, only about 25 ft. I've heard that Ulong channel is also a great dive. Palau is about 800 miles southwest of Guam.

Yap was hit by a typhoon on Thursday April 8. Winds exceeded 115 mph. I have read that there has been extensive damage to the island. Palau is about 300 miles southeast of Yap so I doubt there was any damage there.

Palau Dive Sites:

Blue Corner - This is one of the best spots in the world. Sharks swimming six feet in fornt of you. A Nepoleon Wrasse behind you, Pyramid Butterfly fish and a school of chevron Barracuda 20 feet high and 15 feet around. This ignore all the "regular" tropical fish in the area, Triggerfish, parrott fish, octopus, Anenome Fish and more.

Ngemelis Wall - Turtles, Sharks, Huge Seafans and colorful corals a great dive.

German Channel - A cleaning station wiht alot of Giant Clams, and a large variety of coral.

These are the sites i dove there.

enjoy the trip.

Thanks for the info!
Blue Corner really sounds like a divesite to not only do once...
I have never dived with sharks at all, so I'm really looking forward to that!
I'll try to get some more info about Ngemelis Wall, didn't know about that one yet.

You're right about doing Blue Corner more than once. On my first dive there I thought the sharks were fantastic. When we got back to the boat a couple of people were discussing the Napoleon Wrass. I had no clue what they were talking about. I was so busy watching the sharks in five to eight feet in front of me, I never saw the two to three foot tall wrass six to eight feet behind me!

Check out Ulong Channel as well.

The same thing happened to me on the Maldives! I was snorkeling that time, and it was the first time that I had a U/W camera in my hands. I was clicking away like a madman, totally obsessed with every little thing.

Didn't even notice some others trying to wave at me to look behind me. Later I heard a giant Napoleon had been swimming along with me for quite some minutes... :banghead:

Still haven't seen one to this date.
So in Palau, I'll definitely keep my eyes open....

Here are pictures of the wrasse at Blue Corner that a friend of mine took. That is not me holding the Wrasse.

Nice Pictures!! Now I really want to see one myself!!

But ehm...who ever it is in the picture: doesn't holding a Wrass damage the protective layer on their skin? :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom