AOW and Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is an honest question not a Troll. Please keep the replies honest as well.

I have a buddy that is considering doing AOW. (Probably PADI) . He dives a long hose and bungeed backup (He listens to me!).

Is that configuration OK for AOW? Will agencies/instructors get upset about it?

Thanks

ianr33:
This is an honest question not a Troll. Please keep the replies honest as well.

I have a buddy that is considering doing AOW. (Probably PADI) . He dives a long hose and bungeed backup (He listens to me!).

Is that configuration OK for AOW? Will agencies/instructors get upset about it?

Thanks
Why would they? There's no air share requirements in AOW, it's only diving.

the only thing I can think of is that long hoses and snorkels dont really mix - if there is a requirement to have a snorkel in the class that could be the only issue.....or if they let you store the snorkel in you pocket......if there is no such requirement in the class being taken then he should be good to go.

I didn't use a snorkel in my AOW class which I took in a Zeagle Brigade. The instructor wore a jacket and nattered on about the superiority of jacket BCs. I couldn't imagine what he would have said about a long hose. You never know.

I took PADI Rescue in a BP/W/long hose -- I stowed the snorkel like you stow a backup light. That was acceptable.

Should be no problem using the long hose with AOW. I teach with a long hose. Standards say I have to have a snorkel on me. But they don't say it has to be on my mask. I got one of those cheapo ones that ball up and keep it in my dry suit pocket.

I also teach with a long hose and bungied back up. I explain the configuration to my students and show them how I would deploy the long hose. The snorkel, which for some reason is required during training dives, gets stowed.

My AOW instructor made a couple of comments about "buying advanced gear too soon", but he didn't bother me beyond that. I don't know if he was referring to the dry suit or the Hog rig. I had a folding snorkel in my pocket in case he asked, but he didn't.

Oh, my LDS kept telling me I was now a technical diver because I had switched to a "technical configuration." All you can do is smile and shrug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom