AOW and Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I didn't use a snorkel in my AOW class which I took in a Zeagle Brigade. The instructor wore a jacket and nattered on about the superiority of jacket BCs. I couldn't imagine what he would have said about a long hose. You never know.

He probably didn't have one:)

My AOW class had 3 students, 2 DM's and 1 instructor. Our of 6 divers there were 5 in BP/W and 4 of those had a long hose and bungied secondary configuration.

:)

I took my AOW course in a Zeagle Ranger, and in retrospect I wish I would have switched to the BP/W by then. Several of my instructors were diving longhose/plates, and honesly I could never go back to anything else.

Diving a jacket is like sitting in a plaid couch from your college days -- sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy (and probably kind of envelops you too), but some day you're gonna wanna trade it in for something that doesn't make you feel kinda... well... dirty and ashamed for using it. (for all you internet haters -- this is a joke, chill)

A good friend of mine did his AOW with a long hose and BPW and can light. The instructor - a member of this board and myself were all outfitted identically to him.

He then took a rescue class back at home with another agency and was made fun of by the instructor who had 3000 dives. Same instructor also thought he could teach my friend something about medicine even though my friend had been a paramedic before becoming a doctor.

It's ultimately up to your instructor on whether you will be accepted with your choice of gear or laughed at. Pick an instructor that suits your needs.

Rafael, given that you are already using the configuration, and that you are doing the kind of practices you mention in your post, why don't you just skip AOW and do DIR-F? The only things I can think of that you could learn in AOW and not in Fundies would be related to navigation. Everything else would be covered, and more, in GUE's class.

TSandM: Are you getting kickbacks for all the DIR-F referrals??

:wink:

Bjorn

I remember a thread a while back about skipping AOW and doing DIR-F right away... aren't there still boats that won't let you dive certain sites if you are not AOW?

edit: spelling

Yea, the Oriskany and the Spiegel Grove seem to be this way. I am skipping AOW and have done Adv. Nitrox instead. If they question my card, I'll get another boat.

To be fair, after diving the Oriskany, it SHOULD be done by AOW divers at a minimum. Current can be strong, its a HUGE boat, and it's deep. I wouldn't want to see a green, newbie diver out there on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom