AOW and Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pre req is basic nitrox. Most tech programs don't require AOW. They see if for what it is. It's diving experience that counts.

Boy as I read all these stories about people with their instructors on their OW and AOW dives it just makes me glad I have such a cool group of people at my LDS. If I'm comfortable in my setup as far as their concerned all is golden.

^
Yeah, my LDS owner/shopguy is awesome. He always gives you all the pros and cons of everything. I havent really had an experience with him being too biased towards any type of gear. He opened the shop because there are a whole lot of divers where I am, but no dive shop... He also runs classes out of his shop. Pretty cool guy.

TSandM:
Rafael, given that you are already using the configuration, and that you are doing the kind of practices you mention in your post, why don't you just skip AOW and do DIR-F? The only things I can think of that you could learn in AOW and not in Fundies would be related to navigation. Everything else would be covered, and more, in GUE's class.

Sorry, I've been trying to reply to this for the last couple of days but it won't save my comment!

It didn't occur to me to look for DIR training locally, I'll consider that. As far as skipping over classes, I don't mind climbing the ladder one rung at a time. I'm in no hurry to go dive a 200' deep wreck; there's plenty for me to see in the first 100'. AOW, Rescue and some of the Naturalist/Photography courses are mainly what I'm interested in doing. Locally, Aquarena Springs has a couple of courses that I think would be fun.

Thanks again for all the tips! I'll be sure and get approval for my equipment before I register for a course.

I don't think you'll find a fundies class locally. Whether it's worth the travel only you can answer. Sure was worth it for me.

PerroneFord:
I don't think you'll find a fundies class locally. Whether it's worth the travel only you can answer. Sure was worth it for me.

I believe that Austin Aqua Sports has run Fundamentals in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom