AOW before Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gue Rec3 is also same as Divemaster. So every divemaster is a gue rec3 diver :D LOL
GUE Rec3 teaches also Trimix and light deco. I don't think every 3* diver is Trimix trained :confused: This exactly shows what nonsense comparing these ratings is. You will have to see what the specific training standards and limitations are before you can tell what kind of limits are apropriate.

That’s the problem with blanket statements. In the U.K.; BSAC, SSAC and the SSA all have dive grade depth limits. For example, a BSAC Sports Diver is limited to 20m during training, but once qualified can increase their depth limit to 35m in 5m increments with an instructor.

Our insurance is very clear about diving beyond certification depths.

The difference is that BSAC is clear about this, while some other agencies’ statements seem to confuse newer divers—my guess intentionally. Witness how often these threads come up in which people confuse limits the agencies impose for training purposes with what might be reasonable for an individual diver in a given circumstance.

Everything I have heard about BSAC just seems so sensible.

AJ:
GUE Rec3 teaches also Trimix and light deco. I don't think every 3* diver is Trimix trained :confused: This exactly shows what nonsense comparing these ratings is. You will have to see what the specific training standards and limitations are before you can tell what kind of limits are apropriate.

Gue rec 3 is a strange course overall.

AJ:
I don't get it either but it's there :thumb: Btw imo GUE seems to make more strange choices lately with their new curriculum.

yeah, they do make some strange choices lately.

I would have liked to do the sidemount course, but entry level is cave 2. While i do understand why the entry level is cave 2, i don't fully agree with them.

In my country CMAS*** is an NDL course too. It is usually quoted to have 40 m max depth.
I was wondering if it includes "real" staged decompression training somewhere. France maybe?

It really depends on the country. In Germany, VDST shows decompression tables and gas planning already in DTSA* (first card, like OWD). So you have to calculate a gas plan for staged deco already to pass the OWD class, but due to the limitation depth to guided dives and 20m, DTSA* means NDL diving.
From DTSA** the mantra is that you should plan every dive anyway and not make an artificial distinction between NDL and lite deco. A few minutes of decompression according to tables or computer are common. So with regards to gas planning and staged decompression, DTSA** is different to say PADI RD.
Since 2018, CMAS** is sufficient prerequisite for the Nitrox** (CMAS Advanced Nitrox) course about decompression with one Nitrox deco gas stage. This is still considered recreational sports diving. (Until 2017, advanced Nitrox was in the Tec curriculum and required DTSA***).
You need DTSA*** and DTSA Tec Basic as prerequisites for Trimix* (normoxic).

i h8 rec3 so much.

I don't know a lot of rec 3 divers.

Rec 3 is a nice course for exceeding the max depth and deco limits. Max bottom time is 15 minutes on 39 meter (128 feet), way to short. You will have so much gas left.

And 32% as deco gas..... Ofcourse if you stick to the limits of rec3 (impossible :p) it's only 1 or 2 minutes deco extra. But i don't see the reason why not to pick 50%. It's not like its easy to kill yourself with 50% on these depths.

Witness how often these threads come up in which people confuse limits the agencies impose for training purposes with what might be reasonable for an individual diver in a given circumstance.

Good point. And while some divers might think it is confusing, it forces you to think for yourself instead of blindly following rules and/or hiding behind these rules. You get training, down to a specific depth. The dives you do afterwards, are your responsibility.

From WRSTC standards for OW diver:
"Open water certification qualifies a certified diver to procure air, equipment, and other services and engage in recreational open water diving without supervision. It is the intent of this standard that certified open water divers shall have received training in the fundamentals of
recreational diving from an instructor (see definition). A certified open water diver is qualified to apply the knowledge and skills outlined in this standard to plan, conduct, and log open-water, no-required decompression dives when properly equipped, and accompanied by another certified diver. "

The standards give limits to training depth but not to a certified diver. The training is for NDL buddy diving, NDL diving can be done to 190' although the agreed recreational limit has been 130' for many decades.

I believe the 60' limit is used to give a new diver a limit so that larger, longer, discussion of the whys and how's of extending ones limits can be skipped. Teaching good judgement takes time, and most OW training is about getting a diver trained quickly. The dive ops that require a diver to use the training limit is more about their clientele and insurance carrier than law.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom