AOW before Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, 130 ft is 39.6 m. and you are mistaken that PADI AOW allows this limit. PADI AOW is 30 m, AOW + Deep specialty allows 40 m. Check PADI books :wink:

its a guideline, not a rule. individual diver skill and experience determine whether they can handle a certain dive, not the card they hold.

No, 130 ft is 39.6 m. and you are mistaken that PADI AOW allows this limit. PADI AOW is 30 m, AOW + Deep specialty allows 40 m. Check PADI books :wink:

Wow so with Padi Deep Diver certification you can dive do recreational limits of 130 ft depth. I wonder if thats just more training revenue for Padi? Although more experience diving at depth with an instructor in itself is always helpful for us newer divers. I have heard from many in the past that padi AOW limit was 130. A lot of people are mistakenly thinking this.

Wow so with Padi Deep Diver certification you can dive do recreational limits of 130 ft depth. I wonder if thats just more training revenue for Padi? Although more experience diving at depth with an instructor in itself is always helpful for us newer divers. I have heard from many in the past that padi AOW limit was 130. A lot of people are mistakenly thinking this.

As compared to what agency? NAUI is the only agency I can find listed on here Equivalent Diving Qualifications: BSAC, PADI, CMAS, NAUI, etc - SCUBA Travel that does 40m for advanced. Everyone else seems to require deep or further certs beyond advanced.

BSAC has 50m for Dive Leader, Advanced Diver is the next grade up.

Ah yes, but BSAC Advanced Diver isn't an equivalent course/level to PADI AOW other than in using the term "advanced", no? I suppose I should clarify that I was comparing the course that follows open water.

There is a difference between training dives and fun dives. Every agency prescribes a maximum depth for a certain training dive.

The generally accepted sports diving limit, or recreational limit, is 130ft/40m.
Open Water course dives are limited to 60ft/18m, AOW course dives are limited to 30m, Deep specialty course dives are limited to max 40m.
Even technical course dives have a maximum depth limit. E.g. you might be trimix certified, when you do intro-to-cave your depth limit is defined by the course standards.

How deep somebody dives during a fun dive, is his/her own choice, and responsibility. As long as this person remembers how deep he/she was trained for. Diving to 40m depth is just as easy as diving into a cave. Getting back is when the challenges come into play.

PADI does not prohibit you to go a few feet deeper than you were trained for, nor does any other agency. That's part of gaining experience.

PADI does not prohibit you to go a few feet deeper than you were trained for, nor does any other agency. That's part of gaining experience.
That’s the problem with blanket statements. In the U.K.; BSAC, SSAC and the SSA all have dive grade depth limits. For example, a BSAC Sports Diver is limited to 20m during training, but once qualified can increase their depth limit to 35m in 5m increments with an instructor.

Our insurance is very clear about diving beyond certification depths.

its a guideline, not a rule. individual diver skill and experience determine whether they can handle a certain dive, not the card they hold.

Let me disagree. If you have good driving skills can you exceed speed limits? Answer is no. The same is here. There are prescribed limits in different certifications. If you exceed these limits, means that you breached your training level and DAN or other insurance company might refuse to pay your medical bills. Also, divemaster might get in trouble in case something happens to you if he leads dive to deeper levels than your certified dept.

Of course, nobody stops you diving even up to 100 m depth without any certifications :) PADI is not police and everybody is responsible for own actions. However, usually there are consequences.

It is very clear that PADI AOW certifies to dive you up to 30 m. depth, Deep specialty - up to 40 m. depth. If you go to reputable liveaboards and will be sites deeper than 30 m. you will not be allowed to dive without Deep certification. Of course, there are liveaboard who even do not ask your card..... however, I would never dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom