AOW Dilemma. Need some input, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI AOW is 5 dives with no real classroom work.
NAUI AOW involves more classroom time and more dives (at least at the school near me)

If it were me to do over again, I'd go with NAUI not because of any owner comments, but to (A) try another agency and store and (B) to get more dives in.

NAUI costs me a bit more, but I got so little out of my PADI AOW, I wouldn't hesitate.

On the flip side, I got a great deal out of the PADI Rescue course . . .

The Mighty Thor:
I pick #3, but without the AOW course part.

The question for me is not so much which agency is certifying the course or which LDS, but which instructor will be teaching it. You won't be in the water with the owner or Mr. PADI, but the actual instructor. If you liked your OW instructor, I say go with him, wherever he is.

I agree. In the years I've seen instructors that will impart as much knowledge as you can soak up, and I've seen a few that are definitely in it for a few dollars and a free trip.

And remember, different agencies have different goals for their "Advance" course. PADI's focus is to round out the new diver with different experiences under an instructor's care. Some other agencies are looking at a more in-depth advancement of skills.

Look at them all, but remember that a bad instructor makes any course suck and a good instructor will make you a better diver.

Best of luck!

Steve

some shop owners dont want to teach OW anymore because they have younger instructors who will do it and gives them a chance to get better at it. maybe the owner likes to focus on speciality courses now. it is your choice on weather or not to use that shop. as for the different cert agency it is no problem at all. just show them your OW card and you can sign up for the AOW class.

To me the instructor is all important. If you really liked the instructor there then I would continue. I would however let them know how I felt about the comments made. Comments like that should never be made in front of students and nothing derogatory should be said to the instructor in front of a class. I am sure if you express your concern you may find the person embarrassed to have made such an error in discretion.
A good instructor is worth their weight in gold. Believe me they are not all good! Having dealt with the horrible and mediocre I was thrilled to find the exceptional and have stuck with them ever since.

David, I believe you are right. This particular owner teaches specialty classes. And you all are right--it is the quality of instructor that counts. I am looking really looking forward to improving my skills, especially navigation, and hoping AOW can help me improve (and I know, need LOTS of practice.)
Thanks to all.

The owner is a dinosaur! Back in the old days they rode horses weres his? If you like your Instructor stay with him but tell him want you feel and what you heard. It's bad when an owner is a idiot for making such remarks. He wants to inflate his ego, thats what you heard.

Don't fault your instructor if you liked him. You can always buy equipment somewhere else!

Go with the good instructor. Who cares what the shop owner says, he's not teaching you. I also don't get the "swallowing your pride" statement. The owner wasn't saying anything about you, he was cracking on PADI, everybody's favorite whipping boy these days.

I guess that my take on this today is: how many of us ever say a dumb thing from time to time? Maybe the owner was having a bad day, or simply stated something poorly.

I'd chat with him about it or just keep using the instructor that you enjoy. Maybe taking the good and leaving the rest can be a good philosophy for dealing with dive shops.

Truthfully, I have not read all the way through this thread so some of this may have been covered but here are my thoughts on sticking with the same instructor vs. moving to a different shop.

Clearly, as has been pointed out on his board countles times, it's all about the instructor. Incidentally, I dispute the point about the standards slipping, that is really something of a red herring. Old timers always think the new whippersnappers are doing it all wrong. The fact is, equipment has changed and the industry has changed, so the training standards had to change. I could go on and on about that, but more specifically to your point --there were old instructors who sucked and there are current instructors who suck --and there are instructors in both groups that are great.

So, what to do? When I was learning to fly airplanes, I stuck with the same instructor for a long time, really liked the guy even though he was quirkly. I knew he knew his stuff, you know, I didn't want to fly with anyone else.

I took a little break during instruction because of a change in careers. When I went back, it was with a different instructor --great guy and I learned things from him that I hadn't from the first guy.

I started taking my flying gear with me when I traveled and booking lessons wherever I went, one or two each time. Lo and behold, I found out that I learned more by trying different teachers because not every teacher is good at everything. In the end, I believe I became a much better pilot than I otherwise would have been.

I applied the same philosophy to scuba and find utilizing different Instructors has helped me learn different techniques and styles, ultimately exposing me to much more than if I had stuck with the same person or couple of people all the way though.

So, while your OW instructor was clearly great, it may be a good idea to try someone else for AOW just so you are exposed to different ideas --and forget about the shop owner and his 'going to Hell in a handbasket' remarks.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom