AOW Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucho Sucko. You quite clearly paid for something you didn't receive. You deserve a partial (at least) refund.

fisherdvm:
I would threaten to report them to ... the BBB.

I agree, except I'd go beyond threats: report them. Period.

You could post the name of the offender here. With the size of this board, it appears that it should make the rounds in one way or another. As suggested, at the very least, you should report them to their certification agency. Sorry for the bad luck!!

Yet another bad instructor pushing students through with sub-standard training. The AOW training depends on the Instructor and who is conducting the session. It can be a positive learning experience given the correct Instructor. All to often, standards are ignored to save time and money. A co-worker of mine had the similiar situation and it was determined that the instructor wanted to "pocket" more money rather then pay the boat to take them out to conduct the dives.

Some of these so called instructors get away with this because "some" but not all ,divers are more concerned with the "C-card" than the training required to receive it.

I agree with the other instructors that have responded; it was unfortunate that you didn't get what they led you to expect. The AOW can be a blast, and many students use it to safely experience an array of new dive conditions. There are two things to consider; the standards for performance and the client's expectations. While the instructor in this case may have snuck-by on the standards for that agency; he/she clearly did not meet the client or student's expectations. They either oversold the program; or didn't properly set expectations for the dives in that course if conditions were to change. Boat charters, weather, currents class size all factor into what an instructor must manage. Based on your comments I would post dissatisfaction with the agency on that instructor, let the community (us) know, and finally let the dive shop know.:no

Steve R:
As soon as the shine wears off that Instructor's card you have, you'll realize that most agencies (Padi anyway) doesn't give a rats-behind about their own standards really.
My hat's off to you buddy, you're doing the right thing, but you think the agency is in your corner. Sorry to tell you bud, they're not.

I've been personally contacted by PADI as a witness for a QA investigation. In fact, it was a situation similar to this one - a customer was disatisfied with what was done during an AOW course.

As for the AOW issue, I was not a direct witness, so my word meant diddly squat. QA told me as much. However they asked me about realted things for which I was able to provide help.

Steve R:
Please prove me wrong and help the student file that complaint after you've verified that in fact there really was a standards violation in your opinion.

I would love to see the good-guys win for a change.

As would I. Unfortunately, I cannot submit it myself for the reason described above. <waits for PM>

It's really not difficult to do, just call PADI directly and tell the operator you want to file a complaint about an instructor breaking standards. They will route you to the appropriate person.

Sounds like you are getting advanced though someone like PADI. I think the get certified one weekend and doing five dives the next to get a advanced card is a joke.

Now I did my OW with Naui in 74,..it was like going through rescue today. I also did my advanced with Padi, the night dive the instructor did not get in the water, the deep boat dive he left my buddy and I on the surface and we never saw him from descent until wwe were back on the boat.
I did rescue and Divemaster with PADI in the 80's
I am a SDI instructor,..SDI lilke many agencies , require 20 dives and five specialties for advanced.

rakkis:
I've been personally contacted by PADI as a witness for a QA investigation. In fact, it was a situation similar to this one - a customer was disatisfied with what was done during an AOW course.

As for the AOW issue, I was not a direct witness, so my word meant diddly squat. QA told me as much. However they asked me about realted things for which I was able to provide help.

As would I. Unfortunately, I cannot submit it myself for the reason described above. <waits for PM>

It's really not difficult to do, just call PADI directly and tell the operator you want to file a complaint about an instructor breaking standards. They will route you to the appropriate person.

Good job, thanks

rakkis:

The question isn't did anyone call you, the question is, what did they ever do about it that made a real difference at the end of the day? They're excellent at putting up a good front, that's for sure.

Heck, I've seen students and their friends lie to try and get shop in trouble, it was pretty see through though since the students failed a course not 2 weeks before and then got pissy about it,........so ya really gotta watch what ya turn in. Make sure it's real.

Even so as I said before, after seeing dozens of outright standard violations, calling them in and following them up, Padi is batting a thousand in the do-nothing column. It's pretty clear here what's going on.

These idiots have even issued an OW card to a diver who was going after their AOW cert and sending in the dives...........lol...........Padi asked for the dive log and received several dives over 60ft (The students Deep, wreck dives etc for AOW).

The question should have been what is the instructor doing with these divers way beyond 60ft in an OW class, maybe we should find out, but nope.....................lol. Here's your card, where's your visa...

Knuckleheads, the lot of them.

Trust them?,...why again? I missed it.

Good luck bud. If you plan on dealing with them often enough, plan on bringing the hip-waders.

I pay afterwards. I guess that is something you would have to work out with them. Very rarely will I ever pay for something before I know what I am going to get.

Steve R:
The question isn't did anyone call you, the question is, what did they ever do about it that made a real difference at the end of the day? They're excellent at putting up a good front, that's for sure.

An extremely active member was suspended for a few months. Another got harsher disciplinary action. I prefer not to get too specific.

From my understanding, quite a few people's testimony (for lack of a better word) went into it. Some good, some bad. QA put everything together and did their thing.

Back
Top Bottom