AOW Dive Expiration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When there are enough people? Can you elaborate? I never take more than two students on a deep dive. More than that, especially for AOW is very risky.
Man I wish I lived where you live and you were the Instructor around here. It really seems like this business is all about "cranking people out". I ended up with only three students when we did our AOW deep dive, but the shop said there could be as many as eight. I was like, "How is one instructor going to keep his/her eyes on eight students at a time?" Especially when probably most if not all of the students hadn't dove that deep before. And around here, your deep diving in "a hole" in a quarry, so it's a bit of an other-worldly experience.

I wish there was much more consistency in the scuba training I've been exposed to.

Best,
-Tim

The problem I often see is that instructors don't realize how bad things can go until they do. Then the we do this all the time excuse/justification doesn't mean squat. I also do not view a quick trip to 80 or 90 ft to open a lock, or look at a color chart as a proper deep dive. You figure out the gas you'll need, add a redundant bottle, and do an actual dive related task while maintaining good buddy position and communications. Then you throw in some kind of rescue or assist task and look for the reaction. Couple that with deployment of the pony or stage at half max depth and finish the dive with multiple stops. All while maintaining good trim and buoyancy. That is a proper deep dive in my opinion. I have seen a shop take 6 people deep with one dm and no redundant gas on anyone. That to me is asking for some one to get hurt. Especially in low vis and 40 degree water at depth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 years is a long time with no diving and then expecting to do a deep dive. I don't know for certain what the PADI requirements are (although I think you have 1 year to complete the cert), for your own safety and benefit I would think re-taking the the course would be a good idea. The cert is just a card, but actually having the knowledge behind the card is an entirely different matter, and I wouldn't want to over-sell my ability.

First of all welcome back to diving :)

Here's an idea...why not complete your refresher as planned, and talk to your LDS about joining your buddy who's taking the full AOW as a fun diver. This way, you get to dive together and you don't need to pay to repeat stuff you've done already, but you still get a review of adventure dives you've done previously. Then complete the deep adventure dive as planned & get signed off for your AOW.

Depending on the dive centres ethics, this may or may not work. Guess it depends how money hungry they are.... Its a bit different for us as we're in the tourist market as opposed to being an LDS, but if someone was to walk into my office with the same scenario as you, that's what I'd recommend.

Good luck :)

Now, three years later, I have a buddy that is completing his AOW and wants to dive.

What would worry me a bit here is the motivation for finishing up that AOW interrupted 3 years ago... could you be experiencing a little bit of a peer pressure from that buddy, even if in a very subtle form? After such a long break, I really would not rush into doing anything "deep" or advanced... maybe take it slow for now, and just go out on a bunch of easy dives before you resume your AOW? AFAIK, the whole point of AOW is to experience diving in a variety of conditions, but to make the best out of it, you would want to be comfortable in diving within the OW limits, and outgrowing those limits. AOW immediately following a scuba refresher somehow does not sound right.

kr3y5:
What would worry me a bit here is the motivation for finishing up that AOW interrupted 3 years ago... could you be experiencing a little bit of a peer pressure from that buddy, even if in a very subtle form?

Not at all. It's more about finishing what I started, but there is not timeline associated with it. I'm not rushing into anything. I was asking if it is possible to complete it with just the deep dive or would I have to take the course again. Today, I found an LDS that is willing to do this for me. We will do some pool time first for refresher training and assess where I am. I want to experience the deep diving in the environment of a training setting to test the knowledge and skills I have thus far. It doesn't necessarily mean I will go out every weekend diving the deep waters of the Gulf.

As far as my buddy is concerned, he got the AOW because he is going somewhere that will have some diving below 60'. He and I will likely just stay in local lakes where it doesn't get that deep.

I agree with Jim's approach. I want to be trained, and I want to practice, because I want to be safe. I was very disheartened with the approach of two LDSs. This turned me off and away from diving. I didn't know anyone that dived and seeing what other students in these classes were getting through with just made it worse. While searching for alternatives and hoping to meet people to dive with, I ran into a lot of medical and legal issues that took my time and money away from any extracurricular activities, especially diving, thus the long break.

Man I wish I lived where you live and you were the Instructor around here. It really seems like this business is all about "cranking people out". I ended up with only three students when we did our AOW deep dive, but the shop said there could be as many as eight. I was like, "How is one instructor going to keep his/her eyes on eight students at a time?" Especially when probably most if not all of the students hadn't dove that deep before. And around here, your deep diving in "a hole" in a quarry, so it's a bit of an other-worldly experience.

I wish there was much more consistency in the scuba training I've been exposed to.

Best,
-Tim

This is a PADI thing not necessarily a SCUBA thing. A different agency will give you a different experience.

This is a PADI thing not necessarily a SCUBA thing. A different agency will give you a different experience.

That is absolutely not true. It is more of an instructor/shop thing.

Per PADI standards it is true that 8:1 is a ratio for instructor to student, and it has to be direct supervision.

Here's an idea...why not complete your refresher as planned, and talk to your LDS about joining your buddy who's taking the full AOW as a fun diver. This way, you get to dive together and you don't need to pay to repeat stuff you've done already, but you still get a review of adventure dives you've done previously. Then complete the deep adventure dive as planned & get signed off for your AOW.

That's what the local instructor here would do. I catch him a couple of times a year and buddy up with anyone in the AOW or specialty class (I've taken) that needs a buddy for the dive. It's a lot of fun and I have picked up a buddy there to dive with me elsewhere.

I also show and demonstrate the vintage gear I have and try to give some history to the sport.

Bob
-------------------------------------
All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

That is absolutely not true. It is more of an instructor/shop thing.

Per PADI standards it is true that 8:1 is a ratio for instructor to student, and it has to be direct supervision.

Agreed....but 8:1 is a MAXIMUM ratio....nothing in the standards requires that, and it fact it is recommended to reduce the ratio for conditions, comfort, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom