AOW/Expierence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are comfortable as a diver when getting your open water certification and have the opportunity to make some dives in your comfort zone with peers or mentors I suggest making some. How many depends, 10 or so is probably plenty, more is OK.

My rationalle is that in AOW you will be doing some new stuff. Going deeper, into the night, performing navigation tasks, whatever. Getting the basics on their way to being habit will let you concentrate on the new stuff and get more out of those specialties. After you make your openwater dives reflect at how much attention you had to devote to observing, sight seeing and relaxing. If the dive was a blur of new sensations and excitement do you really think you can effectively absorb much new stuff immediately?

If you are not comfortable to make uninstructed dives then go straight to AOW so they can finish what they started.

There is no one right answer and like most things scuba it depends on your ability, comfort and circumstance.

Pete

DiverBuoy:
Hmm, come again, what does the cert mean?

The cert means you have the knowledge and ability to be an advanced diver.

It does not mean you have honed those skills to and advanced stage. :D

If the AOW is through the college it may be geared toward having students move directly from OW to AOW. That's the way our program is, there is a lot of classroom work since you are getting a grade (pass/fail) and a lot of dive time (you have to get 400 minutes of open water bottom time in class to pass).
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
If the AOW is through the college it may be geared toward having students move directly from OW to AOW. That's the way our program is, there is a lot of classroom work since you are getting a grade (pass/fail) and a lot of dive time (you have to get 400 minutes of open water bottom time in class to pass).
Well at my university they do offer it as a class, but the Scuba club also offers certification, and I chose to go through the Club, becasue the club is more active as a group, and they go diving every weekend during the summer with free use of gear and stuff so you just can't beat it. The other advantage is that I work with the same insturctor continously with the club, and they give some good individual attention and really like I'm confident they wouldn't let me register for a class I wasn't ready for, or like say if they though i would be better off workign on somelthing else they would definatly stear me in the right direction they know my diving abilities probably better than I do they're great guys.

I'm guessing from your description of the program and the participants that they won't let you go squeaking by without actually earning your AOW cert. :biggrin: No reason not to go straight from OW to AOW in that sort of learning environment. Sounds like you'll end up getting some practice with simpler dives as well as the required AOW dives.

m3830431:
The cert means you have the knowledge and ability to be an advanced diver.

It does not mean you have honed those skills to and advanced stage. :D

You learn something new every day, I always thought it meant you took a class and got a card.

AOW is an opportunity to get more experience and learn more under the supervision of an Instructor.

Do it as soon as possible!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom