AOW/Expierence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brutus,

Here's my 2 cents as a PADI AOW diver who still has yet to turn his "Logged Dives" from the "0-15" category.

I think it all is about the mindset that you take your AOW. If you take AOW thinking that you are really going to be an "Advanced" diver, then you are probably going at this wrong.

If however, you see AOW as the second part of your BOW certification and understand your own diving limitations, I think it is worthwhile. This is much why we took AOW when we did.

Am I an "Advanced" diver? By no one's measure is this the case.

Am I a better diver after 5 additional dives with an instructor than I would have been with just an additional 5 dives? I would say absolutely.

When you look at some of the "specialty" dives that most people take...navigation, peak performance bouyancy, drift, etc...they are not anything more than what you can find yourself doing with a simple BOW certification.

With the exception of the greater depth that you will dive for your "deep" dive and possibly the wreck--if it is >60 feet (as they seem to usually be)--you are concentrating more on the things you need to know to dive within BOW limits more safely. I would also contend that most of the lessons learned (at least what I learned) during the deep/wreck dives can also be applied to BOW-limited dives.

Again, I think it all depends on your mindset and what your expectations of the course are.

What ever it's worth (which is probably only the two cents deposited),

Jan

I agree with Jan, if you are comfortable in the water go ahead and take now, will only make you better and not hurt you unless you let it get to your head. If later you decide you werent ready for it the first time you can take some of the classes again as refresher courses. Nothing wrong with learning especially from trained professionals.

IF and this is the big if... If your OW class served its puprose and prepared you for novice dives then I suggest getting some dives under your belt before doing AOW. The number is a very individual thing. If you twist my arm for a number I'd say more than 5 and less than 30. When you feel competent making simple shore dives with a mentor of fellow novice then it's time to move on.

My logic is that in AOW you will be extending your diving into some new areas, deep, night, whatever. Having the basics down to routine somewhat will let you get the most out of the new experiences and learn the most.

I have a healthy respect for task loading and trowing a freshly certified diver into something like a night dive is asking for trouble. YMMV

If you were the one in the class that this has all come easy to, if you have good buoyancy control and are really comfortable then I'd go soon.

Pete

If you are intent on doing your AOW using the usual agencies (cough cough PADI cough cough), take AOW right after OW. Its only five example/sample dives anyway. It works out to be an expensive 5 dives vs. just going on a charter, but what the heck, you'll be an "advanced" diver (or will you?) But then I'm giving you advice I haven't taken myself. :33:

diveman7683:
Depending on what agency you're certified with will depend on how quickly you get your AOW. With PADI you can take AOW right after OW. SSI requires you to have 24 logged dives and specialties.
This is worth clarifying. You can do all of the four SSI specialties right after OW, getting the SSI AOW card is just a matter of logging a total of 24 dives including all the training dives (OW and specialty).

Seems like it depends on time etc... I did open water 05/05 and I just got my book for AOW on firday. I did about 35 dives last summer after openwater class. I just wanted to practice some before AOW. Just my thoughts good luck and Enjoy your class and summer of diving. From your location I would suspect you will be diving Gilboa. I went there last fall, great diving for a Quarry.

Much debated, good arguments on both sides. Is AOW an "accomplishment" class, where it means you have some actual dive experienced, or is it a "learning" class, where you learn the things you "should've learned in OW, so get them early on").

Personal opinion only, if you think your OW training was pretty good--get 25 dives in under a variety of conditions and temperatures, then take AOW. Do another 25, then take Rescue.

Yep...
DandyDon:
Like I said....
Originally Posted by DandyDon
Commonly debated topic here.
grinning-smiley-005.gif

spectrum:
I have a healthy respect for task loading and trowing a freshly certified diver into something like a night dive is asking for trouble. YMMV

I can see your reasoning there. I was still quite new when I did my 1st night dive. I think I had 5 dives under my belt, I was in Fiji and quite nervous about the whole thing, but seeing that Fiji has incredible vis, the second I put my head under I loved it and felt like that was the most relaxed I've ever been diving. I think it depends on the person, but in general.... getting more experiance before night diving and the like is good advice.

Originally OW and AOW where one class along with some specialty dives. The class lasted to long to get all the interested people into the certification process for the Agencys. So the divided into two classed.

AOW does not mean you are an advanced diver, only that you are certified to learn advances skills.

I say take it right away it gives you more dives with and instructor during the early stage of your diving which can't be all bad and it forces you to continue to dive which is very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom