AOW or More OW dives first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hamelekim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got my OW back in 1993 when I was in highschool. I've been in school and haven't been able to afford to dive, or didn't make it a priority while in school. I recently moved out to British Columbia and am looking at getting back into Diving again. The last time I went diving was in 1997 in California (my only ocean dive ever).

That's the background I'm coming from. So now, I am wondering if I should do a refresher along with a bunch of OW dives just to get back into diving before I take my AOW, or should I take a refresher and then sign up for AOW? Or would it even matter if I want to do my AOW?

I know I need the refresher for sure, and probably 5 or more dives with a DM or something along those lines to feel comfortable diving again, at least that's how I feel.

What would my best course of action be if I want to do my AOW?

hamelekim:
So now, I am wondering if I should do a refresher along with a bunch of OW dives just to get back into diving before I take my AOW, or should I take a refresher and then sign up for AOW? Or would it even matter if I want to do my AOW?

I know I need the refresher for sure, and probably 5 or more dives with a DM or something along those lines to feel comfortable diving again, at least that's how I feel.

What would my best course of action be if I want to do my AOW?

Looks like you already know the answer. I would do just that. Get some dives in and take a refresher. That will give you a chance to get the most out of your AOW training and not be task loaded by having to relearn the skills you were taught in OW. Some agencies require a minimum of 20 OW dives before AOW and I'm not sure that is such a bad idea.

Welcome to BC btw.

Totally agree with what Wedivebc said. I went right into my AOW after getting my OW and EANx certs only because I took right to diving and feel very comfortable with it. And on a plus side I'm gaining more knowledge on my dives that I would be doing anyway.

I agree :lol:. I took my AOW course a year after my OW with 45 dives under my belt. I felt I learned more then some of the other students who basically came from their OW dives to this course.

wedivebc:
Looks like you already know the answer. I would do just that. Get some dives in and take a refresher. That will give you a chance to get the most out of your AOW training and not be task loaded by having to relearn the skills you were taught in OW. Some agencies require a minimum of 20 OW dives before AOW and I'm not sure that is such a bad idea.

Welcome to BC btw.
Yeah, I was just sort of looking for some confirmation of what I thought was the best choice. I'll probably do just that, thanks for the response.

Get what you need to be comfortable.

The refresher I think we all agree is a no brainer, just do it.

After that do some dives. Depending how much prior diving you did, how good the refresher is, and how much of a natural you are then diving with peers, a mentor a DM could all be appropriate.

Getting back into diving you should have no immediate need for what AOW offers so I'd suggest something like a dozen conservative dives in your comfort zone to reset your basic skills. This will free you to absorb the new information, skills and experiences of AOW.

Pete

My opinion is do what gets you diving the most. The more you dive the more comfortable you will get.

I'd suggest, and many dive instructors agree with me, you take the peak performance
Buoyancy specialty course. I think it should be mandatory for all open water divers, before pursuing AOW. It will give you the confidence you're seeking, plus one specialty towards Master Diver.

Regards,
Mark

LuvsItWet:
I'd suggest, and many dive instructors agree with me, you take the peak performance
Buoyancy specialty course. I think it should be mandatory for all open water divers, before pursuing AOW. It will give you the confidence you're seeking, plus one specialty towards Master Diver.

Regards,
Mark

I think this is very good advise as it's the item that most new divers struggle with the most.

You will hear a ton of information regarding this. And no matter what, if you walk into any....again....any....dive shop they are not going to tell you to take you money else where. So just do it, get it over with and if need be....teach yourself if you think you missed something. If you passed the 8th grade you will be able to read and understand all of the written material given.

Hopefully you can land one of the few and far between instructors (its an instructor based course like all training in the scuba world) that CARE.

Come on...lets not BS each other here. "Advanced diver" is a way to make money for the LDS, boat operators, certifying organizations, resort operators, tour guides, octopuses, fisherman, trolls and anybody else you can think of.

The truth hurts...

Back
Top Bottom