AOW or More OW dives first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1:
Come on...lets not BS each other here. "Advanced diver" is a way to make money for the LDS, boat operators, certifying organizations, resort operators, tour guides, octopuses, fisherman, trolls and anybody else you can think of.

The truth hurts...

"Advanced diver" cert isn't the only one. How about most of the other "specialty" certs and the pressured sales pitch most instructors give ? Almost seems like part of the instructor training is how to sell more cert classes.

I did a stroll down memory lane last night looking at my log book. There were several long gaps in my diving and my comments reflected this. I even took on AOW after a 2 year lack of diving.

I would not recommend it. Just do a bunch of dives and get comfortable again before taking any classes. There is nothing "wimpy" about a 20 foot dive to get you gear comfortable again.

I did a 90 foot, 60 degree water, 20 foot vis (which is good for this site), cavern dive with a guy yesterday who was working on his Tec Deep Diver class that morning and wanted an "easy" dive to sort out his new backplate and wing (he finally came over from the dark side from his back inflate BC). I was getting comfy with my drysuit and the depth in the quarry on his easy dive.

Find someone with more experience with you and take a 20-30 foot dive. It will help. Then look at classes. There is no hurry, and you have the rest of your life to ENJOY diving.

Not sure I'd want to dive with you. No disrespect intended, but I learned a LOT from my specialty courses and intend to take more.

Regards!
Mark
Master Diver "knowledge is power"

Do more OW dives. And do AOW. And get your Nitrox cert. Just keep diving to the level that you're capable of. And if you can dive with an instructor, as with AOW, then that's even better. There are no rules. I'm sure you're smart enough not to start out with a 130ft cave dive. If you're not that smart, then there's a different forum where we can discuss what you did wrong after you're gone.

Be safe, brother...

LuvsItWet:
Not sure I'd want to dive with you. No disrespect intended, but I learned a LOT from my specialty courses and intend to take more.

Regards!
Mark
Master Diver "knowledge is power"

No disrespect taken. I am sure there is plenty to learn in specialty or any class.

My point was the pressured sales approach seems motivated more towards making money than educating. In my experiences, I frequently get a sales pitch to take more and more classes. This is without them seeing me dive or discussing my needs. I don't think I am alone in this as I see them make the same pitch to other divers in the shop or on the boat.

HappyFunBoater:
Do more OW dives. And do AOW. And get your Nitrox cert. Just keep diving to the level that you're capable of. And if you can dive with an instructor, as with AOW, then that's even better. There are no rules. I'm sure you're smart enough not to start out with a 130ft cave dive. If you're not that smart, then there's a different forum where we can discuss what you did wrong after you're gone.

Be safe, brother...

I don't think I want to do dives deeper then 100ft. The only reason I think I would ever need to go that deep is to see more of a wreck. Is Nitrox certification worth getting even if you never plan on diving using it?

hamelekim:
I don't think I want to do dives deeper then 100ft. The only reason I think I would ever need to go that deep is to see more of a wreck. Is Nitrox certification worth getting even if you never plan on diving using it?

Nothing wrong with that. Plenty to see in the first 100, safest and best light.

Nitrox is only of anecdotal value until you begin to bump into your No Decompression Limits. Right now you probably end the dive for air supply. Read up on the topic and get it when needed. Getting it way in advance of any need just gives you time to forget what you learned.

Pete

hamelekim:

Nitrox is for reduced surface intervals or longer bottom time, not for increased depth. In fact, you can't go as deep with Nitrox as you can with regular air. Spectrum is right that bottom time is typically limited by the size of the air supply, not what's in it.

Nitrox won't do you any good if you're just diving around 30ft, even though some folks say it makes them feel better and have more energy. Nitrox is useful in the 70-100ft range if you plan on doing a lot of diving.

the refresher is a must but why not go to the next level ....... If the course is decent they will have enough trainning and pool work to make you comfortable. Why not get the added skills and information? why go out and practice diving if your not real sure what you are practicing?

First, where are you in BC? If you are around Vancouver, drop me a PM and I can probably introduce you to some folks (i.e. local instructors).

Second, get advice from people who dive around here. Cold water tips are different IMO than warm water. IMO, stopping off at a good shop and speaking with people that folks that train people in this water who can evaluate where you are, get you into a pool to do a refesher and then work with you to work out what's going to work for you given our local conditions.

Example: Diving in 48 degree water, I doubt you'd want to have nitrox right away. Staying in something that cold for longer than 55 minutes (i.e. 55 mintues at 60') seems doubtful.

:)

Again, welcome to BC and have fun diving around here.

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom