AOW Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm certified SSI OW diver, and seriously considering obtaining an advanced open water cert to continue my dive education.

Loved my instructor, and would not hesitate to continue with her. Sadly she has since moved on to another shop across the bay, a bit too far to travel to for evening classes. The shop I certified in is still an SSI shop, just not comfortable at all with the instructor there now.

Been doing a lot of business with another local shop but they're NAUI. Is there any reason not to obtain NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver in lieu of the SSI Advanced Open Water cert?

Thanks!

From what I gathered you can do training with any agency as long as you meet the requirements. The thing that will hold you back is from Padi for instance if you wanted to obtain a Master scuba Diver cert. you have to complete all the requirements through Padi. and I am sure each agency has something like that. But i believe you can still go forward and DiveMaster and all others with different organizations.

SSI Advanced "class" (like the PADI Master Diver "class") is not really a class, it requires that you collect four specialty cards, and then pay an extra fee for the card. Most of the other agency's advanced classes are actual courses with standards and required curriculum.

SSI Advanced "class" (like the PADI Master Diver "class") is not really a class, it requires that you collect four specialty cards, and then pay an extra fee for the card. Most of the other agency's advanced classes are actual courses with standards and required curriculum.

I did not have to pay a fee for my SSI AOW card.

To the OP, most agencies recognise the courses of other agencies if you want to do AOW. As someone else said, keeping things with SSI is only relevent if you want to get Master Diver (but yea, I don't see a point to this myself).

Great, thanks all for the replies. Basically what was hoping to hear... and don't think I'll be pursuing Master Diver certification.

You sound like you are going the right route. Master Diver is a marketing gimmick by PADI, SSI, etc. It means very little other than an ego stroke or feather in your cap.

You are doing a great thing by seeking an instructor you feel comfortable with and has a good rep. Two identical classes between agencies can be made worlds apart by a super instructor,

There is no Advanced OWD Class under SSI.
To achieve SSI Advanced OWD certification you need to check-out 4 specialties and 24 dives (checkout dives for the specialties count within the 24 dives).
With this you can start the AOWD certification card paperwork. The new certification card costs $ 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom